Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:16 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Who decides what is moral?

Is morality absolute or is it an ever-changing thing?
As for your first question...when all is said and done it will be God who decides whether each person was moral or not.
Each countries laws decide, and it's people, but they are frquently in conflict with God's laws.

As for the second question, yes, it is ever changing ...by man, but not by God. Therefore, with God it is absolute.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 AM

100 posts, read 374,543 times
God will decide on Judgment Day whether or not a person lived a moral life or not.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
I don't believe in any god.
Nope, not any one of the thousands of them that have existed from the beginning of time.

All I have is today.
I try to be the best person I can be in any given moment.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 AM

43 posts, read 38,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbearof4 View Post
God will decide on Judgment Day whether or not a person lived a moral life or not.
But as long as they accepted Jesus before they died, all their immorality will be ok.

Cool huh?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Who decides what is moral?

Is morality absolute or is it an ever-changing thing?
Pretty much the society decides what is moral. It comes down to the societal leaders making the decisions.

So, yes, morality is an ever-changing thing.

As a recent example: The FLDS cult deems it moral for women to be bred and raised for sex slaves, incest to be moral, absolute power of certain men to be moral, multiple wives and forced marriage against some of the women's wishes to be moral, sex with very young girls to be moral, exile of pubescent surplus boys to be moral, physical abuse and physical restraint of women and children to keep them in line to be moral.

Each of these things in the larger society is considered very immoral and some of it criminal.

BTW, the lack of girls in India after a generation of sex selection is a huge problem as the young men cannot find wives. Duh! Obviously they weren't thinking long term.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM

862 posts, read 2,621,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranj_Ramak View Post
And most of it was due to religion..
There has been MILLIONS of deaths and numerous WARS due to atheism. Look at China today, look at the former USSR. Atheism breeds death, poverty, pain, suffering, loss of freedom.

To be exact, 73 MILLION people in China have been murdered by its atheistic government.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STATS ON ATHEISM AND THE DEATH IT BRINGS TO ITS PEOPLE

Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranj_Ramak View Post
But as long as they accepted Jesus before they died, all their immorality will be ok.

Cool huh?
ALL of mankind has sinned. We ALL deserve death and eternity in hell. It is through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ that we are offered a FREE GIFT of eternal life. Jesus DIED for the sins of mankind. He took on ALL the sins you & I committed. When we trust in Him, He will give us ETERNAL LIFE. It is a FREE GIFT.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Pretty much the society decides what is moral. It comes down to the societal leaders making the decisions.

So, yes, morality is an ever-changing thing.
Morality MUST be absolute, as found in God's Word. You see, if you leave MORALITY up to society or its leaders, then you can end up with UNJUST LAWS and EVIL LAWS. Nazi Germany is one such example, the former USSR is the other.

Today is Darfur, it is LEGAL and actually PROMOTED by the government, to rape and murder those in opposition to the government. If you say there is NO absolute truth, then you would have to come to the conclusion, that was is happening in Darfur is right and what happened in Nazi Germany is 100% right. This is where the position leads to. If morality is "ever-changing" and it is up to "society" to determine what is wrong or right, you are left with the above conclusion.

That is why there is an ABSOLUTE TRUTH, that is decided by God and given in His Word. Morality is NOT changing and is ABSOLUTE.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:28 PM

553 posts, read 568,136 times
Just a casual reading through the biblical books of Numbers and Joshua lets me know the Bible is the LAST place I want to search for morals OR a moral god. Someone needs to slap a warning label on that book for profanity, vileness, mayhem and plunder and murder. On one hand Jesus "loves the little children" and on another hand he wants to kill people's children with death (talk about redundant) according to the book of Revelation.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
Just a casual reading through the biblical books of Numbers and Joshua lets me know the Bible is the LAST place I want to search for morals OR a moral god. Someone needs to slap a warning label on that book for profanity, vileness, mayhem and plunder and murder. On one hand Jesus "loves the little children" and on another hand he wants to kill people's children with death (talk about redundant) according to the book of Revelation.
Yes, indeed. But don't forget the sociopathic directions in Leviticus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality