Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 07:46 AM

7,598 posts, read 6,099,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Because in cornbread it's an abomination before the Lord. It's the Religion forum, after all.

Seriously, cornbread should have a neutral taste, absorbing the flavor of all the other ingredients. Sugar kind of overwhelms everything else, giving it a desserty kind of quality.
A small amount of sugar in regular cornbread, like the kind I serve with chili or soup is fine. I like it that way.
BUT the thanksgiving dressing, in which I make a few cakes of cornbread and mix it with toast, well, no sugar in that I do not need or want sweet dressing.

And you are correct in that it overwhelms everything.
That is also why, as on old and well known chef's trick, a chef will sometimes mix a teaspoon of brown sugar into sauces and glazes and even burgers, not enough to makes it blatantly sweet but enough to subtly trick the tongue into sensing an extra level of spice.

SO yes, plain cornbread, plain wheat toast and celery and onions cooked in low salt broth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 07:52 AM

9,366 posts, read 13,030,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I hope he feels better My youngest was hospitalized with RSV as a baby. SO was I, decades ago We both survived, but we think Asthma was the result
Anyway take good care of him and let the virus runs its course You will do fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes. Do take care of you and yours during this time when respiratory issues are nothing to take lightly (if there ever is such a time). Our boy (not so little anymore) suffers from asthma which has always had us a bit concerned for him during this time of Covid, and now again as we're all reading about the latest "triple threat."

"Triple threat. Tripledemic. A viral perfect storm. These frightening phrases have dominated recent headlines as some health officials, clinicians, and scientists forecast that SARS-CoV-2, influenza, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) could surge at the same time in Northern Hemisphere locales that have relaxed masking, social distancing, and other COVID-19 precautions.

But a growing body of epidemiological and laboratory evidence offers some reassurance: SARS-CoV-2 and other respiratory viruses often “interfere” with each other. Although waves of each virus may stress emergency rooms and intensive care units, the small clique of researchers who study these viral collisions say there is little chance the trio will peak together and collectively crash hospital systems the way COVID-19 did at the pandemic’s start."

https://www.science.org/content/arti...ledemic-winter
Thank you, both. The good news is that my son is mostly fine. He just has a persistent cough, and it seems socially irresponsible to send him to school (or Thanksgiving dinner) pending the results of flu and RSV tests. He’s been coughing the most at night, which sometimes causes him to vomit.

But we still managed to have a fun day yesterday. We took a walk around the neighborhood, stopping at two playgrounds and a field (both empty of other small children). Later on, we went to my golf club and drove a golf cart around the course. My little boy loves all things vehicle-related, so getting to steer the cart was a real treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Thank you for all of your thoughtful words.

So wonderful that you are committing to living healthier. I've been able to get back to my pre-pregnant weight and get fit again. It isn't easy and it takes a lot of mental power, but you can do it! Small choices daily add up BIG! Exercise a bit more often....water and raw fruits and vegetables are what I did. Easier for me though being at home.
I have a very unusual weight history. Even though I’ve put on a bit of weight recently, I still weigh less now than I did in seventh grade (it’s not as bad as it sounds, since I was only three inches shorter). I struggled with weight issues on and off during childhood but, after having the freshman negative 20 (which was not even purposeful, just incidental to a rough fall freshman year semester), my weight has consistently been much lower as an adult. I don’t look bad right now. I’m just shy of the borderline where I would start to be considered overweight (and my clothes no longer comfortably fitting), but gaining ~15 pounds in 11 months is not a good trend.

I’m reasonably active. I go on runs and longer walks and, during the golf season, will walk the course with a push-cart on non-cardio days (which burns a decent number of calories). I also like most healthy foods—lean proteins, whole grains, and vegetables abound. I kicked the diet soda habit years ago and now drink mostly water, in addition to black coffee in the morning. I could probably stand to have a little more fruit. Sweets are my big weakness, as well as late night snacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
At least as noted above, there is some good news along with the bad. Here's to your brighter side "with beef bacon, and sundry other delights as a family on Friday." Sounds delightful indeed. Best to you and yours!
Yes, indeed! My wife is a front-line healthcare worker, so I’m glad we at least get to celebrate “Thanksgiving” together as a family. Our main dish will probably be something of the pre-marinated boneless skinless turkey breast variety.

As for the joy of beef bacon, I discovered it quite by accident. There are a lot of halal and halal-friendly food carts in Center City Philadelphia, given the not insubstantial Black Muslim population (mostly more recent converts of African-American descent, but also some African immigrant families to boot). Just out of curiosity, I ordered a beef bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast hoagie one day, and it was divine. If you like pastrami (and beef bacon is basically breakfast pastrami since it’s also cured and smoked beef plate), you will like beef bacon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Old 11-24-2022, 08:22 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am here in Ontario currently until February, perhaps longer, perhaps shorter. I am in a position of only being able to make short-term plans in my life at the moment, and Canada only allows US visitors in six-month visits/extensions.

I want to see Banff, too. As a matter of fact, if life allows it when all is said and done, I hope to visit much more of Canada, from the maritimes to BC. Who knew this beautiful country was here all this time!

Of course, you have mentioned in the past that you are somewhere else I would like to see--near the redwoods, right? I have never been to California, but that is something I would like to see.
I hope you manage to see as much as possible there, because yes..., there's much beauty there to see. We knew it was there all this time but just never seemed to make it there before for one reason or another...

Right again. We've got the redwoods right behind us here and plenty of other beautiful gifts from nature all around. All of which is another thing to be very thankful for this Thanksgiving.

"The loss of human-nature interaction has been linked to a rising tide of mental health disorders. A growing body of evidence indicates that human health, both mental and physical, is intrinsically linked to nature.

Just looking at natural scenery has been found to cause rapid beneficial psychological and physiological changes in salivary cortisol, blood flow, blood pressure and brain activity. Meanwhile, contact with microbes in the environment can "train" our immune systems, reinforcing the good microbial communities on our skin and in our airways and guts."

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...g-blue-therapy

As if we didn't already know this, but doesn't hurt to be reminded now and then...

Old 11-24-2022, 08:31 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Thank you, both. The good news is that my son is mostly fine. He just has a persistent cough, and it seems socially irresponsible to send him to school (or Thanksgiving dinner) pending the results of flu and RSV tests. He’s been coughing the most at night, which sometimes causes him to vomit.

But we still managed to have a fun day yesterday. We took a walk around the neighborhood, stopping at two playgrounds and a field (both empty of other small children). Later on, we went to my golf club and drove a golf cart around the course. My little boy loves all things vehicle-related, so getting to steer the cart was a real treat.

I have a very unusual weight history. Even though I’ve put on a bit of weight recently, I still weigh less now than I did in seventh grade (it’s not as bad as it sounds, since I was only three inches shorter). I struggled with weight issues on and off during childhood but, after having the freshman negative 20 (which was not even purposeful, just incidental to a rough fall freshman year semester), my weight has consistently been much lower as an adult. I don’t look bad right now. I’m just shy of the borderline where I would start to be considered overweight (and my clothes no longer comfortably fitting), but gaining ~15 pounds in 11 months is not a good trend.

I’m reasonably active. I go on runs and longer walks and, during the golf season, will walk the course with a push-cart on non-cardio days (which burns a decent number of calories). I also like most healthy foods—lean proteins, whole grains, and vegetables abound. I kicked the diet soda habit years ago and now drink mostly water, in addition to black coffee in the morning. I could probably stand to have a little more fruit. Sweets are my big weakness, as well as late night snacking.

Yes, indeed! My wife is a front-line healthcare worker, so I’m glad we at least get to celebrate “Thanksgiving” together as a family. Our main dish will probably be something of the pre-marinated boneless skinless turkey breast variety.

As for the joy of beef bacon, I discovered it quite by accident. There are a lot of halal and halal-friendly food carts in Center City Philadelphia, given the not insubstantial Black Muslim population (mostly more recent converts of African-American descent, but also some African immigrant families to boot). Just out of curiosity, I ordered a beef bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast hoagie one day, and it was divine. If you like pastrami (and beef bacon is basically breakfast pastrami since it’s also cured and smoked beef plate), you will like beef bacon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
What kid doesn't love driving a golf cart? You remind me of how our two loved them when they were kids. We were once on an island in Mexico where the only vehicles allowed on the island were golf carts. Kids were in "seventh heaven" driving ours all around and in town too.

There. A tie to R&S.

Best of thanksgiving to all! (Even those everywhere TG doesn't exist). Almost time for us to shove off to see our two kids and enjoy ours! Only now instead of electric golf carts it's a Tesla...

Old 11-24-2022, 08:48 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,811,596 times
I could think of many things, but most thankful for my wife of 41 years, my family and my church.

Old 11-24-2022, 09:03 AM

3,282 posts, read 1,762,686 times
If I was a cynic, I'd say Thanksgiving was a celebration of gluttony. But I'm not.
Go easy on the white meat so you can stay awake through the afternoon football game.
I'll be watching the local high school teams going at it. That's good football!
Meanwhile; It's coffee with Sambuca and a Montecristo. Mmmmm.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:02 AM

15,881 posts, read 6,352,105 times
Happy gratitude day everyone.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:48 AM

3,837 posts, read 1,391,239 times
Thankful for family & friends, and having everything I need which is more than I deserve.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Old 11-24-2022, 10:54 AM

11,133 posts, read 7,195,916 times
Get your hands off the keyboard and onto some turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving! Special kudos to those in TX.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:55 AM

22,294 posts, read 19,272,896 times
i don't add sugar when i bake cornbread, but i do add crushed pineapple, and pineapple juice.
yummy.
i also bake in small flat glass baking dishes, to maximize the amount of edge and browned crust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality