Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:04 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times

Advertisements

Here we are in another election and I don’t see one political leader addressing the concerns of the nonreligious. In the United States the nonreligious make up 18 to 24 percent of the population which is a number large enough to get the attention of our government and shift things back to a true secular government as our founding fathers wanted it. Is it not time for the Nonreligious to take the lessons learned from the Black and Hispanics movements, and flex that political muscle? We hold a larger percentage of the population than both groups, but I cannot see we have any representation in our government, or any segment of government to protect our rights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Any politician who even suggested that the views of atheists or agnostics should be respected would lose the election, it's as simple as that. I don't think we're a very large group, at least in the US, and the majority of the public don't like us and consider us to be a bad influence in society. For the foreseeable future we won't see an atheist in high office or a politician who even supports us but at least we have the right of free speech which we're exercising on this forum and of course we have atheist authors and a few influential people who write books or present a positive view of atheism. Hopefully in a couple more generations it will be much more accepted in society.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
What are the concerns of the Non religous? Are we not one nation with for the most part similar concerns? including all the hyphenated Americans (which only promotes division)

Old 04-26-2008, 01:59 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,248 times
i think that their both the religious and the non religious promote alot of division between themselves. they probably do have simular concerns but the whole religion thing separates them. the truth is no one outside of the christian faith would ever even get close to bein elected. they would be ridiculed, dispised, and shuned for trying even if they were the best for the job. i call for affirmitive action in the government lol

Old 04-26-2008, 03:13 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,987 times
What are the concerns of the non-religious??? Aren't those basically the same issues as most Americans? And what rights of yours have ever been violated by the government?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:20 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
i think that their both the religious and the non religious promote alot of division between themselves. they probably do have simular concerns but the whole religion thing separates them. the truth is no one outside of the christian faith would ever even get close to bein elected. they would be ridiculed, dispised, and shuned for trying even if they were the best for the job. i call for affirmitive action in the government lol
Ten years ago you would have said the same thing about a woman or a black, and today we have one of each knocking at the door of the White House. The nonreligious have needed to have their voice heard as well as the rest of the population for a long time.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
AT9 wrote:
Quote:
What are the concerns of the non-religious??? Aren't those basically the same issues as most Americans? And what rights of yours have ever been violated by the government?
So far I don't think my rights have been violated by the government. What does concern me is that there is a very influential and politically well connected far right religious movement that would like to expand their influence as far as possible and push this country towards a Christian perspective in many ways which would include undermining our educational system by promoting creationism in public schools, attacking and generally making life miserable for gays and lesbians, establishing the Christian religion as the official religion of America, and the list goes on. I think that Christians and other religious people have every right to follow their beliefs but I also believe that I have that same right and no single group of like minded individuals have the right to force the rest of society to adopt their beliefs even if they are the majority.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:07 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Actually, I think it is a bit unfair to ask a politician to do such a thing. Are we talking more about the concerns of the "non-religious" or are we talking about the concerns of "atheists"? In fact, the concerns for atheists are probably concerns for the religious as well. High gas prices, the Iraq War, medical care, etc.. etc.. The only concern atheists may have aside from the religious are how they are treated by the religious themselves. Yet, there's not really a platform to stand on in that regards. Technically, there are laws saying you cannot discriminate against us just as you can't discriminate against blacks but nonetheless it happens. So, I don't see what any candidate is going to say that's going to assuage or address any of those sorts of issues.

In all actuality, I think a better thing to address would be education standards, the development of critical thinking skills for the young in this country, and a real focus on putting America back into a more dominant force as regards our standings in science, math, and history. If those things would be addressed, then I think you'd fix the majority of the issues that the "non-religious" have with this country.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What are the concerns of the Non religous? Are we not one nation with for the most part similar concerns? including all the hyphenated Americans (which only promotes division)
I would say that one of the biggest concerns of the non-religious is to keep religion out of the political arena.

I personally would suggest that if any member church of a denomination speak about politics from the pulpit, that the entire denomination lose their tax status.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I would say that one of the biggest concerns of the non-religious is to keep religion out of the political arena.

I personally would suggest that if any member church of a denomination speak about politics from the pulpit, that the entire denomination lose their tax status.
That's an interesting take chielgirl. Personally, I think that churches should all be taxed. I can't help but wonder how much better the economy might be if the churches in America were taxed?? I seriously wonder how much it might help out??

Anyway, as far keeping religion out of the political arena or at least addressing the issue... We all know that would be political suicide but I do have enough judgment to realize that there are some candidates who might be a little more sympathetic to these viewpoints than others and it's something I do consider when choosing my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality