Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM

335 posts, read 375,777 times

Advertisements

You can reply if you would like, but the OP has been answered and we are far from that issue now.

Most people will only look at information which reinforces their predisposition of belief.

Evolutionists are just as close minded as Fundamentalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
True and general enough, yet you have provided nothing to refute them.

You claim it as a personal belief. A lot of things are taught, but that doesn't mean they are all true. Another generality.

I agree that people ignore many things in which they choose not to believe. This goes for either side of an issue.

Religious people ignore facets of evolution which are empirically established, and evolutionists reject anything which exposes their theoretical conclusions.

Example: "If a C-14 date supports our theories, we put it in the main text. If it does not entirely contradict them, we put it in a footnote. And if it is completely “out of date, we just drop it." T. Save-Soderbergh and I.U. Olsson (Institute of Egyptology and Institute of Uppsala, Sweden), C-14 dating and Egyptian chronology in radiocarbon variations and absolute chronology, Proceedings of the twelfth Nobel Symposium
Proof has been posted enough on here, cant help if you choose to ignore it.

Evolution is fact. The religious do not provide any proof that evolution is not correct, other than their bible passages. Do you know what a scientific theory is? As used in science, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.

Any scientific theory must be based on a careful and rational examination of the facts. A clear distinction needs to be made between facts (things which can be observed and/or measured) and theories (explanations which correlate and interpret the facts.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
You can reply if you would like, but the OP has been answered and we are far from that issue now.

Most people will only look at information which reinforces their predisposition of belief.

No we are not, we actually look at all the facts, to which the creationists have none.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Charles Darwin:
"I am quite conscious that my speculations run quite beyond the bounds of true science." (from a letter to Asa Gray, Harvard biology professor, cited in _Charles Darwin and the Problem of Creation_, N.C. Gillespie, p.2)
That quote does not appear on page 2 of Gillespie's book but, rather, on page 63, in a paragraph carrying over from page 62.

You should look for a more reliable 'Creationist' web site...if in fact one exists.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,240 times
Quote:

Evolution theory can change. Not really a sign of a closed mind.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That quote does not appear on page 2 of Gillespie's book but, rather, on page 63, in a paragraph carrying over from page 62.

Could you provide proof for this statement? Not doubting, but every source I see on the net says page 2.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
[/b]

No we are not, we actually look at all the facts, to which the creationists have none.
I guess the fallacy of absolutism in this statement escapes you?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
Evolution theory can change. Not really a sign of a closed mind.
Thus the attitude projecting that which is changeable as established or absolute.

You see, as I am neither, I am the one actually objective. I see religious types as close minded as well as evolutionists (although both will adamantly refute this). Both refuse to acknowledge science which compromises their beliefs. I accept unquestionable science regardless of what it proves.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I guess the fallacy of absolutism in this statement escapes you?
No fallacy, evolution can change based on facts and findings. So too would our view on it, based on those facts and finding. Creationists have nothing.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Could you provide proof for this statement? Not doubting, but every source I see on the net says page 2.
Why don't you read the book yourself like I did. You can get the book here...

Amazon.com: Charles Darwin and the Problem of Creation (9780226293745): Neal C. Gillespie: Books

..and you'll find the quote on page 63.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality