Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 07:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

"literally died and rose" ...

The drop is a good thing ...

equating the reliable belief the event didn't happen literally as a win for the equally less reliable deny everything for the good of atheism's cause is political more than honesty.

believing in some thing more is just more reliable. I mean, just walk outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 08:33 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That said, have you never heard of a kid getting molested or abused in a youth soccer league? Boys Scouts? Anything else? People do bad things. Even among atheists, some are bad. Scumbags hurt kids. Doesn't mean that the entire organization is to blame.
No it doesn't mean the whole organization is to blame but the thing I critique is whether the organization roots out that kind of perfidy or conceals, excuses and even rewards it. The Catholic church has a pretty consistent pattern of simply transferring boy-diddling priests or bishops to different postings with little to no sanctions for their actions. And that is complicity beyond what they strictly would have borne if they had simply acknowledged these things and did their best to make them right AND correct the systemic issues that gave rise to them.

In the particular case of the Catholics (who by no means are the only ones with problems, just the best known), they are unable to address the systemic issues because of the straightjacket of church tradition, because in my view, much of the problem comes from the requirement of celibacy for priests. It creates a perfect storm of denial and repression of sexuality, attraction of people running from their sexual impulses, and then excusing and concealing the problem's manifestations to save face.

The question you're probably more interested in debating is whether religion is particularly prone to this kind of thing. I tend to think probably yes, but don't have (or at least am unaware of) empirical data to support that, so I don't make that claim, other than voicing a personal suspicion. You are correct that in a sense a youth pastor (for example) has no more access to potential victims than a high school teacher. It is a more subjective conversation whether some hypothetical youth pastor would have more rationalizations at his or her disposal because of the general thought landscape provided by religious beliefs, dogmas, etc. Or whether they would be more driven to being bad actors due to a more self-loathing and conflicted stance toward sexuality. I frankly don't know the answer to that, but know only that when I had kids in school I would have worried about them more in a religious setting than a secular one on that particular score.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:45 AM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
I'm not Catholic. I can't and won't speak for them. Please realize that there are actually different denominations and different organizations within Christianity.

That said, have you never heard of a kid getting molested or abused in a youth soccer league? Boys Scouts? Anything else? People do bad things. Even among atheists, some are bad. Scumbags hurt kids. Doesn't mean that the entire organization is to blame.
1. It is a problem for the 'entire organization' when the organization is involved in covering it up.

2. If anyone ought to set the example for morality, it ought to be religious leaders.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:56 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
I'm not Catholic. I can't and won't speak for them. Please realize that there are actually different denominations and different organizations within Christianity.

Is there an institutional cover up scheme with other organizations? Don't forget, religious organizations portray themselves as the height of morality, don't they. You know, that "objective " thingy all y'all keep babbling about.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Is there an institutional cover up scheme with other organizations? Don't forget, religious organizations portray themselves as the height of morality, don't they. You know, that "objective " thingy all y'all keep babbling about.
It isn't just there has been a rather consistent coverup, it's also that in so many, many cases that have come to light there were no consequences.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Kind of reminds me of public schools ... cover up the down fall of our secondary education system ...

Old 05-15-2022, 11:03 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. It is a problem for the 'entire organization' when the organization is involved in covering it up.

2. If anyone ought to set the example for morality, it ought to be religious leaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

This ^^^^ is not true.

The most common Religions teach that people are intrinsically flawed and "sinful"...even born that way.
That everyone needs to repent and be redeemed. That they are not even capable of redeeming themselves...and if they receive it, it was "undeserved", etc, etc
In fact...it is a base premise of the ideology.
Any "objective morality" comes from God...and NONE will meet standards. THAT is the "thingy" they tell of.
Name the other organization that declares all the people in it to not only be "bad", but incapable of being redeemed by themselves or anybody else?

Old 05-15-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This ^^^^ is not true.

The most common Religions teach that people are intrinsically flawed and "sinful"...even born that way.
That everyone needs to repent and be redeemed. That they are not even capable of redeeming themselves...and if they receive it, it was "undeserved", etc, etc
In fact...it is a base premise of the ideology.
Any "objective morality" comes from God...and NONE will meet standards. THAT is the "thingy" they tell of.
Name the other organization that declares all the people in it to not only be "bad", but incapable of being redeemed by themselves or anybody else?
No one here has said that "all the people in it to not only be "bad"".

Old 05-15-2022, 11:35 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Of course some disassociate after something bad occurs...be it a church, business, school, or even a town/city.
They do not want to be where people like that are known to be and active.
And they have no problem noting why...nor have a problem with others noting it.
Again you miss the point.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:43 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Again you miss the point.
It is your intrinsic lack of understanding ("blind" compared to sighted) that makes you think so.
I get the point just fine...which is easy, because it's the base point you all work off of: Bash, insult, & mock Religion and related. Everything you all post keys off that.
This thread is a prime example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality