Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 10:25 AM

1,799 posts, read 562,887 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if folks had quotes they felt like impacted them in their lives. They don't have to fall strictly under the religious/spiritual stuff, as some of mine will show. They don't even have to be positive ones if they work for you, such as...Life sucks, so man up and deal with it. Not mine, just an example.

First , a couple of suggestions/rules . No quotes that denigrate others or their beliefs please. These should be things that help you along , and if what helps you along is something that insults another or their beliefs, let's err on the side of politeness and not go there. Second, the point is NOT to argue and run down quotes from others. Please, let's keep any discussion of what others offer civil. Third, if you are going to quote the Bible, keep it short. I'm not interested in suggesting no Bible quotes, but neither do I want entire paragraphs of Scripture copied and pasted. If I see things falling outside of these 3 suggestions, I will report them to the mods and ask that they be dealt with , and hope for cooperation.

I will give a couple for me in a second post so as to keeps the quotes separated from the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 10:34 AM

I first saw this as the avatar for a guy having lots of personal problems on a camping forum I frequent. I guess it was his way of dealing. It struck a chord with me , and I have heartily embraced this idea ever since , and I've actually used this when times didn't go well for me. We humans are the only ones who make their lives more miserable by sitting and whining over our situation instead of coping and dealing with it as best we can.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
In line with your photo ... Ignorance is bliss.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:39 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
How do you know that an animal isn't feeling sorry for himself and suffering?

Old 02-11-2021, 10:39 AM

Says it all.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How do you know that an animal isn't feeling sorry for himself and suffering?

Few animals, outside of perhaps chimps and bonobos and possibly not even them, are thought to be capable of introspection, which would be required for self pity. Animals just deal , without self pity.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:52 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,873 times
"Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly." From Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:07 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Psalms 14:15 - The simple giveth credence to everything, And the prudent attendeth to his step.

Truth is not what you want it to be, it is what it is; and you must bend to its power or live a lie. - Miyamoto Mushashi

We rarely think of what we have, but always what we lack. - Arthur Schopenhauer

You do not travel to arrive, but to travel. - Goethe

Life is not a pony farm - German saying

Everything has an end, only a sausage has two. - German saying

Old 02-11-2021, 11:40 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Few animals, outside of perhaps chimps and bonobos and possibly not even them, are thought to be capable of introspection, which would be required for self pity. Animals just deal , without self pity.
I'll just tell you that if my parrots can get angry and sad, I'm not sure that's as definite as you think.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll just tell you that if my parrots can get angry and sad, I'm not sure that's as definite as you think.
Then I guess the quote doesn't work for you, does it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality