Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I was talking about nagging them until they gave in a made a Hinduism sub...
That will come if enough interest is shown in this particular thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 10:26 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That will come if enough interest is shown in this particular thread.
Are you the self-appointed spokesperson and decider of all such? Besides your other “roles”?

Old 10-21-2020, 10:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Are you the self-appointed spokesperson and decider of all such? Besides your other “roles”?
No. But this matter was discussed in deciding to trial this Thread.

Now, I was looking for a likeable video talking about Hinduism. So far I haven't found one that really strikes me as entertaining.

But I did find this, which relates to a particular interest of mine - the Hindu cultural influence in Southeast Asia, before the spread of Buddhism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8snz8eB8UXI

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-21-2020 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
All the sects of Hinduism are firmly based on the vedas (scriptures) and the upanishad (metaphysics). They are not distinct and separated, they just have different emphasis.
Understanding the scriptures is not hard, it is all about do this and not that, like this and not like that, and do this to get that, and this to not get that. These translate fine. They are also the knowledge base of healing, diets, arts, sculpture, mathamatics, astrology, astronomy, sex, law, magic, grammar, yoga, etc. The knowledge of god and the knowledge of the world are intimately intertwined.

But to get at the central meaning of the Upanishads, man, world, and the universal oneness, one needs to know Sanskrit, there is simply no way around it. English simply does not communicate the whole meaning of the words so there is a lot of reductive understanding and mis-understanding of what Hinduism is if you only know English. Most western scholars of Hinduism are Europeans who are also scholars of Sanskrit, particularly Germans. There are some similarities in the way the two languages function as well.

I believe American Buddhism suffers in the same way.
Two questions:

Question: When you say "The knowledge of god"...I was not under the impression that Hinduism was at all based on the concept of one god, singular.

Question: This term you have used several times -- "American Buddhism" -- what exactly is that?

Old 10-21-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Two questions:

Question: When you say "The knowledge of god"...I was not under the impression that Hinduism was at all based on the concept of one god, singular.

Question: This term you have used several times -- "American Buddhism" -- what exactly is that?
Depends on who or what your source was for your impression. If you asked a hindu she would have told you there is only one.
God here is not the same as god is conceptualized in Christianity. In Sanskrit it is Brhman, a noun that has no gender. The root of the word means big, and the word means Bigness. It is to be understood it is what bigness means there is nothing else like it. You can say an elephant is big, but this bigness is what gives the very meaning to the concept of big, it is universe, many universes, before the beginning of time, fills everything. Most importantly it simply is, and it is all that is.

American Buddhism is what American Yoga is. Yoga was never meant to be, nor was practiced, as a fitness product. It is a complete system of mind-body-breath practice. I view American Buddhism as a brand.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No. But this matter was discussed in deciding to trial this Thread.

Now, I was looking for a likeable video talking about Hinduism. So far I haven't found one that really strikes me as entertaining.

But I did find this, which relates to a particular interest of mine - the Hindu cultural influence in Southeast Asia, before the spread of Buddhism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8snz8eB8UXI
Have not watched it but I am curious as to why you keep bringing up Buddhism in a thread called Hinduism Thread Discussion. Neither are mere curiosity.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:07 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Have not watched it but I am curious as to why you keep bringing up Buddhism in a thread called Hinduism Thread Discussion. Neither are mere curiosity.

Buddhism is Hinduist heresy.

It fits.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Depends on who or what your source was for your impression. If you asked a hindu she would have told you there is only one.
God here is not the same as god is conceptualized in Christianity. In Sanskrit it is Brhman, a noun that has no gender. The root of the word means big, and the word means Bigness. It is to be understood it is what bigness means there is nothing else like it. You can say an elephant is big, but this bigness is what gives the very meaning to the concept of big, it is universe, many universes, before the beginning of time, fills everything. Most importantly it simply is, and it is all that is.

American Buddhism is what American Yoga is. Yoga was never meant to be, nor was practiced, as a fitness product. It is a complete system of mind-body-breath practice. I view American Buddhism as a brand.
The only problem is, I have asked a few Hindus, and that's not what they said. Usually the answer I got was something along the lines of, "Well, we have many gods".

"I view American Buddhism as a brand" tells me little.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
In all fairness, you often talk about both in posts.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Buddhism is Hinduist heresy.

It fits.
There is no such thing as heresy in Hinduism. There are many debates and responses to Buddhists schools and the idea of shunya, but Hinduism considers all paths to the divine as equally valid and sacred. When the whole world is Brhman and we are all in Brahman, there is nothing to invalidate. This idea is categorically stated in many texts, and particularly in the Gita. As i stated before Hindus consider Buddha an avatar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality