Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Yea but its not just Harry Diog that thinks that. Loads of people on these forums do. You got hounded out of the health & wellness pages because of the tripe that you expound. And pretty much closed down on philosophy. So now you've ended up here. But it seems the regulars here are on to you also.

Your confused thesis appears to be that the DNA mutations which permit natural selection to occur (even though most of those changes are either deleterious or neutral and so don't effect evolution, but I guess you are only interested in the positive effect mutations) don't occur by random but are driven by something. So really a mutable information system that elicits information flow when it is good must be driven by an intelligence. I guess when its bad or neutral mutation you don't feel such a simplistic urge to have a driver. And by simple probabilities one would expect a 2 out of 3 mutations to not be advantageous.

But cause really you love a teleological explanation, and you really need a big father figure looking after everything you gotta ascribe it to that. So God (or your stand in) drives evolution. Amazing. So basically the position of the catholic church and at least half the non-US based Christian denominations anyway.

I guess we'll see you in the Self Sufficiency forums next, they are less successful at spotting Dunning-Kruger issues and fraudulence there. Why not tell them about how you believe mediums are real or that epigenetics can lead to speciation that you previously argued in different threads. You've got too much luggage - 'bout time you changed your user name.
If you hate what I have to say so much, why do you read it? And why do you so carefully keep track of everything I post?

Maybe you're worried that so many others agree with me.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
You'll have to do better than that. The alternative to just letting you post whatever you like without being called on it is to post a critique of it. How's he going to do that without reading it? And I didn't know that you'd been peddling your beliefs (not original -theistic evolution has its' followers) all over the Forum.He does. So? So you prefer to get into finger-pointing rather than post a relevant response. You're not building a fan -base thus far, I'd make a heavy bet.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:06 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
So when you say the universe is made out of information, are you thinking of the movie The Matrix? Humans gather information in order to solve problems. That would be my definition of conscious. In that case, the universe would purposely gather information, look for relationships and use it to answer a question or solve a problem.

When humans answer a question or solve a problem, that knowledge is usually transferred to other people and generations. Now consider all of the misunderstandings, different conclusions and effects (or no effects) it has on individuals. Consider those people in the dark about the information.

If the universe was purely informational, if it is one entity, wouldn't all humans and animals have the same information downloaded into us?

Last edited by elyn02; 10-17-2018 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 10:50 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Darwin's contribution was that he collected evidence for it, and he developed a theory about what might have caused species to evolve. His theory was that members of a species are born slightly different from each other, and the ones that are best equipped to survive in the environment will reproduce more.
Ummmm. No. Organisms or 'members of a species' only evolve if they need to, if their environment requires them to adapt. Crocodiles for example and some insects have remained unchanged for millions of years - because they are superbly adapted to their environment and don't need to evolve.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:55 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Of course there is a question. Do you think the universe is a mindless mechanism, or is it alive and conscious?
If the universe has consciousness then humans are the equivalent of viruses.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:20 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If the universe has consciousness then humans are the equivalent of viruses.
To me the equivalent is parasitism. Humans don't exist in a symbiotic relationship with earth.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
You think I'm ignorant, but I think you are ignorant.
I back up (or can back up) my claims with evidence.

You do not.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
It's a not unfamiliar argument.

It's one step away from the genesis -literalism of the Creationists which fiddles science to fit their beliefs.

This is much more a Theistic evolution which accepts the science but says that God is doing it. We are familiar with this from Mystic. Again it fiddles the science to fit the belief. This idea of information as a property of space itself - nothing that does something - is simply Interpreted as a cosmic mind.

Not only is there no real evidence for this, the evidence is really against it. so we get the denial - the fingers in the ears. The repetition of faith -claims and, at best the airy -fairy "It must be true because it makes me feel so secure and happy" or at worth the finger -pointing.

And worse even than that the little Biblestudy groups, where they pass this feelgood faith-claim stuff around adding appropriate Bibleverses as though it proved something.

Bibleverses do not substantiate Faith and Faith does not substantiate Bibleverses. I can't stop people posting such garbage, see the Bornagain thread, but just sayin' it is simply grabbing stuff and fitting it to the faith.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Evidence? Garbage?
Sit for hours in meditaion...maybe, just maybe...you will exp for yourself a living, breathing Consciouness everywhere.
Until you do it's all speculation...which I call a waste of time, a clever diversion of the egoic mind...
from doing just that...taking the time to still yourself and feeeeel It....see It....sense It..
It's very real.
( not talking about some blind faith, but direct experience)

Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
To me the equivalent is parasitism. Humans don't exist in a symbiotic relationship with earth.
I think eventually she'll throw us off and let the cockroaches have it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality