Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 05:43 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Atheism can take many forms, from disbelief in God to the complete rejection of Him because they view Him as an evil entity by virtue of His unwillingness to stop evil. It was Edmond Burke who said: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” We might be able to extend that to "A God who is able to stop evil from triumphing and does nothing must of necessity be evil Himself."

This idea is repugnant to theists naturally so they have invented all sorts of excuses for God. We've heard them a million times around here: "God's ways are mysterious" "God is honoring man's free will" "It's Adam's fault, not God's". They're all pretty silly and without merit. The only one that may be closest to the truth is that there must be a system of justice in the supernatural world that is completely unlike the one we have here. In God's world people suffering horribly is not bad or evil, just unfortunate. We down here who do the suffering cannot fathom such a system. It seems abhorrent to us.

It would be so easy for me to just stop believing there is a God were it not for this pesky detail:

"The 2010 edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica contains 32 volumes, 50 million words and 300 million characters. It requires roughly 1 gigabyte (GB) of disk space to store. A single byte (or 8 bits) can represent 4 DNA base pairs. In order to represent the entire diploid human genome in terms of bytes, we can perform the following calculations: 6×10^9 base pairs/diploid genome x 1 byte/4 base pairs = 1.5×10^9 bytes or 1.5 Gigabytes, about 2 CDs worth of space!"

I hope you got that. The human genome could hold the entire Encyclopedia Britannica and still have room left over for another half of the set. To my mind this kind of gigantic organization of coded information could not have come about by accident. The odds of something like that happening on its own are so infinitesimal as to render the number virtually incapable of being written out.

So I personally can accept there is a Higher Intelligence out there and I can even accept that this Intelligence operates on a morality totally different from ours, but I cannot accept that this Intelligence chooses to foist its warped sense of morality on we who have to suffer under its pernicious set of evil laws.

So I may believe in God but I am under no obligation morally, religiously or otherwise to acknowledge Him or to hold Him in anything other than complete and total indifference. I think by that definition it makes me an atheist who believes in an evil God, strange as that may sound.
As far as the human genome goes, I will offer the following phrases, or paraphrases, that show the complexity of the genome is strong evidence that it did NOT come from a creator.

Brevity is the soul of wit
Sorry I wrote so much but I didn't have time to write less (forgot who said that)
Spaghetti code (computer programming)
The elegance of simplicity
Kludgey

In other words, true genius is to be able find simpler solutions to complex problem, to write neat, tight computer code, to tell a joke without a lot of extra verbiage. A smarter writer can convey the same information, thoughts and meaning using far less words, while a less-capable writer will take many more words to do so.

That fact that DNA is in fact so overwhelmingly complex, verbose and complicated tells me that there wasn't intelligence behind it, and, rather, that it IS the product of evolution, NOT a perfect creator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 05:44 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
This man believes that Atheism rejects God because God will not stop evil for the world who will not believe in God ....... Well God DOES stop evil only for people who are His followers, and God will stop evil for His converts who repent, and God will also stop evil in God’s plan for His church to continue to flourish in the world ........... BUT God will never try to stop evil for the people who call on evil to be normal in their lives and God will watch a people die in their sin and never raise a hand to help the people who want evil and rejects God .... See God has no purpose for people who do evil and would watch a person completely overwhelm themselves, as God is not an ambulance for evil people

Old 04-23-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
This man believes that Atheism rejects God because God will not stop evil for the world who will not believe in God ....... Well God DOES stop evil only for people who are His followers, and God will stop evil for His converts who repent, and God will also stop evil in God’s plan for His church to continue to flourish in the world ........... BUT God will never try to stop evil for the people who call on evil to be normal in their lives and God will watch a people die in their sin and never raise a hand to help the people who want evil and rejects God .... See God has no purpose for people who do evil and would watch a person completely overwhelm themselves, as God is not an ambulance for evil people
When does he start?

Old 04-23-2020, 06:01 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
You do know there are different kinds of Biblical Christianities, many with wildly ranging beliefs?
A simpler, more fundamental version of the question...

If you were somehow convinced the God of the bible exists, would you become a Christian and enter into a personal relationship with God?

Old 04-23-2020, 06:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
If you were somehow convinced the God of the bible exists, would you become a Christian and enter into a personal relationship with God?
I'm not looking to answer your question, I'm saying it'd be easier for others to answer it if they knew exactly what you were talking about. Which God of the Bible? The jealous and vengeful one? The one of the New Testament? Some Christians believe there were two gods of the Bible the evil and the good one. See what I mean? You'd have to narrow down exactly which truths you means.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
As far as the human genome goes, I will offer the following phrases, or paraphrases, that show the complexity of the genome is strong evidence that it did NOT come from a creator.

Brevity is the soul of wit
Sorry I wrote so much but I didn't have time to write less (forgot who said that)
Spaghetti code (computer programming)
The elegance of simplicity
Kludgey

In other words, true genius is to be able find simpler solutions to complex problem, to write neat, tight computer code, to tell a joke without a lot of extra verbiage. A smarter writer can convey the same information, thoughts and meaning using far less words, while a less-capable writer will take many more words to do so.

That fact that DNA is in fact so overwhelmingly complex, verbose and complicated tells me that there wasn't intelligence behind it, and, rather, that it IS the product of evolution, NOT a perfect creator.

"alive" matches what we see pretty good. I am not so sure why some atheist are so against it.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:12 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
I'm not looking to answer your question, I'm saying it'd be easier for others to answer it if they knew exactly what you were talking about. Which God of the Bible? The jealous and vengeful one? The one of the New Testament? Some Christians believe there were two gods of the Bible the evil and the good one. See what I mean? You'd have to narrow down exactly which truths you means.
If you were somehow convinced the vengeful God of the Old Testament exists, would you become a Christian, or would you reject a personal relationship with that God?

Old 04-23-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
no. I wouldn't change a thing. He is bigger than Christianity.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
If you were somehow convinced the vengeful God of the Old Testament exists, would you become a Christian, or would you reject a personal relationship with that God?
no, we are in its image. That image is the periodic table and god fits the PT nicely. so again I wouldn't change. The nt shows the thing growing up.

You question is a kin to judging me in my late teens and stating that how I was then is what I am now. I don't think the universe works that way.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"alive" matches what we see pretty good. I am not so sure why some atheist are so against it.
I have nary a clue what you are trying to say. None, whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality