Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:07 PM

22 posts, read 11,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Truly, it does not matter what we think. What matters, is what YOU feel is right. The Right Thing To Do. NO ONE can ever tell YOU what is right or wrong. No one can tell YOU, what to believe into. You will go mad in short time, listening to everyone who has naval.

The ONLY way out, and you can find that in any religion, Christianity included, is to find the truth within.
Within your-Self. It is to be found nowhere else.
Thank you, I understand.

I am very early on in my search of the truth, and have been very tempted to search for other opinions. I understand that I should really search for myself, I've already got some ideas of my own anyway. Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Realized that so many religious folks will tell you that it is not only their God but there in trepidation of their God is correct and all others false or lies. They can't all be right but they can all be wrong. What's wrong with you being agnostic?
I agree completely! They all seem to say the same thing.. sometimes I think that they all worship the same deity (when it comes down to it, in reality). I would much rather be agnostic and not be tied down by doctrine. But at the same time, the fear of hell eats at me a bit, I've been struck by it and now Christianity has got my leg, for better or for worse.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmTheReckoner View Post
I agree completely! They all seem to say the same thing.. sometimes I think that they all worship the same deity (when it comes down to it, in reality). I would much rather be agnostic and not be tied down by doctrine. But at the same time, the fear of hell eats at me a bit, I've been struck by it and now Christianity has got my leg, for better or for worse.
I was lucky as I grew up in a non religious Jewish hose hold so Hell was never a thing. The only time I heard my friends (all of Christian backgrounds) was when a certain one would start preaching hell fire and brimstone but he had to be well on his way to being totally drunk for that to begin. Most of the funerals I've been to were held in churches and never heard the pastor or priest tell the congregation that the deceased was going to hell.

If you can be a decent person without fearing of an eternal punishment why worry that a creator supposedly able to create the entire Universe appears in thousands of religions and his main concern is that you chose the correct one, usually the one your parents were? Fear is not a good way of deciding what you believe.

I went from apathetic to agnostic to an agnostic atheist. If there is a God I doubt he would be as petty as so many Christians claim and if there is no God it only matters that you lived a life that you can be proud of. On second thought, if there is a God all you should need to do is live a live that you can be proud of. By proud I mean at the end if your life being able to face others and truthfully state that you were a good and decent person.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,071,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This past Saturday night a meth head came into our townhouse community. And as I saw him walking down our street wearing only undershorts, I thought God is everywhere you look.

He tried to force his way into my house, and I thought God is everywhere you look.

He wrecked patio furniture at several townhouses, and I thought God is everywhere you look.

He smashed a window and broke into one townhouse and stole property, and I thought God is everywhere you look.

You can find evidence by observing where god isnt and what occurs when he is driven out.

We can believe not because we see god but by belief we see everything else.

But for some the light of truth merely burns.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Religion is for people who want to go to heaven.
Spirituality is for those who want to get out of hell.
God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I was lucky as I grew up in a non religious Jewish hose hold so Hell was never a thing. The only time I heard my friends (all of Christian backgrounds) was when a certain one would start preaching hell fire and brimstone but he had to be well on his way to being totally drunk for that to begin. Most of the funerals I've been to were held in churches and never heard the pastor or priest tell the congregation that the deceased was going to hell.

If you can be a decent person without fearing of an eternal punishment why worry that a creator supposedly able to create the entire Universe appears in thousands of religions and his main concern is that you chose the correct one, usually the one your parents were? Fear is not a good way of deciding what you believe.

I went from apathetic to agnostic to an agnostic atheist. If there is a God I doubt he would be as petty as so many Christians claim and if there is no God it only matters that you lived a life that you can be proud of. On second thought, if there is a God all you should need to do is live a live that you can be proud of. By proud I mean at the end if your life being able to face others and truthfully state that you were a good and decent person.
Theres a difference in being proud and gratitude.
Im not proud of being a fallible imperfect human.
Im grateful i was shown the way to try.

Sinners think theyre saints.
Saints know we're all sinners.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Religion is for people who want to go to heaven.
Spirituality is for those who want to get out of hell.
God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.
I agree with this. However on this note I have a question.

What if I study the bible independently, and do not listen to any "prophet" or church... let's say I interpret some things incorrectly.. will I go to hell? Shouldn't (the Christian) God know that I am searching?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,886,782 times
Since you believe in a higher power, you can trust in God to answer these questions. There is no book or person who can answer these questions as well as God.

Take your question directly to the source.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Theres a difference in being proud and gratitude.
Im not proud of being a fallible imperfect human.
Im grateful i was shown the way to try.

Sinners think theyre saints.
Saints know we're all sinners.
Do you mean you cannot take pride in your work? In your family? I am sure that the Washington Capitals were both proud of their accomplishments as well as being grateful of winning the Cup.

When I say I am proud of the way I have lived my life it in no way says that I am perfect or infallible. And Christians ask atheists how can we live a meaningless life. If you can have no pride or sense of accomplishmenand only think of yourself as a sinner and an unworthy person how does that give your life any meaning.

As I sure don't think of myself as perfect, wonderful or a saint then I guess I am not a sinner whereas if you believe that your a sinner you must also believe you are a saint. I don't have such a lofty view of myself. Yes I am a human with human strengths and flaws however i am only judging myself as a human. You can judge yourself against some unobtainable being in which you will always fallshort. I like being a person or human.

Being overly proud is a problem just like being very obese but being having some pride is no worse than having some shame or some desires or being happy.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,816,986 times
Quote:
I agree with this. However on this note I have a question.

What if I study the bible independently, and do not listen to any "prophet" or church... let's say I interpret some things incorrectly.. will I go to hell? Shouldn't (the Christian) God know that I am searching?
You won't be able to read the Holy Scripture without a helper.
It will just sound like a bunch of jumbled words.

Just patiently ease through and allow the Work to be done in the Lord's time.
Not everyone is gifted the same.

Start with matt, mark, luke, john.
Once you realize the burden you carry, consider why.

Last edited by pinacled; 06-14-2018 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality