Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You should discuss the issue at hand, which is whether Jesus will return and what the gospels say about that. It is assumed that Jesus existed and spoke. Arguing whether Jesus existed is off-topic.
Fine. Jesus will not return because it is a fable.

And I am answering that based on the way that the OP has set up the premise in the first post: "I think this fact is undeniable".

Last edited by phetaroi; 06-13-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Sure, I’ve imagined it, read, studied and discussed it. Personally, I believe in the rapture of the church, before the second coming, so I hope to be in Heaven before that great and terrible day.

Am I correct to assume you do not believe in the second coming?

No. I do not believe Jesus is going to return wearing a robe with his name on it, and dripping in blood. I find the imagery fascinating and intense. Do you imagine the details? Scenery?

I do not believe in the rapture either.

Do you tell rapture stories to your grands? How do you tell them about the second coming?

Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broscience View Post
I think this fact is undeniable. All of Jesus predictions for the future are given the exact timeline of "A Generation" (40 years) and clearly represent events of the Roman-Jewish war of 70 A.D. He says Jerusalem will be encircled with a war, the temple will be razed, etc. Most Christian scholars acknowledge that at least some of these predictions are about the war. Somehow there has developed the idea that there is another, global End Times that will be bigger and will come at an unspecified time in the future.

Another thing. Jesus never says that he will come again. He says his predictions are for when "The Son of Man" comes. It's quite a stretch to think that the was both talking about himself in third person and using a different term for himself.

In summary, the idea of a 2nd Coming of Jesus thousands of years later is not supported in the Gospels.
Yes it is.

Revelation is a book specifically written for the second coming of Jesus, and don't go out in the desert or the secret place, don't go into holy place or stand between the porch and the alter, don't look at the heavens to see somebody riding horses, the coming of the Lord is as the lightning that come to Judah and only Judah.

The RETURN of the LORD is after you see the abomination on Rosh Hashanah.

The Abomination of Desolation
(Mark 13:14-23; Luke 21:20-24)

15When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand 16Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:{YES GO UP AND GET ON YOUR ROOF AND FREAKING WAIT FOR GOD}

ARE YOU IN JUDAH? THEN WHEN YOU SEE THE ABOMINATION STANDING WITHIN YOU INSIDE YOUR HOLY PLACE, FLEE TO THE SCHOLARS IN JUDEA}

{IS JESUS SPEAKING OF FIELDS ARE CLOTHES}
18Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!{LITTLE CHILDREN WHO DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND THE MILK OF THE WORD AND CANNOT BE WEANED} 20But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day{why"}:

FOR THEN IF IT BE WINTER OR THE SABBATH, WOE IS YOU FOR........

21For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved:{what days"} but for the elect's sake{7000 REMENANT OF EPHRAIM} those days shall be shortened.

What days are they speaking of? These are set and appointed days, what days are they?

23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25Behold, I have told you before.

THEN AFTER YOU FINSH THE APPOINTED DAYS THAT ARE SHORTNED FOR THE GENTILE, ONLY THEN COMES THE CHRIST, THE RETURN OF THE SON OF MAN, BUT AFTER WHAT DAYS?

The Return of the Son of Man ~ THE LIGHTNING COMES TO Judah AND IT IS SEEN IN EPHRAIM
(Mark 13:24-27; Luke 21:25-28)

26Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of man be.of the Son 28For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No--we don't see anything stating 2000 years. God really hasn't ever worked that way.
I did not say anything where did I say it stated such a thing.

Quote:
30 years after Jesus rose from the dead.
All of the NT was not written 30 years after Jesus rose from the dead. II Peter is falsely attributed to him and Revelation is thought by many scholars to be written as late as the 90's CE. And all have it written after 63 CE. Many of the letters of Paul were written prior to 60 CE. So you point is what really. How did it answer anything I wrote?

Quote:
Some of what Daniel wrote about is actually relating to the end times.
Yeap, so? That's what I said and that is why I pointed out that God said to shut up the words until the future. Not so in Revelation.

So you really don't have anything huh!

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 06-13-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 07:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If we read Matthew 24 and Luke 21 we can see there are two (2) fulfillments:
One ' minor ' fulfillment which took place in the year 70 when the Roman armies destroyed un-faithful Jerusalem.
One MAJOR fulfillment which takes place in our day, our generation ( the setting time frame of Rev. 1:10 )
Remember: Revelation was written 'after' the generation of Jesus' day. Written at the end of the 1st century.
So, what is clear as day ( clear as a sunny day ) it that we are nearing the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as described at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 when Jesus will act.

No, that is your futuristic manipulations. All fulfillment was to be soon and near. Revelation was written by John someone of the generation Christ was speaking too. Again, a generation could is mostly a period from 20-80 years. And there were a lot of people still alive at the time of Revelation that were young or those who were born to those alive at the time thus part of that generation.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If we read Matthew 24 and Luke 21 we can see there are two (2) fulfillments:
One ' minor ' fulfillment which took place in the year 70 when the Roman armies destroyed un-faithful Jerusalem.
One MAJOR fulfillment which takes place in our day, our generation ( the setting time frame of Rev. 1:10 )
Remember: Revelation was written 'after' the generation of Jesus' day. Written at the end of the 1st century.
So, what is clear as day ( clear as a sunny day ) it that we are nearing the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as described at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 when Jesus will act.
Revelation wasn't written before 63 A.d but there is overwhelming proof that by 63 A.d. Gentiles were already going back to the pagans God's of Rome, and this is just overwhelmingly true, Revelation is written for the Gentile to reject the ways of Rome to accept the ways of Jerusalem, and Revelation was written in the full knowledge of so many Christians converting back to their paganism. There can be no doubt or debate about this fact of Revelation.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Fine. Jesus will not return because it is a fable.

And I am answering that based on the way that the OP has set up the premise in the first post: "I think this fact is undeniable".
...based on the gospels.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:43 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My thinking on this is much simpler.

Even the religious ---- here have often given the excuse that many illogical Bible stories are parables and are not to be believed in a literal sense. That makes it just as likely that Christ's great return is just as likely an illogical Bible story/parable.
Actually, it is a fait accompli. He has returned as the Comforter in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts."

Old 06-13-2018, 07:47 PM

God's laws were written in the hearts of Ephraim and Judah, Jeremiah says that God brings a New covenant for the house of Ephraim and the house of Judah. God's laws are written in their hearts, not some kind of new laws, but God's laws and this ONLY in the hearts of Ephraim and Judah as far as the prophesy goes.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:56 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
...based on the gospels.
IN my view, the gospels are historical fiction, meaning that while there may be some historical background within them, much of what is written there is fiction. There are many writings about my contention, you're free to Google them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality