Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion, if any, do you follow?
Christianity 20 37.04%
Judaism 3 5.56%
Islam 1 1.85%
Hinduism 0 0%
Chinese Traditional 0 0%
Buddhism 1 1.85%
No Religion 29 53.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:54 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times

Advertisements

Would Albert Einstein tip the scales? He was held in high regard. I gotta ask... Is it a matter of individual uncertainty? or refusal to see what most others see?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 11:56 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Would Albert Einstein tip the scales? He was held in high regard. I gotta ask... Is it a matter of individual uncertainty? or refusal to see what most others see?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Well, that's unique. A man from Tenn touting evolution.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 PM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Would Albert Einstein tip the scales? He was held in high regard. I gotta ask... Is it a matter of individual uncertainty?
Almost. It is a matter of individual certainty.

Quote:
or refusal to see what most others see?
Most others see different gods.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, that's unique. A man from Tenn touting evolution.
The quote is about intellectual evolution. Biological Evolution is still a mystery to all of us. Is it real? yes.

"Imagine that"

Do you have faith in evolution?

Old 09-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
The quote is about intellectual evolution. Biological Evolution is still a mystery to all of us. Is it real? yes.

"Imagine that"

Do you have faith in evolution?
I have an educational background in evolution.

But I'd better check. I think that even using the word evolution in Tennessee is a capital crime.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:32 AM

What school.... and what's your degree?

Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have an educational background in evolution.

But I'd better check. I think that even using the word evolution in Tennessee is a capital crime.
While you try attempting a lame humor, just to remind you, discussion on human evolution (man came from chimp) is not allowed in the R&S section of the forum.

And while we are at it where Eisenstein focuses on “Imagination”,

Imagine, all the time you’ve been living here in a virtual Tennessee.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
It's not really your business which university I went to, but I'm a graduate of the University of the State Of New York and the University Of Maryland.

As far as which degrees, Bachelor's Degree and Master's Degree in Geology, with an emphasis on invertebrate paleontology of the Cambrian through Devonian Periods.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 PM

University of the state of New York is an organization... not a school.

The University of the State of New York (USNY)is the state of New York's governmental umbrella organization for both public and private institutions in New York State. The "university" is not an educational institution

Old 09-23-2019, 05:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
The 'school' is irrelevant, as 'school' is what everyone gets (or should). But asking about degree implies University, even if you meant something more than 'qualifications' by 'school'.

Phet's are impressive. More so than your efforts to muddy the waters with dickering about what the University status actually is. That is actually quite apart from the discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if Phet might concede (1) that I might know something more about ancient history or the Gospels than he does, even though I haven't a degree in either, simply because it wasn't what he studied.

The fact is that the demand for qualifications is very often a grubby trick by apologists to try to get the other side to shut up on the grounds that they don't have a qualification in the subject. Another fact is that I have seen certificate -waving for the sham that it so often is. An expert in a particular field is useful, because what they say can be given weight without having to validate it from Wiki but when someone had their brain reversed by religious faith, then all their certificates are so much bumwipe.

(1) he might say he knew as much -or more- about them than I do and he might be right.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-23-2019 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality