Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I've made no secret of that.
I asked for your "take"..
hope it was ok I still put my 2 cents in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If it contradicts what God has already says, it's not from God, since God is not a liar. If it agrees with what God has already said, why is it needed?
No 'need'. Just happens.

I suppose, also, one could say...been to the restaurant,
saw the menu,
smelled the great food,
now why do we want to experience the food directly? It's nice.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,953,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If it contradicts what God has already says, it's not from God, since God is not a liar. If it agrees with what God has already said, why is it needed?
If the record of what God is supposed to have said were consistent and reliable you might have a leg to stand on, though individual commitment to the basis of the faith in the "New Commandment" would indicate that the guidance is a matter of application of that principle.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:20 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,953,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
No 'need'. Just happens.

saw the menu,
smelled the great food,
The menu for my local Chinese Restauant is in Italian.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The menu for my local Chinese Restauant is in Italian.
What on earth are you talking about But thanks for the laugh.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:12 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
No 'need'. Just happens.

saw the menu,
smelled the great food,
I'm just asking why? Why would God give a vision if he's said it already?

As for the menu analogy...if the menu says it's Kung Pao chicken and I experience it as Greek Yogurt....something is perhaps confused.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If the record of what God is supposed to have said were consistent and reliable you might have a leg to stand on, though individual commitment to the basis of the faith in the "New Commandment" would indicate that the guidance is a matter of application of that principle.
And there you go. Your views of Jesus is only correct if you attack Scripture and convince people it's not reliable. The issue that I have then, is why is the individual revelation you believe you have received that contradicts said Scripture to be taken as more reliable?

Old 08-21-2018, 11:14 AM

18,518 posts, read 9,201,444 times
The human brain is capable of producing all kinds of bizarre experiences. And there are plenty of chemicals that can produce bizarre experiences in the human brain when ingested.

In a pre-scientific age, it is likely that many people interpreted these experiences as direct encounters with the supernatural. In pre-scientific regions of the United States, these experiences are still interpreted as direct encounters with the supernatural.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:17 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,427,585 times
Quote:
Since we are away from the Christianity Forums....what is your take?
I have aphantasia, so I don't have visions (no mind's eye, ears, taste, touch or smell). But, my best guess is that visions are not really any different than me experiencing a deluge of thoughts all on the same subject. So, I'd say whatever we're "tuned into" is likely to attract thoughts of the same sort, and the longer we stay with them, the more momentum they have to attract more and so it can become quite intense. Those thoughts can be translated by us in any way our minds processes things, visual or otherwise.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,341,090 times
Why does everything have to go through science,logic and reason and those ancient masculine principles why can’t anything intuitive,spiritual exist.The visions or dreams I have are too meaningful to be the result of some sort of error like psychiatry etc says.You know the Anglo Saxons called the brain a spirit chest why are we not allowed to have this view of it but have to constantly omit the spiritual,supernatural and intuitive from our vocabulary in favour of a scientific or reasoned view.Just because it’s your brain producing it doesn’t omit it from being spiritual in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The human brain is capable of producing all kinds of bizarre experiences. And there are plenty of chemicals that can produce bizarre experiences in the human brain when ingested.

In a pre-scientific age, it is likely that many people interpreted these experiences as direct encounters with the supernatural. In pre-scientific regions of the United States, these experiences are still interpreted as direct encounters with the supernatural.

Last edited by Katiethegreat; 08-21-2018 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality