Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:34 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times

Advertisements

Faith is believing something that you know isnt true.

Con men (confidence men) use this ability to swindle naive people who don't even realize that such a thing is possible.

Last edited by granpa; 05-22-2018 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 08:46 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I think you're overstating it.

If you said that faith is believing in something about which you have no significant evidence, then I could agree.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're overstating it.

If you said that faith is believing in something about which you have no significant evidence, then I could agree.

Agreed. Faith is believing in something you really, really, really hope is true.

Although, daily on these boards we see people deflect truth with their Fundashields lest that shaky faith become shakier.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:17 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post

Con men (confidence men) use this ability to swindle naive people who don't even realize that such a thing is possible.
Is that from the atheist dictionary .

Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:

Since this is in the "Religious and SPirituality" forum, I'd prefer to go by the Biblical definition of it, which is found in Heb 11:1 "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

We don't KNOW those things to be untrue. We just can't see them. But when one makes a habit of taking Biblical things and coming up with their own wild and crazy spin on it, I don't see it as too strange that one might call it that.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
FAITH: Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:51 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Agreed. Faith is believing in something you really, really, really hope is true.

Although, daily on these boards we see people deflect truth with their Fundashields lest that shaky faith become shakier.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
FAITH: Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.
Based on what these posters are saying I guess Mrs5150, nearly all our Christian friends and myself don’t operate in faith. Gotta love the Holy Spirit! There is plenty of evidence, but the skeptic always finds a way to “explain” away or deny the spiritual.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:57 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Is that from the atheist dictionary .

It comes from an old film, I believe.

No, It's a mark Twain quote.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:57 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Based on what these posters are saying I guess Mrs5150, nearly all our Christian friends and myself don’t operate in faith. Gotta love the Holy Spirit! There is plenty of evidence, but the skeptic always finds a way to “explain” away or deny the spiritual.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
There is indeed plenty of evidence, but none of it stand up in debate.

That is whae Faith takes over and you you play the "Holy Spirit" card which is, as I have said a Faith that God is putting all the right answers into your head.

And I mean YOUR head, because those Christians who hold different views to you presumably aren't getting Inspired truth. Don't you see what's wrong with your whole way of thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality