Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 04:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know all that much about non-Christian religions, but with respect to Christianity, there are dozens upon dozens of doctrines that each of the thousands of denominations disagree upon. For instance...

1. How is a person "saved"? Is it by grace alone, works alone, or a combination of these?
2. Once "saved," can a person lose his salvation? Yes or no?
3. Is baptism essential? If yes, when should it be performed -- when a person is an infant or when he's old enough to chose for himself? How should it be performed -- by immersion or sprinking, or does it even matter? Who may perform a baptism -- any other Christian or someone holding specific authority?
4. Is the Bible inerrant or not? Is the Bible a complete record of God's dealings with mankind? Is it the only record of God's dealing's with mankind?
5. Are the elements of the Eucharist (i.e. the Lord's Supper) actually transformed into the blood and body of Christ before they are presented to believers, or are they rather symbolic?
6. Are all or even any of the Christian "sacraments" essential to salvation?
7. Does apostolic authority matter or do all believers hold the priesthood?
8. Does the Gift of Tongues still exist? If so, is it a qualifying characteristic of a Christian?
9. Is God a Trinity, a single indivisible substance made up of three persons or are the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost three distinct individuals who are "one" in some way other than physical?
10. Is there still a chance for redemption after death? If not, what happens to the bilions who have lived and died without ever having heard of Jesus Christ? Are they destined to become God's eternal firewood?

So, when I say,"100% true," I am referring to the religion (or Christian denomination) that is accurate in its teachings of every single Christian doctrine. I'd say that there are proably right and wrong answers to each of the questions I listed, but then that raises another question: Does it even matter? I think it does, but only to a certain extent. I think God wants us to believe correctly, but I don't believe that He's going to condemn everyone who doesn't to an eternity of torment.
I get ya.

the lense to focus the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's a legitimate concern, but it still doesn't make sense to me why anyone would affiliated with a religion that, in essence, says, "Maybe what we're teaching is true and maybe it isn't. At any rate, it doesn't matter." It is entirely possible that no religion (and no Christian individual denomination) is 100% true, but it is mathematically impossible for more than one to be, since no two are teaching exactly the same thing. To me, one very significant function of any religion is to make people better than they'd be without it. As a theist and a Christian, I personally believe that, when we stand before God to be judged, He's going to put a lot more emphasis on how we behaved than on what we believed. I don't see there being an entrance exam to be accepted into Heaven where one has to score about 90% (or any other arbitrary percentage) in order to be granted admitttance. I think our integrity in living our lives in accordance to what we sincerely believed is going to be a very important factor. If it turns out I'm wrong, I guess I'll have to deal with that when the time comes.
Well, that's where the religious and irreligious theist part company. The religious theist believes their religion is true and I will astonish everyone here and suggest that the evidence does not support the claim that any one religion is the true one.

The irreligious theist believes in a god but one that doesn't mind (not to say doesn't care) which religion you use and you can opt for the one you are used to or the one you prefer. But they will not claim that theirs is thr true one.

This is of course a reason why they are on the same page as atheists who don't believe any of them is the true one either, but they seem not to be on the same page as us as they have more in common with fellow theists than with fellow irreligionists.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
I find the concept of a "truest" religion absolutely absurd. All the ones I'm aware of - to varying degrees - have elements of silliness.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:10 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I find the concept of a "truest" religion absolutely absurd. All the ones I'm aware of - to varying degrees - have elements of silliness.
WHY would anybody have the gumption to ask (OP)such question? Someone's religion is personal and should never be"Politicized"!!

Those extreme Christian Ideation folks who DEMAND ALL other's BELIEVE as they believe are acting Politically!!!!!! ...

BTW~~ There is a Reason the "Original Constitution" pronounced "Separation of CHURCH and STATE"

What ever Religious affiliation one has, for them may or may not have SAME doctrines ..BUT ALL Religious faiths have ONE common "Deity" and that a "SUPREME BEING" SO God of Christian's, is the Same as Islam, Buddhism, Judaism etc!

Those who are sceptical of "Supreme Deity" existence.. Many are actually super people /c principle, but do not want to avail or condone "Bible Thumping" .. I tend to coin these types as "Spiritual" folks .

The Hateful ones CONDEMNING anyone who has any faith are Marginal/Political activists and want to diminish everybody who's a "Faith" in something Greater than Ourselves! That's their problem ..NOT mine

Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So why do you think that? How do you how the Psalmists lived? How have you come to a deep understanding about how those people who lived in the Middle East were living and thinking a couple of thousand years ago? Who were they...exactly?
The simple fact that people still read the Psalms and relate to them.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
lmao, yeah, some clubs make ya wear those funny hats too.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, yeah, some clubs make ya wear those funny hats too.
It's funny to outsiders. But I would never laugh at any religious person. For some people it's one of the only positive things in their lives.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's funny to outsiders. But I would never laugh at any religious person. For some people it's one of the only positive things in their lives.
lmao, yeah, you have a point there.

can i laugh on the inside?

Old 12-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, yeah, you have a point there.

can i laugh on the inside?
It's inevitable anyway.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:57 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The simple fact that people still read the Psalms and relate to them.
That doesn't answer the question I asked at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality