Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 02:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Excellent post. Well written and on target.
Unfortunately I no longer think that he is after answers, just the opportunity to take shots at those he believes are enemies. I respond more for others who may come later than for Jeff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:12 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Jeff, Monumentus spent some time and effort explaining to you several things including reasons for an increase in suicide rstes. But you are not the least bit interested in the reasons, you simply want to blame atheists for something or for anything. That you are unwilling to read the reasons provided by not only posters, but the actual article you personally linked tells me that you are not interested in a discussion, just reasons to attack us. If telling you to read a few posts without a preconceived view of what the poster might be telling you as garbage it shows that you truly care neither for a discussion nor for evidence.
Correct, Monumentus, in a typical condescending fashion, merely attempted to muddy the waters. You can throw doubt on any claim in this same fashion. What is more revealing is I took a similar example of atheists claiming that a study proves prayer fails and it is accepted without question! Yet I could easily rattle off variables and reasons why such a study is not telling the whole story here.

You should know by know that nothing aggravates me more than posters turning the conversation into a character attack and it was done here again in just the second post. Why should I even bother to give credibility to such posts when your side can't even have a respectful conversation? I'm the one posting links and evidence. If you are going to reject it then it has nothing to do with me personally. You are rejecting the people who made the studies and came up with the conclusions.

Quote:

It is way past the time you stopped hiding behind your religion. It is Jeff, not Christians, that makes these absurd posts, attacks atheists, thinks ever atheists is responsible for what another one ssid, and cannot conduct a civil discussion. It is Jeff and his posts that we debate and argue against. Some of the people you claim hate God and Christians are in fact Christians themselves. If you are going to make claims, assertions or insults, be brave enough to own up to them and be willing to defend your points rather than hide behind some false claim that we are mocking Christians. We do mock certain claims made by certain Christians.
How ironic that you continue to make it about Jeff, not the topic at hand. Because when faced with the truth, that's the only hand you can play. Atheists just can't seem to admit they are wrong in this discussions. I've been called everything here from being a pedophile, a sociopath, and being gay or that I need mental therapy because I believe the demonic realm is very real. You see, when people on your side constantly show me that they are just willing to make up gross and offensive lies about me, why on earth would I EVER listen to your opinion? Therefore, I need facts. Not claims, not baseless assertations, not assumptions. Show me factual evidence that explains beyond any doubt the true root cause of the suicide rate going up. Can you do that? Unless you can do this then you can not state that there is no way atheism has any effect on the suicide rate.

Quote:

Atheists have explained to you over and over and over again what gives our lives value, hope and meaning. That you will never accept it that we can have any value without your belief set is on you not us and yes it is sad that you cannot see that.
That's because atheists don't truly accept atheism as its ugly core. You don't accept that love is nothing more than a chemical reaction.

Quote:

If you truly loved everyone you would not have been the least upset on what I posted, but you don't have any love for us. You must think that atheists, gays and perhaps liberals and liberal Christians are you sworn enemies who must be attacked on all times. We respond to Jeff and what he says not your God or Christianity.
Sorry but I don't treat an internet forum as real life. If you do, maybe you need to unplug and get in the real world for awhile. You are just nicknames to me. A Rafius is indistinguishable from a Troutdude or a Monumentus, and my opinion is nothing more than just one out of thousands. If you don't like it, move on. But resorting to just making up bold lies to assault my character does aggravate me because I have low tolerance for blatant dishonesty.

Quote:

If you think reading Monumentus post, go back to the OP and read the article you linked. You will find reasons for increased suicide rates, none of them is atheism.
Reasons backed up with zero evidence.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:43 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
An alarming trend was revealed yesterday. Despite medical advances and lower deaths by heart disease and cancer, the US life expectancy dropped after years and years of going up. Suicide is a big part of the problem, and the suicide rate has now hit a 50 year high.

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/us-s...xpectancy.html

This is the world atheism and secularism as created. More division, more hopeless, more conflict, less tolerance and less empathy. People have bought into the lie that there is no God, and no purpose to live. We are merely souless flesh and bone here to consume resources then die and rot. The vast majority of us will be completely forgotten from the next generations that get their turn at living.

And the research has shown a direct link between atheism and suicide.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi...jp.161.12.2303

That's the bed you made, so now you can get to lie in it. It is just sad that atheists dedicate so much time out of the few short decades we get in life into tearing down an institution that gives hope and healing to the masses.
Let's suppose atheists do kill themselves at a higher rate than Christians. Why is that a problem for you? Why the rage against those who don't believe what you believe and therefore feel free to kill themselves, if they choose?

Old 12-03-2018, 04:08 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Correct, Monumentus, in a typical condescending fashion, merely attempted to muddy the waters. You can throw doubt on any claim in this same fashion. What is more revealing is I took a similar example of atheists claiming that a study proves prayer fails and it is accepted without question! Yet I could easily rattle off variables and reasons why such a study is not telling the whole story here.

You should know by know that nothing aggravates me more than posters turning the conversation into a character attack and it was done here again in just the second post. Why should I even bother to give credibility to such posts when your side can't even have a respectful conversation? I'm the one posting links and evidence. If you are going to reject it then it has nothing to do with me personally. You are rejecting the people who made the studies and came up with the conclusions.

How ironic that you continue to make it about Jeff, not the topic at hand. Because when faced with the truth, that's the only hand you can play. Atheists just can't seem to admit they are wrong in this discussions. I've been called everything here from being a pedophile, a sociopath, and being gay or that I need mental therapy because I believe the demonic realm is very real. You see, when people on your side constantly show me that they are just willing to make up gross and offensive lies about me, why on earth would I EVER listen to your opinion? Therefore, I need facts. Not claims, not baseless assertations, not assumptions. Show me factual evidence that explains beyond any doubt the true root cause of the suicide rate going up. Can you do that? Unless you can do this then you can not state that there is no way atheism has any effect on the suicide rate.

That's because atheists don't truly accept atheism as its ugly core. You don't accept that love is nothing more than a chemical reaction.

Sorry but I don't treat an internet forum as real life. If you do, maybe you need to unplug and get in the real world for awhile. You are just nicknames to me. A Rafius is indistinguishable from a Troutdude or a Monumentus, and my opinion is nothing more than just one out of thousands. If you don't like it, move on. But resorting to just making up bold lies to assault my character does aggravate me because I have low tolerance for blatant dishonesty.

And yet you are the one who repeated a claim that the study linked atheism to increased suicides rates and it didn't. If you can't even be honest at the basic level, never mind making claims about atheism that you just pull out of your ass, why should anyone take your views seriously?

And, not that it's anything relevant, but just carping, your view of internet bods is terribly shallow. You get more of the personality of people online than you do bumping into them in the street. And love is a 'chemical reaction'. Mystifying it is a very common human misperception, like 'solidity'. Popularity doesn't make it true.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-03-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Correct, Monumentus, in a typical condescending fashion, merely attempted to muddy the waters. You can throw doubt on any claim in this same fashion. What is more revealing is I took a similar example of atheists claiming that a study proves prayer fails and it is accepted without question! ...

Your comment about prayer failing. Did it ever occur to you that many, probably most, atheists were once christians? Did it ever occur to you that most of us have personally experienced total failure in prayer? Did it ever occur to you most of us have seen prayer repeatedly fail in others. Did it ever occur to you that many prayers that seem to be "answered" would probably have happened anyway?

"nothing aggravates me (you) more than posters turning the conversation into a character attack"????? You do it all the time. You're doing it right in this post.

Yes Jeff...it often does turn out to be about you...because of the consistency of your insulting posts. You are the one making those insults. So it becomes about you. Because, as YOUR book says in more than one place -- "A man reaps what he sows".

No Jeff, you are one of those people who cannot see a difference between your faith and facts. They are not the same thing. Both can be admirable, but they are not the same.

An internet forum IS a small part of real life. The people who post here are real people. Their opinions are real opinions. But if you don't think it's part of real life...why are you here wasting our time?

Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Got it, all atheists are the same to you rather than as online individuals. Funny how you link something to explain what you believe and then retort to that same article as having zero evidence. I have never called you any of those labels. I am willing to stand by what I have posted. That you are not is sad

I have yet to make up a lie, either bold or otherwise, to assult your character. Maybe you are right, time once again to ignore your dishonesty and indifference. Many have already given u0 on you. If all you want is the place to post unchallenged but incorrect assertions.

No one has ever claimed that love is just a chemical reactiin. Once again you lie about what atheists think, know or feel.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:24 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Got it, all atheists are the same to you rather than as online individuals. Funny how you link something to explain what you believe and then retort to that same article as having zero evidence. I have never called you any of those labels. I am willing to stand by what I have posted. That you are not is sad

I have yet to make up a lie, either bold or otherwise, to assult your character. Maybe you are right, time once again to ignore your dishonesty and indifference. Many have already given u0 on you. If all you want is the place to post unchallenged but incorrect assertions.

No one has ever claimed that love is just a chemical reactiin. Once again you lie about what atheists think, know or feel.
Love Isn't a chemical reaction? How dare you contradict me. Pistols at dawn!

Old 12-03-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Love Isn't a chemical reaction? How dare you contradict me. Pistols at dawn!
Love isn't JUST a chemical reaction. I am retired. Pistols after the second cup of tea mid to late morning. Don't have a pistol but if it warms up a little will have snowballs.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
err, I actually say it is. actually a series of chemical reactions that are used to execute a program.

as soon as I laid eyes on my first, before I even cut the cord. wow, i thought, I love this thing more than anything in the world. More than anything I have ever experienced before. I was stunned. That's when i understood the biosphere inserting a subroutine that would cause me to expend far more resources than is, otherwise, logically explained.

then, after a few minutes when I collected myself I realized that birth isn't a miracle, its a retrofitted, low budget, engineering nightmare. i was gonna call the pope. he may have rested on the 7th day but he awoke on the 8th day and said "Oh my me, they have to breed!!!". marcupiles were created early, monday afternoon.

But that's a thread for anther day.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:27 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Default Link between Religion and Suicide

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482518/
Quote:
That religion was shown to be a protective factor against suicide among the studies with older populations but not so with the younger population was somewhat puzzling. To our knowledge, no studies have been designed to intentionally determine if religion has a different impact on older versus younger populations regarding suicide.
Ok Jeff, here is a direct answer to your OP. Study analysis have shown that religion does indeed have a protective influence against suicide but only among the older population. Not so with the younger population. How these results were determined you can determine for yourself in the link above.

Something to consider that since the greatest part of the population is religious and the suicide rate is so high (being the greatest single cause of death) - someone other than atheists must be doing the suicides. In fact, studies show Protestants were three times more likely to commit suicide than Catholics (in Prussia).
Quote:
RESULTS: Suicide rates among Protestants in Prussia two centuries ago were roughly three times as high as among Catholics. This trend appears to hold true today, as countries that are majority Protestant tend to have substantially higher suicide rates than those that are majority Catholic.

CONCLUSION: Suicide rates are much higher in Protestant areas than in Catholic areas.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...holics/254547/

Then again
Quote:
The relationship between religious affiliation and suicide established by Durkheim may not pertain in societies where suicide rates are highest at younger ages. Risks are similar for those with and without a religious affiliation, and Catholics (who traditionally are characterised by higher levels of church attendance) do not demonstrate lower risk of suicide.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25698765

Or how about this one
Quote:
... devout people who experience religious strain—for instance, because they’re convinced that they’ve committed a sin too major to be forgiven—are actually more likely than their nonreligious peers to take their own lives.
Consider this statistic

USA Religiosity - 66 % Suicide rate - 11.05
UK Religiosity - 33 % Suicide rate - 7.05
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality