Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:47 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times

Advertisements

And what’s the first thing this dolt Noah did?

Sacrifice some animals to the monster that drowned babies and pregnant women.

Genesis 8:20-22 Good News Translation (GNT)

Noah Offers a Sacrifice
20 Noah built an altar to the Lord; he took one of each kind of ritually clean animal and bird, and burned them whole as a sacrifice on the altar. 21 The odor of the sacrifice pleased the Lord, and he said to himself, “Never again will I put the earth under a curse because of what people do;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I kinda don't know why we're talking about this with any sort of logic.
Apparently all cultures have some flood story:
"Variants of the flood myth occur all across the world amongst cultures with little or no contact
with one another at that time.
-From a Carl Jung article about archetypes and the collective unconscious.

So what, there was a big flood ...ok.. over a huge part of the 'known' populated world...ok....how many
people were even on earth...not many !? I'll tell ya !

A guy made a boat cuz he was somehow warned...Voice of God, dreams, intuition, angel, OR
he was simply psychic, maybe heard voices ...whatever. Gee whiz.
He took a bunch of animals with him...ok.
It's a story that has been made larger than life...again, point is, blaming this 'idea of God' as an angry, mass murderer ... again.
Boring...yawn...

This story makes us in the 21st c look like we are from some planet of dopes that believe in 'Audra' in Star Trek Next Generation, even Picard could figure that one out in less than a day!

Sorry, Richard, don't hate me.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-30-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 10:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

Noah Offers a Sacrifice
20 Noah built an altar to the Lord; he took one of each kind of ritually clean animal and bird, and burned them whole as a sacrifice on the altar. 21 The odor of the sacrifice pleased the Lord, and he said to himself, “Never again will I put the earth under a curse because of what people do;
And our society does the moral equivalent daily. Legally.

So why do you believe you have a right to judge God?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:49 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

Noah Offers a Sacrifice
Disgusting. Simply disgusting.

Or maybe, in reality, it was a BBQ.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:53 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Here is another interesting email that I found in my inbox this morning that I though I’d share:

>> If the story of Noah is not a parable, then down to what size of animal did he take on the ark? For example, there are 350,000 species of beetles.

He did not need to take insects on the ark. They can live on floating debris just fine. The Bible says that he took animals with the “breath of life in their nostrils.” That would be the birds and the land animals.

And he didn't need to take the biggest ones. He took babies…they sleep more, they're smaller, they eat less, are more resilient and they're not past their sexual prime which was important because they were brought along to keep the species alive. -

There's no reason that all the animals could not have fit in the ark if they were small. Even the largest land animals are small when they're young. And if you think about it most animals are very small. There's only a handful of what would be considered “large.” - https://www.quora.com/

The hoops and mental gymnastics you guys are willing to attempt to maintain the belief in stuff like this is incredible. That people still believe this shows how religion can warp a persons mind .

Old 08-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The hoops and mental gymnastics you guys are willing to attempt to maintain the belief in stuff like this is incredible. That people still believe this shows how religion can warp a persons mind .
I don't believe he does, actually. If I recall, he just thinks it was all made up to teach his people something.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Yes!

First they just want us to believe that the bible is an historical document.

When that doesn't work, they start MAKING UP STUFF to fix the bible.

It smacks of desperation.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I kinda don't know why we're talking about this with any sort of logic.
Apparently all cultures have some flood story:
"Variants of the flood myth occur all across the world amongst cultures with little or no contact
with one another at that time.
-From a Carl Jung article about archetypes and the collective unconscious.

So what, there was a big flood ...ok.. over a huge part of the 'known' populated world...ok....how many
people were even on earth...not many !? I'll tell ya !

A guy made a boat cuz he was somehow warned...Voice of God, dreams, intuition, angel, OR
he was simply psychic, maybe heard voices ...whatever. Gee whiz.
He took a bunch of animals with him...ok.
It's a story that has been made larger than life...again, point is, blaming this 'idea of God' as an angry, mass murderer ... again.
Boring...yawn...

This story makes us in the 21st c look like we are from some planet of dopes that believe in 'Audra' in Star Trek Next Generation, even Picard could figure that one out in less than a day!

Sorry, Richard, don't hate me.
Many early cultures had their flood stories. Early civilizations tended to form around the consistent ability to feed large populations that occurs with the growth of agriculture. The best places to farm are the fertile delta areas near large rivers for irrigation. Such areas are subject to periodic catastrophic flooding.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes!

First they just want us to believe that the bible is an historical document.

When that doesn't work, they start MAKING UP STUFF to fix the bible.

It smacks of desperation.
Like what? What was "made up to fix the Bible"?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Many early cultures had their flood stories. Early civilizations tended to form around the consistent ability to feed large populations that occurs with the growth of agriculture. The best places to farm are the fertile delta areas near large rivers for irrigation. Such areas are subject to periodic catastrophic flooding.
Almost as if those many cultures developed a story from a common story....err...wait....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality