Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 03:48 PM

7,601 posts, read 6,104,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
There is only One God, and He does not have different versions of Himself. The Kingship of Christ must be publicly acknowledged by those with civil power.
last I checked, there is No God. If you have some Proof or evidence of such a being, please present it.

Now in regards to an earlier statement I made, let me clarify. The Southern Baptist church has long been noted to be anti-intellectual, anti -scholarship and representative of Biblical Literalism. While not all persons so affiliated are in those categories, the system in place has always allowed for the those who hold views of anti-science , for example, to have an audience and voice at the forefront of the movement.
I would also point out that like it or not, that in 1845 the Southern Baptists SPLIT from the rest of the Baptists ("Northern Baptists") Over the issue of slavery. While some have apologized or tried to deny this, the historical facts cannot be changed.
Southern Baptists, in the mid 1800s favored slavery.

Racism, in spite of the recent election of a black man as a leader in the movement, is STILL very prominent today. I conversed with many Southern Baptists over the years, recently in 2010 to 2016, having numerous friends of some repute and other acquaintances, and I have never heard such liberal use of the N-Word outside of a Quentin Tarantino film as from the mouths of loving, God-Fearing Southern Baptists. So not amount of rhetoric, religious banter or promises of future proof of some deity can ever undo the pure racism that has been part of the movement and sadly, still is. It is the actions, above all else which drive individuals like myself far away from these types of religious movements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 03:48 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,610,454 times
Quote:
There is only One God, and He does not have different versions of Himself. The Kingship of Christ must be publicly acknowledged by those with civil power.
I think its people's visions are the problem, not god's.

Some Christian's sound like children in awe of their father. Not necessarily a bad thing, but there is a time to realize what is going on.

Its not that there is nothing. The science points to believing in some thing as far more reliable than not. Its just not your Christian god. It,s just god.

Conversely, there are some atheist that sound like adult children of abuse. They even sense that we atheist can believe in some thing and they Feak out.

The rest of us are stuck in the middle and can actually get along just fine.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:07 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times
Quote:
Well your democratic utopia has come true, so what are you worried about? Peace and good will are in abundance, and the citizenry exudes virtue, no?
It is far from being a utopia but I rather live in a democracy than die in a religious kingdom. At least I have some rights and some oportunity to improve the socuety I live in.

Whereas you seem to think it acceptable to live in a society where everyone needs to accept your beliefs. Do you find the way that Jews were treated in Christian Medieval Europe acceptable?

Old 05-25-2022, 04:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,610,454 times
Quote:
Well your democratic utopia has come true, so what are you worried about? Peace and good will are in abundance, and the citizenry exudes virtue, no?
some of them would rather kill us all then meet in the middle.

"Freed of religion", is by far the most rational position. Religion-ist believers need to understand that more because their are so many more of them.

Fundamental atheism is just as bad, but their numbers are so low they usually resort to dishonesty, avoidance, shunning, and a host of other dehumanizing tactics we see in the news today.

The bottom line: Based on just commonsense, believing in some thing more is far more rational. That's why fundy think atheist religion-ist have to avoid it.

I mean just go out side and look around.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:21 PM

11,140 posts, read 7,205,083 times
Wow, based on this forum, every SB must be crying on a daily basis. LOL

Old 05-25-2022, 06:20 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
last I checked, there is No God. If you have some Proof or evidence of such a being, please present it.

Now in regards to an earlier statement I made, let me clarify. The Southern Baptist church has long been noted to be anti-intellectual, anti -scholarship and representative of Biblical Literalism. While not all persons so affiliated are in those categories, the system in place has always allowed for the those who hold views of anti-science , for example, to have an audience and voice at the forefront of the movement.
I would also point out that like it or not, that in 1845 the Southern Baptists SPLIT from the rest of the Baptists ("Northern Baptists") Over the issue of slavery. While some have apologized or tried to deny this, the historical facts cannot be changed.
Southern Baptists, in the mid 1800s favored slavery.

Racism, in spite of the recent election of a black man as a leader in the movement, is STILL very prominent today. I conversed with many Southern Baptists over the years, recently in 2010 to 2016, having numerous friends of some repute and other acquaintances, and I have never heard such liberal use of the N-Word outside of a Quentin Tarantino film as from the mouths of loving, God-Fearing Southern Baptists. So not amount of rhetoric, religious banter or promises of future proof of some deity can ever undo the pure racism that has been part of the movement and sadly, still is. It is the actions, above all else which drive individuals like myself far away from these types of religious movements.
Anthropomorphic being Deity God....just metaphorical and allegorical representative characters in works of literary art...that represent "GOD", as defined and known.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:51 PM

13,685 posts, read 8,001,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Whereas you seem to think it acceptable to live in a society where everyone needs to accept your beliefs.
I don't advocate forcing anyone to believe anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Do you find the way that Jews were treated in Christian Medieval Europe acceptable?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. "Christian Medieval Europe" covers a lot of time and ground.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:53 PM

13,685 posts, read 8,001,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
some of them would rather kill us all then meet in the middle.

"Freed of religion", is by far the most rational position. Religion-ist believers need to understand that more because their are so many more of them.

Fundamental atheism is just as bad, but their numbers are so low they usually resort to dishonesty, avoidance, shunning, and a host of other dehumanizing tactics we see in the news today.

The bottom line: Based on just commonsense, believing in some thing more is far more rational. That's why fundy think atheist religion-ist have to avoid it.

I mean just go out side and look around.
"Freed of religion" is just code for forcing the philosophy of irreligion on the religious.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:58 PM

50,960 posts, read 24,459,082 times
Quote:
"Freed of religion" is just code for forcing the philosophy of irreligion on the religious.
So the forcing of religion on others by the Catholic Church over many decades and even centuries was okay, but the forcing a philosophy of irreligion is not okay.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times
Quote:
I don't advocate forcing anyone to believe anything.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. "Christian Medieval Europe" covers a lot of time and ground.
You did say everyone in civil power had to believe in Jesus.

As far as Medieval Europe, I provided many examples but I do realize a did not provide a comprehensive review of every action in every country. I guess in your view kiling Jews in all countries but one is acceptable because it did not happen in Austria from 979 yo 984?

Maybe instead of a Catholic theocracy an Islam or Buddest one would be acceptable to you? Or does it have to be of your religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality