Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 07:40 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I suggest you read what you yourself wrote.
Well, as Tom Lehrer once sang:
Quote:
Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Muslims,
And everybody hates the Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:38 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
So if your loved one is murdered, you’ll just “turn the other cheek”? You won’t seek justice?
Justice is reasonable...let me change that to justice can be reasonable. Revenge is something very different.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:43 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Someone who has been convicted of murder beyond a reasonable doubt has done something deserving of death. Moderator cut: Discussing abortion is not permitted in this forum. Read the rules.

The Bible advocates, if not commands us to do, capital punishment for those guilty of murder:

1. Exodus 21:12 He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.

2. Numbers 35:16-17 But if someone strikes and kills another person with a piece of iron, it is murder, and the murderer must be executed. Or if someone with a stone in his hand strikes and kills another person, it is murder, and the murderer must be put to death.

3. Genesis 9:6 If anyone takes a human life, that person’s life will also be taken by human hands. For God made human beings in his own image.
It is funny. If this were about eating lobsters or cheeseburgers... we'd have already have had the "but that was the old covenant" trope tossed onto the board.

So I'm going to throw it out there now. God USED to advocate/command capital punishment for those guilty of murder... But that was the "old covenant. Jesus death on the cross frees us from having to capitally punish those guilty of murder."

Old 03-05-2024, 08:55 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
#1 Killing a person takes it out of God's hands.
Man is a steward. God has always entrusted men to carry out His work on earth. If we operate on the principle that to *do a thing* takes that out of God's hands, then we could literally never do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
The execution also means that that person has less time to make amends and "get right with God" before going to judgement day or whatever the belief of purgatory, hell, heaven, etc...
On the contrary; to know the time of one's death in advance is a great blessing. It tends to focus one's mind on what is truly important. It takes virtually no time to make amends and get right with God. All it takes is to confess one's sin and to repent of them.

You have conceded that Scripture sanctions the death penalty. Even in the New Testament, Paul sanctions it in Romans 13. Principles of justice do not change over time.

That said, one can certainly argue the *prudence* of any particular government enforcing the death penalty at any given time and in any given case. One could indeed make an argument that most contemporary governments are not competent to enforce capital punishment with any semblance of justice.

But that aside, certain crimes are indeed deserving of death. That point should not be debatable.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:59 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
While I believe that some people deserve to die for their crimes, the death penalty has proven far more trouble than its worth. It’s not an effective deterrent, it can’t be applied fairly, and it costs far more in court and other governmental resources, with the inherently long and drawn-out appeals process, than to simply sentence someone to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.
The bolded is only because Christian monarchies of the past have been replaced with "fraternal republics" based on Revolutionary enlightenment ideas (liberté, égalité, fraternité).

Restore Christian monarchy and restore justice.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:41 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
By Judaic, do you mean Abrahamic?
Yes. The root of christianity and muslim religions (no matter how many times they split) is the judaic religoin. They all worshipo the same god and have the same foundation.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:47 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The bolded is only because Christian monarchies of the past have been replaced with "fraternal republics" based on Revolutionary enlightenment ideas (liberté, égalité, fraternité).

Restore Christian monarchy and restore justice.
In my line of work, we call these conclusory assertions.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:04 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
So if your loved one is murdered, you’ll just “turn the other cheek”? You won’t seek justice?
I think a lifetime in prison without the possibility of parole, so the guy never sees the light of day, would constitute justice to me. At some point, the perp has to stand before the Lord and hold himself to account on judgement day, and that is the most terrifying justice I can think of. Even if he repents and comes to Christ, saving his soul, he will still have to stand before the Lord some day.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I think a lifetime in prison without the possibility of parole, so the guy never sees the light of day, would constitute justice to me. At some point, the perp has to stand before the Lord and hold himself to account on judgement day, and that is the most terrifying justice I can think of. Even if he repents and comes to Christ, saving his soul, he will still have to stand before the Lord some day.
There is no such thing. Presidents can pardon, laws can change, sentences can be commuted.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:34 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
In your religion. Not in mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality