Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 01:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 3,956,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wonder how many people even know that there even exists something called "Scandinavian black metal".

I did not, until just now.
A couple of my friends liked/liked such music. I like some metal, personally, but not the subgenre of death metal. There was one such band from Sweden or Norway that once burned down a church there, think it might've been called Emperor...okay, now that I google, here's a helpful wikipedia page titled 'Early Norwegian black metal scene':

'The early Norwegian black metal scene of the 1990s is credited with creating the modern black metal genre and produced some of the most acclaimed and influential artists in extreme metal. It attracted massive media attention when it was revealed that its members had been responsible for two murders and a wave of church burnings in Norway.

The scene had an ethos and the core members referred to themselves as "The Black Circle" or "Black Metal Inner Circle". It consisted primarily of young men, many of whom gathered at the record shop ******* ("Hell") in Oslo. In interviews, they voiced extreme anti-Christian and misanthropic views, presenting themselves as a cult-like group of militant Satanists who wanted to spread terror, hatred and evil. They adopted pseudonyms and appeared in photographs wearing 'corpse paint' and wielding medieval weaponry. The scene was exclusive and created boundaries around itself, incorporating only those it deemed to be "trve"[1] or committed. Musical integrity was highly important and artists wanted black metal to remain underground and uncorrupted.

In August 1993, several of its members were arrested and in May 1994 were convicted variously for arson, murder, assault and possession of explosives.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_...ck_metal_scene

Futher down that page, 28 different church arsons or attempted arsons are listed as being connected to the 'scene'.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 10-15-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I thought of that, but then I thought "non-practical" might actually have some meaning.
I think his second comment in this thread all but confirmed that he means to say 'non-practicing' when he says 'non-practical'.

Also, appears I have the gender of the OP wrong based on the little female icon I now notice, lol. My apologies.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:11 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,719,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wonder how many people even know that there even exists something called "Scandinavian black metal".
And beyond that, who even knows the lyrics of said genre? I mean, someone does. Probably some long-haired, black-t-shirt-wearing male adolescents in Stockholm and Oslo. Not a large demographic, that.

Perhaps a broader look is in order. What constitutes an 'anti-Christian song' in general? I'm talking reasonably popular English-language music. The only ones that came to mind off the top of my head were XTC's Dear God (hardly a hit - mostly airplay on college radio and such) and Rush's Freewill. Maybe Lennon's God, but merely rejecting faith/belief in general seems rather mild for the label 'anti-Christian'.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:43 PM

17,835 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortituda View Post
As a secular/non-practical Christian,I still feel uncomfortable with many extreme metal songs(especially early Scandinavian black metal) for their anti Christian or Satan-worship,do you also feel offended by anti Christian songs?
Not at all. I usually listen to 'early Scandinavian black metal' when I'm bedding down trying to go to sleep.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:00 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Well

I had a Google of 'Anti - Christian' music and I'm not inclined to post any. 'Satanic' music (which i suspect is just a performing gimmick than anything to do with actual Satanism as practiced (which is -so far as i can tell - the same thing as pantheism) may be anti religious, as it may be anti -establishment, anti - convention, anti -everything and is not really anything to do with 'New' atheism.

I rather distrust polemical messages in songs and poetry because it is too easy to dress up crap in verse and song and make it sound persuasive. I would rather put a cogent and rational case than try to sell it as a propaganda -song. But that's just me.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:43 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,888,273 times
Anything that is spiritual but not full-out Christianity, or questions it in any way, is just as bad as the satanic stuff in my opinion. They are equal. In other words the extreme satanic stuff really doesn't bother me that much in that regard. They are all in darkness so nothing would surprise me.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:45 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Anything that is spiritual but not full-out Christianity, or questions it in any way, is just as bad as the satanic stuff in my opinion. They are equal. In other words the extreme satanic stuff really doesn't bother me that much in that regard. They are all in darkness so nothing would surprise me.
common on ozzy. anything not christian is "satanic"?

thats not what jesus taught.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
And beyond that, who even knows the lyrics of said genre? I mean, someone does. Probably some long-haired, black-t-shirt-wearing male adolescents in Stockholm and Oslo. Not a large demographic, that.

Perhaps a broader look is in order. What constitutes an 'anti-Christian song' in general? I'm talking reasonably popular English-language music. The only ones that came to mind off the top of my head were XTC's Dear God (hardly a hit - mostly airplay on college radio and such) and Rush's Freewill. Maybe Lennon's God, but merely rejecting faith/belief in general seems rather mild for the label 'anti-Christian'.
Like I said earlier in the thread, Tool, Opiate. Also Judith by A Perfect Circle, the side project of Tool's singer, Maynard James Keenan. Listen to either and there is no doubt as to whether they qualify as anti-Christian. Given your references I assume you're older than I (although I like Rush to some extent and Lennon/The Beatles to some extent), but these two songs/bands are/were popular at the level of 'these bands could sell out hockey arenas'. Judith was arguably the most popular song by the latter while Opiate was an early/relatively obscure effort and preceded Tool's rise to stardom.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
There's a not-nonexistent subculture of black/death metal fans here in the US who like enough of these oft-Scandinavian bands; I can claim a couple as friends/former friends. While black T-shirts/clothing are almost a prerequisite for attendance at a concert (from what I understand--I attended what might be characterized as a death metal show by accident once in Cleveland (although the headlining band hailed from Sacramento); otherwise, never), being a teenager or a denizen of Scandinavia is not.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:13 PM

1,761 posts, read 761,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortituda View Post
As a secular/non-practical Christian,I still feel uncomfortable with many extreme metal songs(especially early Scandinavian black metal) for their anti Christian or Satan-worship,do you also feel offended by anti Christian songs?
Well....they have the right to exist and I have the right to not listen. No big deal to me. After all...they might characterize me as "anti-Satanist"...which I am fine with so long as I am left free to worship as I see fit!

However, if they are singing songs about "Satan-worship"...I can't help but wonder if they are doing that to get a reaction on purpose....and if that is the case...the best reaction is to smile and offer them love...as Jesus would want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality