Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Again "imagine" is the operative word here because once again all you are doing is coming up yourself with how you want atheists to behave, think and feel rather than actually listening to them tell you how they behave, think and feel.
Wonder how long it will be before Jeffbase puts you on his ignore list for 'persecuting' him, as he has done to so many of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 09:56 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Spontaneous remission.

That's the phrase that doctors use when someone is "miraculously" healed of a life-threatening disease process. Physical healings through prayer are not uncommon, but they don't get much press, especially in circles that atheists frequent.

Recently, I read Dodie Osteen's book ("Healed of Cancer") and it's a remarkable account of her complete and permanent healing of Stage IV cancer. After being hospitalized for weeks, she was sent home to die in 1981, and spent six weeks focusing on nothing but the Bible's promises of healing and restoration.

The multiple tumors throughout Dodie's body dissolved, the cancer disappeared and she is now 85 years old and in excellent health.

That's one account and there are many, but Dodie's is well-documented.

As a tiny infant, I was hospitalized and after all medical hope was exhausted, my mother was shoved out of the hospital room, as I was in the "active dying phase" (multiple organ failure). She went home and summoned a church friend to pray with her through a very long night. I was restored to life through prayer.

Yes, these are anecdotes, but if spiritual healing is based on spiritual laws (which supersede human understanding), then a single healing demonstrated by spiritual laws means that it's something that is accessible to all.

Atheists probably don't hear a lot of those stories. That's the beauty part of being a "believer." We have hope, and that is a beautiful thing.

Y'all should get out more. Visit a church from time to time. You might hear some of these powerful stories. It sure beats thinking that everything is so hopeless and grim!
Prayer does make people healthy sometimes but listen, this was going on well before Jesus came, but we don't see anyone with the power of Pentecost anywhere today.

If there was only one person with that same power, there wouldn't be any Atheists, those miracles are what brought people in.

Nobody has that power, it wasn't hit or miss, they were given everything they asked, but the most bizarre fact of these millions of Christians claiming a Holy spirit is that it is only given to those people who keep Shavuot, and Christians are claiming a gift from a Holy day they reject just like their bold false claim they are under a covenant they are not in, or their preaching of Jesus when they reject the Passover altogether.

It doesn't work that way, that power was given to converts of Judaism and then Christians left Judaism, they reject the very days that give the gifts while claiming to have a power from a day they teach against.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:

Atheists probably don't hear a lot of those stories. That's the beauty part of being a "believer." We have hope, and that is a beautiful thing.

Y'all should get out more. Visit a church from time to time. You might hear some of these powerful stories. It sure beats thinking that everything is so hopeless and grim!
One again a christian who lives in an echo chamber who is so unaware of life around her. Many (if not most) American atheists grew up in chrstian families, and many were christians for some significant part of their adult life (for example, myself, a christian of one variety or another for the first 68 years of my life). But whether in the methodist or catholic church, I didn't hear those stories in church. Instead I heard in boring repetition fables that could not be verified.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:56 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Wonder how long it will be before Jeffbase puts you on his ignore list for 'persecuting' him, as he has done to so many of us.
Ah, those are the lucky ones.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Spontaneous remission.

That's the phrase that doctors use when someone is "miraculously" healed of a life-threatening disease process. Physical healings through prayer are not uncommon, but they don't get much press, especially in circles that atheists frequent.

Recently, I read Dodie Osteen's book ("Healed of Cancer") and it's a remarkable account of her complete and permanent healing of Stage IV cancer. After being hospitalized for weeks, she was sent home to die in 1981, and spent six weeks focusing on nothing but the Bible's promises of healing and restoration.

The multiple tumors throughout Dodie's body dissolved, the cancer disappeared and she is now 85 years old and in excellent health.

That's one account and there are many, but Dodie's is well-documented.

As a tiny infant, I was hospitalized and after all medical hope was exhausted, my mother was shoved out of the hospital room, as I was in the "active dying phase" (multiple organ failure). She went home and summoned a church friend to pray with her through a very long night. I was restored to life through prayer.

Yes, these are anecdotes, but if spiritual healing is based on spiritual laws (which supersede human understanding), then a single healing demonstrated by spiritual laws means that it's something that is accessible to all.

I am totally fine with hope. we all hope we are right.

let me start off by saying some atheist are about "content" and others are "atheist perspective" driven. i could care less about "perspective", that like saying my personal needs get to decide how the universe works. It doesn't.

but a super being being forced on us is quite different than hoping that the universe has feelings for you. I can, using the standard model, empirically show that portions of the universe do indeed care about you.

I can't in, in all honesty, say a thing reaches out and grabs us. There would be a disturbance in the fields around us so that we could measure it, if there was one that is.

Its akin to saying a car drove into my house. There is no evidence that shows one did. so the evidence, my house unchanged, is proof one didn't. The same for this god thing. there is no change in the forces (f=ma) so that is proof it didn't happen.

you hoping that the universe has emotion is quite a different claim.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post

I would say my world view and that of all the atheists I know is the exact opposite of everything being hopeless and grim. I fear you have maybe been more emotionally compromised by the original anecdote you started in the thread with than perhaps you yourself realise and are extrapolating one single character into a generalised assumption with no basis.
I fear that religion most often only offers up a placebo cure for what ailments it has only merely conjured up from the nethers. In the worst cases, it offers up untested or untestable remedies for that which it has poisoned a believer with.

That might be why the religious assume that people can't be happy and wonderful without their false religions.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Jeff seems to bring up suicide in the past.

No God More Suicide - US Suicide Rate Increases 24%

Way to go Atheists
So according to that O.P. by Jeffbase, suicide rates were decreasing under Clinton 42 and increased drastically under George W. Bush 43. And apparently, they were also rising under George H. W. Bush 42 by implication that 1992-1999 were the best years for suicide prevention.

That gets the conspiratorial/theorist plebeian mind going, doesn't it? Well, unless such a fact stands against your biases; then you'd have to wave it away.

Although judging by Chruch Attendance, Bill Clinton was the most religious President we've had in the past century, no? It figures he would get caught in a compromising sexual position.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:03 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I fear that religion most often only offers up a placebo cure for what ailments it has only merely conjured up from the nethers. In the worst cases, it offers up untested or untestable remedies for that which it has poisoned a believer with.

That might be why the religious assume that people can't be happy and wonderful without their false religions.
The placebo effect shouldn't even be a reality if atheism is true. I shouldn't be able to cause physical healing by having faith or willing something positive to happen.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:09 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
An alarming trend was revealed yesterday. Despite medical advances and lower deaths by heart disease and cancer, the US life expectancy dropped after years and years of going up. Suicide is a big part of the problem, and the suicide rate has now hit a 50 year high.

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/us-s...xpectancy.html

This is the world atheism and secularism as created. More division, more hopeless, more conflict, less tolerance and less empathy. People have bought into the lie that there is no God, and no purpose to live. We are merely souless flesh and bone here to consume resources then die and rot. The vast majority of us will be completely forgotten from the next generations that get their turn at living.

And the research has shown a direct link between atheism and suicide.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi...jp.161.12.2303

That's the bed you made, so now you can get to lie in it. It is just sad that atheists dedicate so much time out of the few short decades we get in life into tearing down an institution that gives hope and healing to the masses.
What, you think the more bodies that stay alive longer despite mental and/or physical agony is a good thing? get over yourself with your higher than thou opinions. People can do whatever the hell they want with their lives, and that includes ending them.
It's NONE OF YOUR GD BUSINESS who commits suicide or why.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The placebo effect shouldn't even be a reality if atheism is true. I shouldn't be able to cause physical healing by having faith or willing something positive to happen.
Why would a god be necessary for one’s mental and emotional health to impact their physical health? Is I’ll health as a result of stress also proof of a god? If a placebo can help you be positive and optimistic, to relax and allow your body to do what it does, that doesn’t imply that there is anything supernatural or magical going on.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality