Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 07:29 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Interesting stuff. I have always felt the most devout people are the most unhappy. And devout Christians and Muslims at the top of that list. Whereas less judgemental folks of faith are much more happy. I am an atheist and lead a very relaxed happy life. And I am fine with whatever anyone is. We should all have the free will and right to choose whatever makes us happy without being ridiculed for it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dy-claims.html

Atheists are just as happy as devout religious believers, a study said yesterday.
It confounded the long-accepted convention that confirmed Christians and the convinced followers of other faiths are happier and more content with their lives than those without religion.
But the researchers found that either a firm belief in God or strong atheist views are more likely to lead to a satisfied mind than a loose attachment to religious faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 08:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
no, religion is not the only way to happiness. But it can help people until they can help themselves.

it is exactly like medicine.

if I have to explain it, maybe one shouldn't be in the conversation outside of trying to learn.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:53 PM

Moderator cut: Off topic quoted post removed.

Religion is the belief in a superhuman controlling power. So that would preclude Atheists. Just because someone strongly believes there is no God and tries to convince others of that does not make it a religion. It is their personal belief. If courts have said otherwise. Well not all court rulings are correct and unbiased.

Moderator cut: Off topic quoted post removed.

Miserable people are everywhere. For lots of reasons that go way beyond whether or not they believe in God. I don't think people should be harassed for their beliefs or lack thereof. But lots of people see it differently. I agree most believe in the supernatural. I have seen 68% or more in surveys. Regardless a majority for sure. But what does that infer?

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-20-2021 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Off topic quoted post removed.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:07 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Religion is the belief in a superhuman controlling power. So that would preclude Atheists. Just because someone strongly believes there is no God and tries to convince others of that does not make it a religion. It is their personal belief. If courts have said otherwise. Well not all court rulings are correct and unbiased.

Miserable people are everywhere. For lots of reasons that go way beyond whether or not they believe in God. I don't think people should be harassed for their beliefs or lack thereof. But lots of people see it differently. I agree most believe in the supernatural. Stronger in the poorer countries around the world.
Your statement that belief in God involves the supernatural is based on the fact that a lot of people believe that. It is NOT an automatic requirement of belief in God. It is an ad populum fallacy to think it is. Many of us do not believe there is anything supernatural, just currently unknown.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your statement that belief in God involves the supernatural is based on the fact that a lot of people believe that. It is NOT an automatic requirement of belief in God. It is an ad populum fallacy to think it is. Many of us do not believe there is anything supernatural, just currently unknown.

Beyond scientific understanding makes it supernatural. I am talking today not some hypothetical possibility in the future that might change that. I am not a believer that people have visited earth from other parts of the universe. If it turns out they are here or have been then I will change my opinion. But any of this to pass the scientific muster it needs to be proven not just believed.

And I am not rooting for one side or another. Whatever is proved is fine by me.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-19-2021 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-19-2021, 11:45 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:

Miserable people are everywhere. For lots of reasons that go way beyond whether or not they believe in God. I don't think people should be harassed for their beliefs or lack thereof. But lots of people see it differently. I agree most believe in the supernatural. I have seen 68% or more in surveys. Regardless a majority for sure. But what does that infer?
Very cool that you think people should have the free will and right to choose their belief and not be harassed or ridiculed for it.
I fully agree.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:54 PM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Interesting stuff. I have always felt the most devout people are the most unhappy. And devout Christians and Muslims at the top of that list. Whereas less judgemental folks of faith are much more happy. I am an atheist and lead a very relaxed happy life. And I am fine with whatever anyone is. We should all have the free will and right to choose whatever makes us happy without being ridiculed for it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dy-claims.html

Atheists are just as happy as devout religious believers, a study said yesterday.
It confounded the long-accepted convention that confirmed Christians and the convinced followers of other faiths are happier and more content with their lives than those without religion.
But the researchers found that either a firm belief in God or strong atheist views are more likely to lead to a satisfied mind than a loose attachment to religious faith.
You will soon get the usual reports about atheist being more prone to suicide and depression, but that will be a misrepresentation of people who do not regularly attend church. Regular church attendance, like any group support, will do this.

I can believe the devout are more unhappy because the world does not run in the way their religious texts say it should. The less devout can compartmentalize this conflict between religious belief and reality, the fundamentalists can not.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:16 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, religion is not the only way to happiness. But it can help people until they can help themselves.

it is exactly like medicine.

if I have to explain it, maybe one shouldn't be in the conversation outside of trying to learn.
This is my thinking too.

I can't say just how effective it is but I have noticed this effect.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:01 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
This is my thinking too.

I can't say just how effective it is but I have noticed this effect.
I agree. I was just confused about who the post was aimed at as no one had said otherwise.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Very cool that you think people should have the free will and right to choose their belief and not be harassed or ridiculed for it.
I fully agree.

I don't get how anyone could feel any other way. Yet there are endless examples of others trying to dictate how people should think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality