Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And fundies can have an intelligent conversation without resorting to petty insults and mockery. Atheists seem to lack that ability.
It's done out of kindness and consideration, since giving the Believers the opportunity of playing the martyr to the same sort of heckling and backchat they dish out themselves gives them at least the chance to try to score a cheap point or two.

P.s I'll say this much Jeff, you do try to keep your end up. BF here has simply reverted to the stock Impudence and backchat. And he's one of the better. In fact our tougher opponents are the sortagodists like Ozzy and nateswift. Mind, some of the Bible experts like Pneuma and Mike 555 are pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 12:19 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
If that is your argument then you have to admit that the statement that the Bible is fiction is false. You only have issues with certain stories so at best , you've made a case that the Bible is partially fiction.

The problem with all your premise is that it is completely based on the rules of the physical world. You see things in the Bible that defy those rules. Yet there are many unexplained mysteries in this life. Many reports of supernatural encounters. Unless you can discount all of those then you can't legitimately hold to the premise that these rules can never be broken.
So the possibility that goddiditwithmagic is your evidence that the Bible is non-fiction. Seriously?

The brainwashing it must take to create a fundie is mind boggling.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
He’s serious

Old 05-18-2018, 12:27 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
I never stated that was my premise. I'm only saying that has to be the premise of an atheist or you are not being intellectually honest. My premise is the entire Bible is true and it is the word of God.
Your premise is a massive fail. The Bible has several easily proven falsehoods.

1. The sun does not revolve around the earth
2. Diseases are not caused by demons
3. Prayer can't cure a bacterial infection like leprosy
4. Virgins don't get pregnant
5. Dead people don't come back to life
6. Talking snakes don't operate fruit stands

Old 05-18-2018, 12:33 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
He’s serious
It's something more fascinating than the Bible itsef - the wabbling that apologsist do between trying to make the Bible work as real credible events and the temptation to wave a magic wand.

In my youth, apologitss were trying to explain the river of blood or the shekel -eating fish as having a perfectly natural explanation. My old RI teacher tried to tell us that the (claimed )curative properties of mud explained a man regaining his sight immediately. I still remember thinking - this guy is supposed to be teaching us.

And more recently a work pal (he set me on Gospel research) tried to explain the walking on the water as Jesus wading through the shallows to the shore ..again, but this stuff is so lame.

But the point is that this stuff removes the divine. There are no miracles if you can explain them naturally. Debating the Flood with old Eusebius here, I sorta manouvered him into not getting God to wave a magic wand to make some really far -fetched 'natural explanation' work. I could feel him itching for a miracle to keep every single breeding pair alive for a year or more, but he didn't dare as, as soon as God does a miracle, you don't need the flood and ark at all.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:47 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
It says right in the link BF posted that the story wasn't true.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I'm still not over the water-into-wine miracle. I really, really wanted that one to be true.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:33 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Did you know that the original Hebrew text's were written as one long sentence? There is no punctuation marks nor are there vowels. It was up the the interpreter to determine where where one sentence/paragraph/chapter ended and the next began. Likewise they had to decipher where to add vowels. For example is WR war, were, wear?

In the greek written language, no--a,an or the was written, or no commas. The translator had to know where they belonged--A major error in every trinity translation in existence

Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise= comma error
Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise=Correct

The bible is clear--Jesus was in hell( grave= memorial tomb) for 3 days. he could not be in paradise on the first day.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:35 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
In the greek written language, no--a,an or the was written, or no commas. The translator had to know where they belonged--A major error in every trinity translation in existence

The bible is clear--Jesus was in hell( grave= memorial tomb) for 3 days. he could not be in paradise on the first day.
Yet, the NWT adds an "a" in John 1

Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post

And that does nothing to dispute my comments about the Hebrew language and its writings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality