Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 02:01 PM
nng nng started this thread

695 posts, read 289,181 times

Advertisements

I am a live and let live person generally, and I think people should be able to do what they want to do and believe what they want to believe as long as they are not harming others or infringing on other people's rights. But I do have to wonder sometimes. There was outrage on city data because china was persecuting Christians and Christianity. Now I don't support the death or torture of anyone because of their religion or belief. But think about this. If there had been a communist atheistic government during the time of "prophet" Mohammad that had stopped the spread of Islam, the Arab women in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran wouldn't be oppressed or marginalized today, homosexuals wouldn't be thrown off rooftops, rape victims wouldn't have been stoned to death etc. if an atheistic communist government had been in place in Europe during the Middle Ages most likely there would have been no inquisition the killing of heretics by Christians etc. I would like your opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 05:01 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I am a live and let live person generally, and I think people should be able to do what they want to do and believe what they want to believe as long as they are not harming others or infringing on other people's rights. But I do have to wonder sometimes. There was outrage on city data because china was persecuting Christians and Christianity. Now I don't support the death or torture of anyone because of their religion or belief. But think about this. If there had been a communist atheistic government during the time of "prophet" Mohammad that had stopped the spread of Islam, the Arab women in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran wouldn't be oppressed or marginalized today, homosexuals wouldn't be thrown off rooftops, rape victims wouldn't have been stoned to death etc. if an atheistic communist government had been in place in Europe during the Middle Ages most likely there would have been no inquisition the killing of heretics by Christians etc. I would like your opinions. Thanks.
What a load of tosh is this post?

Do you want to see some women oppression, and various other human right violation (which are very brutal and heart wrenching beyond your imagination) statistics in your role model “China” and its “Atheistic/Communistic” rule of govt?
Do you really want to know some statistics and watch a few video clips?

Burying new borm baby girls alive was a common practice in Arab BEFOERE Islam. Do a little research to enlighten yourself. Find out how this was stopped by Islam, and the rights given to Arab women BY Islam and compare it to how Arab women were treated BEFORE Islam. Again, do some research and enlighten yourself.

Then, look at the various positive contributions given by the Christian world to help the humanity.
Philanthropy, food pantries, homelsss shelters, animal shelters, volunteering in disastor locations, Charity, free medical camps, and various other kinds of free services etc.

If you were frustrated by Mormons then it doesn’t automatically mean that all religions in the world are here destroy you.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Default You cannot buy the truth with Free Soup

It is easy for any religious or social movement to point to how it improved this or that previous injustice. Christianity ended slavery, communism ended inequality (so it claimed) and Rome ended human sacrifice (except in the Arena). And we are very familiar with Christian buying of credit with social work, which doesn't always turn out to be as brilliant as they like to make it look. The Missionary work after the tsunami and in Haiti looked more exploitative than helpful in the end, and the bums on seats puting up with prayers and preaching in exchange for a sandwich or two does not much impress me. Anbd don't talk to me about Mother Theresa.

The bottom line is for me that no amount of free rice can excuse the society -wide peddling of a Big Lie. No; we should not be fooled into swallowing this peddling of religious tosh with charitable work.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Islamic theocracy= oppression of woman, no political freedom (ie Saudi Arabia) killing of homosexuals etc women needs mans permission to recieve education and healthcare (ie Saudi Arabia), old men marrying young prepubescent girls

Atheistic communism= No political freedom, woman can work and have a career, be in the military etc.

If only a Chinese style government would have been there during "prophet" Mohammad's time to stop the spread of Islam , Arab women would have been much better off. Religion is downright dangerous. Thank you atheists for fighting against superstition, ignorance, irrationality hatred and bigotry.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:17 PM

334 posts, read 227,015 times
I would say they not only the right, but a duty to oppose it.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:30 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is easy for any religious or social movement to point to how it improved this or that previous injustice. Christianity ended slavery, communism ended inequality (so it claimed) and Rome ended human sacrifice (except in the Arena). And we are very familiar with Christian buying of credit with social work, which doesn't always turn out to be as brilliant as they like to make it look. The Missionary work after the tsunami and in Haiti looked more exploitative than helpful in the end, and the bums on seats puting up with prayers and preaching in exchange for a sandwich or two does not much impress me. Anbd don't talk to me about Mother Theresa.

The bottom line is for me that no amount of free rice can excuse the society -wide peddling of a Big Lie. No; we should not be fooled into swallowing this peddling of religious tosh with charitable work.
Hear! Hear! Well stated old horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoplasmic View Post
I would say they not only the right, but a duty to oppose it.
Bravo! I agree.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

So all Atheists should move to China and live happily ever after, or should we invite Chinese style (Atheistic/communist) rule of law imposed upon us so that Atheists and ex-Mormons could take solace?

Old 02-05-2019, 01:49 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So all Atheists should move to China and live happily ever after, or should we invite Chinese style (Atheistic/communist) rule of law imposed upon us so that Atheists and ex-Mormons could take solace?
Alas, China has its' own problems, and I should love to talk online to Chinese (as I did to the many Chinese tourists who I ran into in Angkor, looking over their old Empire) and talk about what could be done better. But I can do something here, interfere and stick my Limey nose into US affairs and do what I can to roll max the toxic mix of Right -wing tiny -mindedness as Fundymentalist religion that could sink the US into Christian Sharya law. Which I'm sure you'd enjoy, rather than try to pick an Islamic country you can stand.

Malaysia would probably do.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I just want to point out that I don't support a Chinese style government in the USA that suppresses religion; all I am saying is people would be much better off today if for example the spread of Islam was resisted and not allowed. There is nothing inherently good in religion. Non religious people can just as easily build schools and hospitals like the pious religious people can.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 PM

11,069 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
I don't support a Chinese style government in the USA that suppresses religion
Their government can suppress the worldly, outward stuff (religion), but they can't suppress what really matters - inward personal worship and connection (spirituality).

I wouldn't mind suppression of many churches here, the way they carry on. It'd be a helpful suppression, stamping out cancerous mutations of God's word.

The Chinese will get along fine. They've been around a long time; way longer than us. Their governments and leaders come and go, and the people remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality