Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:10 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Which is OK but should the kids be lied to that it’s a word of God?

I wish we focused on how to form a belief based on observation instead of how we feel about religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Christianity's greatest strength is that 99% of its members never crack the Bible. There is a very good reason why the Roman Catholic Church during the Middle Ages made it a crime punishable by death to possess a copy of the Bible. They were terrified that people reading the Bible would see that there was no mention of hell and everlasting punishment in it and that word would get around, taking away the church's teeth of eternal damnation, and so they executed several outstanding theologians as far away as Czechoslovakia for possessing a translation of it. Nowadays, Christianity's greatest strength is that people are too lazy to read such a monstrous volume. But Christianity's greatest weakness is that the Bible is responsible for turning more people to atheism than the 50 most famous atheists today. Atheists like Penn Gillette of Penn and Teller fame gleefully exclaims, "Don't believe a word I say. Just read the Bible. That's all I ask you to do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rGev6OZ3w

Old 03-22-2019, 06:47 PM

right on the money.

But I would read chemistry, physics, and some math. I mean, dude died, rose, for our sins? no need to waste any more time.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
right on the money.

But I would read chemistry, physics, and some math. I mean, dude died, rose, for our sins? no need to waste any more time.

Unfortunately, Arach, the vast majority of Christians are not that clear-thinking--if they're thinking at all.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:45 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Have you all noticed that you actually do post like as if Jesus, as Biblical figure, really existed?
It IS a possibility (even though I doubt it).

Old 03-23-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Have you all noticed that you actually do post like as if Jesus, as Biblical figure, really existed?
lmao.

YES !!!!!

literally real against literally false. just like arguing over sponge bob. It is a real cartoon ... now what?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:02 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
The need for anyone to frequently inject references about their azz into conversations has to be what Freud would consider a person who's expressing anal-fixation.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Unfortunately, Arach, the vast majority of Christians are not that clear-thinking--if they're thinking at all.
i don't base any of my claims on a statement of belief about god so I would change the wording, well, because I am atheist.

the vast majority are just living their lives. I would say the vast majority of people do not know how to properly form a belief. Also, we can't ignore personality types, addiction, abuse, and mental illness.

Its real simple. claims that have explanations, mechanisms, predictions, and repeat are more valid than those that don't. The biblegod just doesn't have them. People may give an 'explanation", but often that is based on an axiom that isn't the most valid claim.

as you know, I apply the same rigor to my group's claims also. I run every claim through the scientific method. "anti-religion/god" just doesn't cut the mustard either.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The need for anyone to frequently inject references about their azz into conversations has to be what Freud would consider a person who's expressing anal-fixation.
so true.

but after we are laughing and/or shaking our head in disgust, lets list what they said and compare what they said to what we know?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
so true.

but after we are laughing and/or shaking our head in disgust, lets list what they said and compare what they said to what we know?
We know that we are aging and that we are probably going to die one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality