Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:31 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
It is one thing to cherrypick a philosophy written by humans and quite another to cherrypick a book promoted as the word of a god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 03:34 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
It is one thing to cherrypick a philosophy written by humans and quite another to cherrypick a book promoted as the word of a god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Why is it different if you know it is NOT the “word of God”?
Beat me to it. What about those Christians who understand it was written by men and don't believe it to literally be the word of God?

That's why we say our church is based on Scripture, Tradition, and Reason. Reason allows one to "cherry-pick" the difference between "love your neighbors" and stoning the people you don't like or agree with. Reason allows one to find metaphors and meaning in stories even when one believes that what's told in those stories cannot possibly have happened.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:20 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Beat me to it. What about those Christians who understand it was written by men and don't believe it to literally be the word of God?

That's why we say our church is based on Scripture, Tradition, and Reason. Reason allows one to "cherry-pick" the difference between "love your neighbors" and stoning the people you don't like or agree with. Reason allows one to find metaphors and meaning in stories even when one believes that what's told in those stories cannot possibly have happened.
And former Christians.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:35 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Amen. Not to mention, it’s impossible to do otherwise. Some people just don’t realize they’re doing it.
I agree. The latter is an issue.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:37 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
It depends on your position.

I take wisdom where I can find. There's some in the bible...but that has nothing to do with any magical power. There's some in the Tipitaka. Wisdom is in a variety of places.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
And former Christians.
Oops, didn't mean to leave anyone out!

Old 10-22-2018, 05:51 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
It is different because it contains information about the Word of God (Logos - which means the essence or true nature of God) as embodied in a very special human - the Christ. It provides details of His character and the principles that guide His life and chronicles the impact of His life and death on our human understanding of God over centuries.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-22-2018 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 06:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Largely because picking manmade philosophies does not suggest supernatural knowledge or existence. On the other hand, claiming a book is revelation of a god only in parts your agree with is nonsensical support for a mythical being and supernatural awareness. Sadly, you are guilty of the same.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It depends on your position.

I take wisdom where I can find. There's some in the bible...but that has nothing to do with any magical power. There's some in the Tipitaka. Wisdom is in a variety of places.
Which I have no problem with. My problem is with those who claim the supernatural/divinity, while excusing detrimental evidence to the contrary. Christianity is wildly guilty of this. I would have more respect for those who worship Jesus philosophically and not claim his divinity.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I have no problem with this. Again, my beef is with those who claim the bible is divinely inspired as evidence of a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality