Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:57 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm assuming you're just being flippant in your reference to the Vatican being miffed, but just in case you're even marginally serious, I should mention that the word "saint" in the Bible was used to describe any follower of Jesus Christ, and not some individual who performed a pre-determined number of miracles, thereby earning himself the title of "Saint Whatever."

"Mormon" started out as an extremely derisive term, back in the 1830s. It was used solely by those who despised us. We did not apply it to ourselves. We got that nickname, of course, because of our belief in "The Book of Mormon." I think that, over time, we just got used to it, then accepted it, and finally embraced it. Apparently, President Nelson feels that we have never have gotten to the point where we referred to ourselves by a term invented by the people who drove our ancestors out of their homes and out of the United States entirely.

I get it, but I do believe he's being unrealistic to expect us to all of a sudden do something that it was supposedly fine to do just over a month ago. When the Church encourages its members to submit their own personal stories and testimonies to a website called "I'm a Mormon!" and then turns around and says that whenever we use that term, it's a victory for Satan, it's genuinely frustrating to everyone concerned.

I do volunteer work at the Salt Lake City Visitors' Center. In other words, I give tourists maps, tell them how to find places they're interested in seeing, provide recommendations for good restaurants and tell them where they can buy a new charger for their iPhone. When someone comes in and says, "We'll be here for two days. What should we see?" I always recommend Temple Square. If they're from the U.S., that's all I need to say. If they're from some places in the world, I may need to explain what Temple Square is. If that's the case, I'll say, "Temple Square is where the headquarters of the LDS Church are located." I never say, "the Mormon Church." But in saying the "LDS Church," that's essentially the same as saying "The Church of the Latter-day Saints." That's inaccurate because we believe it to be "the Church of Jesus Christ." So last Saturday, when I found myself in the position of explaining what Temple Square was, I said, "Temple Square is where the headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are located." It was awkward and I felt kind of silly saying it.

My understanding of President Nelson's request is that he is asking that when the Church is mentioned in an interview or news article, the full, correct, official name of the Church be used when it is first identified, and that in subsequent mentions, the words, "the Church" would be acceptable.

Well, I don't suppose you interact with all that many of us or even have much occasion to discuss our Church outside of this forum. So as far as I'm concerned, LDS is fine. And I don't really even have an issue with being called a Mormon. It's always kind of bugged me to see the Church called "The Mormon Church" or even "The Church of the Latter-day Saints," but it's certainly not something I'm going to lie awake stressing out over.
Thanks for the background. If the idea is that articles and Books use Church of the latter -day Saints (I was being tongue -in -check comparing them with the Vatican's elevation of various catholic bods to celestial status) I can understand that. I imagine that he (they, you) feel about 'Mormon' the way we atheists feel about "Darwinist". Though in your case it is slightly derisive in tone, and for is 'Darwinist' is a polemic misdirection. Not, as you say, something to lose sleep over.

I can't help feeling that the full title is a bit of a mouthful for everyday speech, and LDS would be a reasonable compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can't help feeling that the full title is a bit of a mouthful for everyday speech, and LDS would be a reasonable compromise.
I find "LDS" to be a good compromise, when talking about the members of the Church. I'm actually a bit uncomfortable saying, "I'm a Latter-day Saint," but only because of the connotation the word "saint" has to most Christians. As I said before, the word "saint" was used to refer to a follower of Christ. It meant nothing more than that. I'll probably continue to say, "I'm LDS," but I won't call the church, "the LDS Church" because we're not "The Church of the Latter-day Saints." I don't even mind "Mormon," but I admit to being a little peeved when someone drops the second "m" from the word and thinks they're being clever and original.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:27 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
I find "LDS" to be a good compromise, when talking about the members of the Church. I'm actually a bit uncomfortable saying, "I'm a Latter-day Saint," but only because of the connotation the word "saint" has to most Christians. As I said before, the word "saint" was used to refer to a follower of Christ. It meant nothing more than that. I'll probably continue to say, "I'm LDS," but I won't call the church, "the LDS Church" because we're not "The Church of the Latter-day Saints." I don't even mind "Mormon," but I admit to being a little peeved when someone drops the second "m" from the word and thinks they're being clever and original.
I thought I was pretty aware of these type of things, but frankly, I have never heard of that until you drew attention to it now.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I thought I was pretty aware of these type of things, but frankly, I have never heard of that until you drew attention to it now.
Don't worry... That doesn't make you a "moron."

Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
We (as moderators) have had to deal with that a few times in forum posts.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure any of this could be considered "turmoil," but whatever...
I agree... I know you mention in a later post that "Mormon" started out as a derogatory term back in the 1830's used by people who despised the LDS, so on that ground alone, Church members would rightfully want to be referred to by a different term.

Personally, I think a "name" that is a full spoken word has a more inviting, down home, softer feel to it over an abbreviated moniker that is all letters (or worse, letters and numbers), but it's not for me to decide...

Quote:
As a strong LGBT ally (most people on City-Data probably know that), I do everything I can to promote fellowship with my LGBT friends and members of the Church
But if you were to go to lunch with an extremely liberal LGBT member who supported legalizing LSD, and you both ordered Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwiches, you would be...

"An LDS debating a LGBT over the legalization of LSD while eating your BLT's"....

This is why I prefer the full spoken word....

Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I agree... I know you mention in a later post that "Mormon" started out as a derogatory term back in the 1830's used by people who despised the LDS, so on that ground alone, Church members would rightfully want to be referred to by a different term.

Personally, I think a "name" that is a full spoken word has a more inviting, down home, softer feel to it over an abbreviated moniker that is all letters (or worse, letters and numbers), but it's not for me to decide...

But if you were to go to lunch with an extremely liberal LGBT member who supported legalizing LSD, and you both ordered Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwiches, you would be...

"An LDS debating a LGBT over the legalization of LSD while eating your BLT's"....

This is why I prefer the full spoken word....

Old 10-17-2018, 05:43 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
I thought for a long time it was rude to say 'Mormon' so I said LDS unless the person I was speaking to didn't know what that meant and then I'd say Mormon, and usually go into a thing about how Mormons don't really like to be called that, blah blah, and then the campaign came 'I'm a Mormon!' and I was like sigh. and then this. Double sigh. I will just use whatever term I feel like now, taking into account to whom I am speaking.

As an aside: the Mormons I know personally call themselves Mormon and always have, so it wasn't people I knew saying 'that is offensive' it was reading that the 'PC' term is LDS and I go along with most PC terms in general.

I'm not going along with 'Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' tho! That is a mouthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality