Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times

Advertisements

I have been contributing to 2 different charities for 10 years now. One is to a hospital and about $35 a month. Other one is I am sponsoring a little girl in rural India at $60 a month; I have been her sponsor for 10 + years. now my financial situation has changed and I no longer feel comfortable giving $100 every month.

I am having a hard time deciding whether or not I should stop. If I decide to continue, that $100 would come out in the form of my morning coffee at work or my monthly once lunch with my co-workers. I feel so torn. Hospital contribution can be stopped any time....I am just worried about the little girls contribution. Any thoughts? I feel awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 08:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
I have none.

they take 20 - 25% of my earnings to impose their morals on me .. so, I am good.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
I have been contributing to 2 different charities for 10 years now. One is to a hospital and about $35 a month. Other one is I am sponsoring a little girl in rural India at $60 a month; I have been her sponsor for 10 + years. now my financial situation has changed and I no longer feel comfortable giving $100 every month.

I am having a hard time deciding whether or not I should stop. If I decide to continue, that $100 would come out in the form of my morning coffee at work or my monthly once lunch with my co-workers. I feel so torn. Hospital contribution can be stopped any time....I am just worried about the little girls contribution. Any thoughts? I feel awful.
Perhaps you can forgo the hospital payments altogether and cut the support for the girl to $30/month.

Charitable organizations are aware that donors' circumstances can change. Do what you need to do with a clear conscience. If/when your financial picture improves, you could resume your contributions.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:22 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Maila, I would NOT send money to charities, ESPECIALLY foreign ones. These "charities" are mostly scams to enrich the people who set them up and then prey on gullible people like yourself by using pics of starving children to tug at your heartstrings. Do you want to do good for poor people? Find some homeless on the street and offer to buy them a meal. You'll be doing vastly more good for the poor than making some con-men in India and here in the USA rich by stealing your hard-earned money. Very little of the money you send ends up helping the poor. Instead, these con-men use your money to furnish their lavish offices, pay themselves outrageous salaries, pay for their vacations, and buy beautiful homes for themselves and their families in the Caribbean.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
lmao ... the evils that are carried out in the name of "think of the poor children".

they have no clue its the exact same thing as the evils in the name of religion. these evils end up happening even when the person(s) have noble intentions.

they often bring up to me ... "whats it matter we get to the same place."

they are right, whats it matter? "my-god-only" and "anti-god" bring us to the exact same place. Both claims have to ignore observation, obscure facts, and turn violent because they both counter observation.

whats its matter?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post

Coffee and lunch vs. Hospital And little girl...

Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Or shopping habits that lead to things like a $150 dress that probably wasn't going to be worn only a couple of times, if that.
Yeah, I sometimes look at posting history when something appears foolish

Old 06-18-2019, 09:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Perhaps you can forgo the hospital payments altogether and cut the support for the girl to $30/month.
Charitable organizations are aware that donors' circumstances can change. Do what you need to do with a clear conscience. If/when your financial picture improves, you could resume your contributions.
Yeah, this...or $40.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:19 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
There are many ways to contribute. I have a friend who volunteers to work one day each week serving breakfast and lunch as the local charity to feed the homeless. Two other friends volunteer a day each week to work at the free/low cost animal clinic. Another volunteers at a local health clinic.

It doesn't have to be cash, and those programs to support poor people in 3rd world countries may not be the best at efficient use of the contributed funds.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-20-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 03:53 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
I used to give to World Vision many years ago, a monthly or quarterly donation, until it became too much.
I felt bad at the time, but other things in life take priority.
As others have alluded to, many Charities have high administrative costs, and only a small fraction gets to those in need.
Unfortunately I am too time poor to do charitable work in local communities as such, but it is a good option as others have stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality