Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion, if any, do you follow?
Christianity 20 37.04%
Judaism 3 5.56%
Islam 1 1.85%
Hinduism 0 0%
Chinese Traditional 0 0%
Buddhism 1 1.85%
No Religion 29 53.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 06:10 PM

51,076 posts, read 24,554,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I find that very hard to believe. I guess the ones that are atheist are cultural Buddhists, but not the practicing ones.
You're welcome to tell us about your Buddhist practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 AM

16,135 posts, read 7,119,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're welcome to tell us about your Buddhist practice.
I am not Buddhist but I have seen Buddhists in Banares on pilgrimage; I have seen them light lamps and worship at altar at the many gumpas in Sikkim. They practice the religion. Maybe the Buddhists you see don’t

Old 09-17-2019, 09:28 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,834,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
I am also a religious Jew. I wont get nto my story here because this is a debate board, and my belifs are not up for debate (unless it's with another Jew, then it's learning!). I don't care what you believe, unless your beliefs somehow hurt me. So, basically, what JB said.
While your story would undoubtedly be of interest, it is your choice whether to post it or not. You choice (so to speak) of religion is certainly your own affair and i, fo one, have no problem with that choice.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-17-2019 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,008,389 times
I am not religious. I feel like religion added nothing to my life and made no logical sense. I am shocked by how many people would not elect an atheist president. As if atheism means people lack morals.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:24 AM

14,969 posts, read 9,874,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I am not religious. I feel like religion added nothing to my life and made no logical sense. I am shocked by how many people would not elect an atheist president. As if atheism means people lack morals.
For people of faith atheism suggests a person who has rejected their spiritual side and sees man as god. Hardheadedness seems to be a common trait of atheism along with intellectual pride.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Are you religious? If so, what religion do you belong to? Do you think your religion is the only truth?

I'm also interested in your reasoning as to why you believe what you believe or why you don't believe in a god.

Why would any god allow so many cruelties to be committed by humans all over the world in his name over the centuries? Not just in the name of Islam but Christianity, too.

. But I invite you to try and explain to me what I may be missing.

So, what do you have to say on the topic? I invite you to directly address my views if you disagree with them.

Stefan

You make a lot of assumptions and state them like facts. I will try to answer the questions you have asked.
I am not sure if I am religious because that word does not mean anything to me. What I practice is learning to listen to my inner self and its wisdom, and that I believe exists. I practice the Hindu tradition of Advaitam. It is founded on the principle that divinity is everywhere, and there is no place where it does not exist, including our own bodies. It has always and always will, it has no birth and therefore no death. This divinity is within us and we have all the powers that the divinity has. In order to reach that place within us where it exists requires a way of life, a certain kind of attitude towards life. Meditation and prayers also help in that they discipline our thoughts and emotions.

There is no true religion because I don't believe in religions. There is only us.

What occurs in the world, the inhumanity, the cruelty, all the suffering is caused by us, by our aown actions. The relief to suffering also need to come from us, from out actions.

I do not believe anyone can explain to you what you are missing. This is a personal journey each one of use makes.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I'm a religious Jew, although I didn't start out that way. I was raised Christian (Baptist, to be specific), and converted to Judaism as an adult after several years of searching and studying other religions. As for why I believe in God, it's because I do; I've tried to not believe, but never had any success in that.

While I might disagree with some things you've said, I'm not going to challenge you. Ultimately, you're free to believe what you wish, and it really has no impact on me. Judaism doesn't hold that it's the only "true" religion, or that everyone has to belong to it. It's the right religion for Jews, and other groups have their own ways to understand and connect with God.

I will say that I find it odd to see you view science and religion as being in some kind of competition or at odds with each other. I've always thought that both influence us and help us to form the worldview we use to navigate life.

This.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:40 AM

151 posts, read 88,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And, as usual, you just set Jews aside from everyone else. There's us, chosen ones and there are you, ones that are not worthy of considering their opinions.

Thank you. I'll stick with power that is higher than everything and everyone else.
The Light of Intelligence.
Wow, how you manage to twist what I said into "chosen vs everyone else" requires some major mental yoga. What I said is my beliefs are not up for debate, especially by people who don't share them. I also don't debate other peoples religion (discuss, maybe. Not debate) because why should I care what your religion is? By the same token, I have friends that I won't debate gun control, vaccines or abortion, because I know up front it will get us nowhere. I won't argue a personal position with someone who is set in their beliefs (as I am). It just becomes a reason to argue, which I'm not interested in.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:47 AM

151 posts, read 88,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
While your story would undoubtedly be of interest, it is your choice whether to post it or not. You choice (so to speak) of religion is certainly your own affair and i, fo one, have no problem with that choice.
Thank you Transponder. I tend not to share it in general ( I have with other religious folks and I've talked some on the Jewish board) because I just don't think I'm that interesting, and if you aren't religious to begin with, I figure it would be even less interesting to you. Kind of like kids. I have kids. I love mine and I, of course think they are amazing, but I don't pull out a bunch of pics and brag about what they're doing unless I'm in like minded company.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,793,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Why? With all the suffering of innocent people in the world, it's hard for me to believe that there should be a god.

But I prefer science. Science doesn't pretend to have all the answers and if a theory gets proven wrong than scientist don't get all upset but they see it as a challenge to get closer to the truth.
I believe in God because partially because there is suffering. With nothingness, no "goalposts" if you will, then why should we even call it suffering?
I believe in good because I know there is evil. There cannot be one without the other.
If we're just clumps of cells that randomly evolved, then how could we possibly know what is right or wrong? Where does our consciousness come from? Why or how would that even come about? What difference could anything possibly make, what are we doing, why do we care? Science doesn't sufficiently explain any of that to me.
Science is cool. Science does explain a lot of basic physical stuff. I love science.
Science, however, is not all that reliable. Our scientific findings are constantly being upended by new discoveries.
Science has dark side. Nuclear weapons. Fossil fuels. Gun powder. Deadly chemicals and drugs. People thought they were doing something good when these were being discovered and developed.
Science should never be a worldview. Science should never be worshiped or treated like an alternative to things it doesn't even pretend to explain or understand.

I follow the Christian faith because I was born into it. I'll own up to that. I'm fine with it.
I realize most believers of any sort were born into that which they prescribe to. I've studied world religions and find them fascinating. I understand the similarities that many of them share. I don't pretend to have all the answers. Like science, I think there is a lot that we don't know about the origin of our religions and how they all came about. I do think there is good in having faith, seeking religion, a "reconnection" to the divine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality