Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well Serena Williams is supposed to be Jehovia Witness and I do remember her after her win she thanked Jehovia.
Yet I believe she faded away from going to Kingdom Halls, and she had a baby out of wedlock. That not acceptable in JW practices. If she continued going to KIngdom Halls then it be a bigger issue for JWs. She is not even a baptised member,
and JWs would not consider her to be a JW. However the JWS would certainly welcome the finances she can bring to the institution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tglTAibExHI

In addition Michael Jackson grew up in a JW home and was JW throughout his life. A way his parents ensured they don't get part of the wrong crowd, their children were forced everyday to sing at home and take singing lessons there and the parents did that in order avoid as much as possible to avoid evil outside influences and keep them occupied. He also stated he was sorry for the release of Thriller song, and at the beginning of the song there is a message stating he does not into the occult or endorses it. Yet a few years later he stopped going to Kingdom hall. A few years after he left the JW, he celebrated his first Christmas after some years of convincing from Elizabeth Taylor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HEARjO0uUSame with several of his siblings. He did have a JW funeral at the wishes of his JW mother.

In addition Prince was a JW as well. He also attended a KIngdom hall. I guess he was the most devout of all the celebrities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNJ1s_5PB0U
Betting the Kingdom Hall is still looking for Serena's 10% tithe, huh?

Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 3,516 times
JWs very sternly discourage JW members from sports. Not that you can not play baseball at a picnic of JWs but any sports in anyway in competition is discouraged. A JW member would be considered weak and not given any "privileges" in the hall if they were active in sports. Serena Williams is not a Jehovahs Witness, not a baptized one. They do not actively participate in the JW preaching. Serena was pregnant out of wedlock and this in and of itself would make her disfellowshipped.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, to each his own, huh? I believe God thinks balance is important, and that He would want us to excel in whatever area He has gifted us with abilities, whether it be in sports, the arts, or a career in medicine or teaching or anything else that benefits mankind. People need to have interests other than preaching the gospel in order to lead the kind of lives I believe God wants us to live. Naturally, I don't expect you to agree.
When does a God ever think differently about "ideals" than the respective believer?

Creating God in one's own image - Not Exactly Rocket Science

Furthermore, it could be that Jehova Witnesses are all "gifted" with the "ability" to restrain and restrict themselves in whatever ways they see fit... so then, perhaps, their seemingly ridiculous aversions actually have them in perfect "balance" and "completeness" with a Heavenly -Politics- King to Fear and Love.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:45 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Well, to each his own, huh? I believe God thinks balance is important, and that He would want us to excel in whatever area He has gifted us with abilities, whether it be in sports, the arts, or a career in medicine or teaching or anything else that benefits mankind. People need to have interests other than preaching the gospel in order to lead the kind of lives I believe God wants us to live. Naturally, I don't expect you to agree.

There would be 0 balance trying to be good enough to make the Olympics and keeping kingdom interests first in ones life. False reasoning can make it seem different.
Did not one of the apostles tell Jesus he had to go bury his Father--Jesus said--let the dead bury the dead. Mortals do not see reality for what it actually is.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:28 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
There would be 0 balance trying to be good enough to make the Olympics and keeping kingdom interests first in ones life. False reasoning can make it seem different.
That may be true for someone who is a Jehovah's Witness. Perhaps God expects them to not have any kind of a life outside of their witnessing. I know it's not like that for the rest of Christianity (or, "Christendom" as you call us). Most of us believe that God has given us gifts, talents, and abilities and is pleased when we use them. He also expects us to put Him first in our lives, but I don't think He's expecting us to punch in and out on a time clock.

Quote:
Did not one of the apostles tell Jesus he had to go bury his Father--Jesus said--let the dead bury the dead. Mortals do not see reality for what it actually is.
Yeah, except for JW mortals, and they've got all the answers.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:25 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Serena won Gold medals at the Olympics as well, as well as all her Grand Slams.
The Olympics is about representing your country, as much as yourself. (unlike individual tennis events)
Was she allowed to salute the flag and sing the National Anthem as well?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:15 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Serena won Gold medals at the Olympics as well, as well as all her Grand Slams.
The Olympics is about representing your country, as much as yourself. (unlike individual tennis events)
Was she allowed to salute the flag and sing the National Anthem as well?
Serena did not go to the Kindom hall and was not baptised. If she was baptised then she would not be allowed to salute to the national flag and sing the national anthem. She a lapsed JW yet still believes in Jehovia.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
That may be true for someone who is a Jehovah's Witness. Perhaps God expects them to not have any kind of a life outside of their witnessing. I know it's not like that for the rest of Christianity (or, "Christendom" as you call us). Most of us believe that God has given us gifts, talents, and abilities and is pleased when we use them. He also expects us to put Him first in our lives, but I don't think He's expecting us to punch in and out on a time clock.

Jw,s have a life--Just not one that shoves kingdom interests into 2nd place--The world wants it shoved into 2nd place--they can appease their flesh that way.
When Jesus said--FIRST at Matt 6:33--he meant it. Over family--over EVERYTHING.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:42 PM

10,037 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
I find the Bible's wisdom as found at 1st Timothy 4:8 informs us that bodily exercise is only beneficial for little.
Young Timothy, after his baptism, soon became a missionary. In other words, he put spiritual goals as first priority.
Bodily training focuses inward on self. Spiritual training focuses outward on other's best welfare.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:11 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find the Bible's wisdom as found at 1st Timothy 4:8 informs us that bodily exercise is only beneficial for little.
Young Timothy, after his baptism, soon became a missionary. In other words, he put spiritual goals as first priority.
Bodily training focuses inward on self. Spiritual training focuses outward on other's best welfare.
To each his own. I believe in balance, but I'm not asking you to. Anyway, the point isn't whether we should exercise or not. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality