Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 10:16 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I see you from your profile is Baptist: Yet here is a testomony of a Baptist white person: My 1815 family Bible gives witness to ancestors from middle Georgia who were Baptist preachers, slave owners, and Confederate soldiers. My family moved from Virginia to Georgia after receiving land grants as a reward for military service in the Revolutionary War. This occurred while the government was forcibly removing Native Americans from Georgia and supporting the growth of white settlements.
Your family was probably a lot like other families from the south. The fact that they were Christians didn't make them own slaves.
Quote:
Underneath the glossy, self-congratulatory histories that white Christian churches have written about themselves—which typically depict white Christians as exemplars of democratic principles and pillars of the community—is a thinly veiled, deeply troubling past. White Christian churches have not just been complacent or complicit in failing to address racism; rather, as the dominant cultural power in the U.S., they have been responsible for constructing and sustaining a project to protect white supremacy. Through the entire American story, white Christianity has served as the central source of moral legitimacy for a society explicitly built to value the lives of white people over Black people. And this legacy remains present and measurable in the cultural DNA of contemporary white Christianity, not only among evangelicals in the South but also among mainline Protestants in the Midwest and Catholics in the Northeast.https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...kening/614641/
You want to attack bad white churches? I'm right there with you. There is nothing God-honoring about racism.

Quote:
Meanwhile I know that many, many Christians are against same sex marriage, yet at the same time many white Christians are against interracial marriage: An example is: Mississippi couple was denied a wedding venue because the groom was black and the bride was white. The venue's owners claimed the couple’s union went against their “Christian beliefs.”
Your attempting to draw a correlation where it doesn't exist. Homosexuality and race are different things.

God has stated homosexuality is sinful, and marriage is defined by God as 1 man and 1 woman. The fact that Christians are known for wanting to adhere to God's Word doesn't make them wrong.
Quote:
The so-called “Christian” motivations behind such bigoted opinions are deeply embedded in some conservative Christians circles, which cherry-pick parts of the Bible that fit into their personal mold of God. Often, such Christians identify with the “Religious Right.”
You've asserted bigotry but you have ignored that which God has said. Your opinion on this does establish fact.
Quote:
The creation of the Religious Right can be traced back to the late 1960s, when public schools were forced to integrate. In response to mandatory integration, conservative white Christians formed new whites-only private schools. In one particular county, Holmes County in Mississippi, the number of white students enrolled in public schools had dropped to zero in the years following the Brown v. Board of Education ruling.

https://sojo.net/articles/christian-...-still-problem Sure many years ago opposition to interracial relationships may have once been typical behavior among Christians, it still is in some circles to this day. IN a poll where there was a survey on this: 20% of white evangelical Christians in the United States oppose interracial marriage, a rate significantly higher than any other demographic group polled.
Now you're just way off on a tangent. I honestly don't care what a bunch of racists did 60 years ago. It does not mean that all Christians are racist now.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:12 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Your family was probably a lot like other families from the south. The fact that they were Christians didn't make them own slaves.

You want to attack bad white churches? I'm right there with you. There is nothing God-honoring about racism.

Your attempting to draw a correlation where it doesn't exist. Homosexuality and race are different things.

God has stated homosexuality is sinful, and marriage is defined by God as 1 man and 1 woman. The fact that Christians are known for wanting to adhere to God's Word doesn't make them wrong.

You've asserted bigotry but you have ignored that which God has said. Your opinion on this does establish fact.

Now you're just way off on a tangent. I honestly don't care what a bunch of racists did 60 years ago. It does not mean that all Christians are racist now.
You're a Baptist fundamentalist and you don't know that the Southern Baptist denomination formally apologized for their involvement in slavery?

Old 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're a Baptist fundamentalist and you don't know that the Southern Baptist denomination formally apologized for their involvement in slavery?
Yes. I'm aware of that.

Now are you so naive as to believe the reason they owned slaves was because they're Christians? Are you really going to blame Christianity for slavery? It wasn't Christianity that invented it.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Yes. I'm aware of that.

Now are you so naive as to believe the reason they owned slaves was because they're Christians? Are you really going to blame Christianity for slavery? It wasn't Christianity that invented it.
What is it they were apologizing for? Uncle Ben's rice?

Old 10-15-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What is it they were apologizing for?
My understanding was that they were apologizing for not taking a stance against it. I'm not SBC.

And I will repeat. There is no teaching in the Bible that suggests that we should own slaves. One cannot justify slavery from the Bible.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:51 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
My understanding was that they were apologizing for not taking a stance against it. I'm not SBC.

And I will repeat. There is no teaching in the Bible that suggests that we should own slaves. One cannot justify slavery from the Bible.
I'm not sure this is entirely true...

"The Bible contains many references to slavery, which was a common practice in antiquity. Biblical texts outline sources and the legal status of slaves, economic roles of slavery, types of slavery, and debt slavery, which thoroughly explain the institution of slavery in Israel in antiquity. The Bible stipulates the treatment of slaves, especially in the Old Testament. There are also references to slavery in the New Testament.

Many of the patriarchs portrayed in the Bible were from the upper echelons of society, owned slaves, enslaved those in debt to them, bought their fellow citizens' daughters as concubines, and consistently enslaved foreign men to work on their fields. Masters were men, and it is not evident that women were able to own slaves until the Elephantine papyri in the 400s BC. Other than these instances, it is unclear whether or not state-instituted slavery was an accepted practice." -- Wikipedia

Slaves, women, gays..., there is much in the Bible that can't be ignored the way you seem wanting.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Then you need to do some research.

So you don't consider fellow Baptists your 'brothers in christ'?

Old 10-15-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm not sure this is entirely true...

"The Bible contains many references to slavery, which was a common practice in antiquity. Biblical texts outline sources and the legal status of slaves, economic roles of slavery, types of slavery, and debt slavery, which thoroughly explain the institution of slavery in Israel in antiquity. The Bible stipulates the treatment of slaves, especially in the Old Testament. There are also references to slavery in the New Testament.

Many of the patriarchs portrayed in the Bible were from the upper echelons of society, owned slaves, enslaved those in debt to them, bought their fellow citizens' daughters as concubines, and consistently enslaved foreign men to work on their fields. Masters were men, and it is not evident that women were able to own slaves until the Elephantine papyri in the 400s BC. Other than these instances, it is unclear whether or not state-instituted slavery was an accepted practice." -- Wikipedia

Slaves, women, gays..., there is much in the Bible that can't be ignored the way you seem wanting.
Sigh. ok. This canard again?

We aren't Israel. Yes. God allowed Israel to practice slavery, but we are not Israel.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:00 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:

We aren't Israel. Yes. God allowed Israel to practice slavery, but we are not Israel.
There's a whole thread in the Christianity forum opining that all of Christianity is Israel.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Oh, so the stories of the bible, which are all from the middle east, are not appropriate today. Well, that's a news bulletin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality