Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 05:25 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times

Advertisements

What is the percentage of irreligious inmates in prisons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 05:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
school shootings are going up also. less false hope = no point for some.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
What is the percentage of irreligious inmates in prisons?
what they don't tell you is that there are far more believers in something. Like we are part of a larger more complex system that can can described as life.

of course that makes sense because that belief is science based.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:43 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
school shootings are going up also. less false hope = no point for some.
That's a good point. I wonder what the religious beliefs of those school shooters are? We know what religious beliefs of David Koresh had. Hang on - didn't he sex other men's wives? Even to the extent of banning them from having sex with their own wives?

Then there was the Jonestown massacre, also committed by a strongly religious person. Christian in fact.

Quote:
Jonestown, Guyana was the scene of one of the most harrowing tragedies in American history. On November 18, 1978, at the direction of charismatic cult leader Jim Jones, 909 members of the People’s Temple died, all but two from apparent cyanide poisoning, in a “revolutionary suicide.” They included over 200 murdered children. The poisonings in Jonestown followed the murder of five others, including Congressman Leo Ryan, by Temple members at the nearby Port Kaituma airstrip. It was the largest mass suicide in modern history and resulted in the largest single loss of American civilian life in a non-natural disaster until September 11, 2001.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:17 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
We'll see how worshiping the machine works out for you in the long run. Similar to how worshiping an insect colony would, I predict.
Worshiping what machine?

The machine you're typing on right now?

Old 05-20-2018, 12:21 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Those who don't elevate a "god" tend to elevate the insect colony, or machine, that is the "people" or proletariat. Which is the exact opposite concept of god, by definition. Any denial of god is the elevation of the machine, or the animal.

If theology and politics aren't your strong suits, maybe consider bailing out of the conversation now. I'll be content to leave it here.
That was a stretch.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:36 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Those who don't elevate a "god" tend to elevate the insect colony, or machine, that is the "people" or proletariat.
WOW where did you get this indoctrination from? Or did you just conjure this up in your mind?

The horrors that the human species have engaged in since recorded history (predominantly by the male species) are nothing that deserves being elevated or placed on a pedestal.

You are living in total delusion to think that those who don't elevate a god tend to elevate humans instead. That's truly a far stretch!

Last edited by Matadora; 05-20-2018 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I don't think the believers really do their cause any good by trying to make their theistical fantasies look more appealing by peeing over humans, our technology, learning and science, especially when we point out how they are helping themselves to all the benefits of a safer, easier and more comfortable life than humans have ever had, and with more opportunity to learn, enjoy and experience than anyone could have imagined - and they then turn around and talk about it as though it was trash.

The best and classic example of this was what i will post again as it is really required watching. I now call the 'appeal to unknows' the Venomfang fallacy, and he also pees over scientific knowledge in hopes to make theistic fantasy look a bit more credible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0pjFr_vS5U

It bears reposting as this fellow is (or was - he should have been as surely debunked as Hovingd Ham, Lane - Craig, Strobel and Stein ...and pretty much all the rest of them) one of the most watched Creationist apologists on the web. And now one of the most soundly debunked, and indeed discredited.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-20-2018 at 05:22 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I don't think the believers really do their cause any good by trying to make their theistical fantasies look more appealing by peeing over humans, our technology, learning and science, especially when we point out how they are helping themselves to all the benefits of a safer, easier and more comfortable life than humans have ever had, and with more opportunity to learn, enjoy and experience than anyone could have imagined - and they then turn around and talk about it as though it was trash.

The best and classic example of this was what i will post again as it is really required watching. I now call the 'appeal to unknows' the Venomfang fallacy, and he also pees over scientific knowledge in hopes to make theistic fantasy look a bit more credible.

It bears reposting as this fellow is (or was - he should have been as surely debunked as Hovingd Ham, Lane - Craig, Strobel and Stein ...and pretty much all the rest of them) one of the most watched Creationist apologists on the web. And now one of the most soundly debunked, and indeed discredited.
Their whole theology is based upon killing their god and then feasting upon his body. Leave them alone for chrissakes. Let them do their crazy thing as they feel led. Lol. Besides don't we need uncritical thinkers who will do the labor no one else will stoop to.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That's a good point. I wonder what the religious beliefs of those school shooters are? We know what religious beliefs of David Koresh had. Hang on - didn't he sex other men's wives? Even to the extent of banning them from having sex with their own wives?

Then there was the Jonestown massacre, also committed by a strongly religious person. Christian in fact.
well, ol' Jimmie and korsh are bad examples. i call that natural selection. those people followed those nut jobs from day one.

we have stalin and mao as what happens in an anti-religious society. and we have the middle east as comparison to a theists society.

I don't like either choice. I say believe what you want, help the people around you.

"irreligious", or "believers in something" will always out number the "deny anything for anti-religion reasons" denomination of atheism.

'atheism" will take over, meaning that. Over time people's connections to their surroundings tend adjust to the observation. thats a good thing. this over seer thing will go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality