Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 08:56 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,755 times

Advertisements

l am a red letter Christian. I read what Jesus said when I am unsure about anything. Never had to go further. I consider people who tell God who he should consider as his people unusually brave, or foolish. I am not that brave. I also prefer not to be in the area when they have that discussion with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 09:37 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Do you believe a church is wrong for daring to follow what the Bible says?
I am going to ask you a two part question but I need to know how you feel about the first question before I ask the question.

First question:

In either of those scenarios described... How do you think the Church should handle the situation? The guy with two wives/guy with husband?

I am asking this in terms of what church policy should be in regards to them being at/involved with the church rather than any advisement (Biblical or otherwise) to the individuals involved in the situation regarding the practice of their "sin".

Old 02-24-2024, 10:28 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Yes, because many churches twist the Bible to meet their own beliefs.
Yes. That perfectly describes many progressive churches.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
l am a red letter Christian. I read what Jesus said when I am unsure about anything. Never had to go further. I consider people who tell God who he should consider as his people unusually brave, or foolish. I am not that brave. I also prefer not to be in the area when they have that discussion with God.
So why do you believe Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John's words are any better or more inspired/dependable/precise than the words of Peter, James, John, Jude, etc?

Old 02-24-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I am going to ask you a two part question but I need to know how you feel about the first question before I ask the question.

First question:

In either of those scenarios described... How do you think the Church should handle the situation? The guy with two wives/guy with husband?
If he's a member, then he should be put under church discipline.
Quote:
I am asking this in terms of what church policy should be in regards to them being at/involved with the church rather than any advisement (Biblical or otherwise) to the individuals involved in the situation regarding the practice of their "sin".
If a man is put under church discipline, that would include being prohibited from serving in any capacity. If he is not a member, the pastor/elders should still lovingly confront him and call him to repentance. If he persists in flaunting his sin, then I'd imagine he would be asked to leave.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:16 PM

Jesus gave us an ideal. I don't know anywhere Jesus said anyone who could not achieve that ideal is condemned. My
-personal belief is that what CONSENTING ADULTS do is between them and God.

AND, YES, I hold the teachings of Jesus superior to any one else's teaching. My personal opinion, apostles and disciples although inspired by God, were human.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:42 PM

'nuff said about my belief. I am looking for a church where my whole family can worship God as he has revealed Himself to each us. I have gotten several good suggestions and I thank all of you. Now, we will start visiting and wait for God to say 'okay, this is a good place for you'.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:07 PM

422 posts, read 159,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I wonder how many churches that claim to welcome gay people have an underlying "Come as you are so we can show you the error of your ways" policy?
That's the big question. I'd be wary of any churches that claim to welcome LGBT people. Be sure that they have been thoroughly vetted first. IIRC there was a website for this, but I can't remember it.

I hope you are able to find a good church, OP. It's a shame what has become of this topic.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:27 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:

If a man is put under church discipline, that would include being prohibited from serving in any capacity. If he is not a member, the pastor/elders should still lovingly confront him and call him to repentance. If he persists in flaunting his sin, then I'd imagine he would be asked to leave.
Thanks,

I certainly think that is a reasonable way to handle the situation.

You gave them a chance. Don't really need to ask the second question.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:38 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

What welcoming words:

discipline
prohibited from serving in any capacity (although I'm sure you'll tale his money)
lovingly confront (LOL)
flaunting his sin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality