Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 07:51 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Um... no.

Pontius Pilate said Christ was innocent. "I find in him no fault...

"But in fact, after examining him in your presence, I have found no grounds to charge this man with those things you accuse him of.”

Pilate did not want to prosecute Christ. He sent Jesus back to the Jews to deal with because he could not find any crime committed against Rome.

It is the Jewish leaders who returned again to Pilate and demanded that he execute Jesus. Even after Pilate had sentenced Jesus to death, he still tried to get Christ released but the Jewish crowd chose Barabas instead.

Even Pontius Pilate realized that Jesus Christ had committed no crimes against Rome, even washing his hands of the entire process. Literally.
I suggest you read what you yourself wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 08:16 PM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
we don't need woo
ah, you speak for the "we" that are having a fixation on imaginary conundrums

Old 03-04-2024, 08:19 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
just a fixation on imaginary conundrums
I'd rather have an imaginary conundrum than an imaginary god. After all, what is a conundrum -- a difficult problem or question.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:21 PM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'd rather have an imaginary conundrum than an imaginary god. After all, what is a conundrum -- a difficult problem or question.
an imaginary conundrum.
have fun with that.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:55 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
ah, you speak for the "we" that are having a fixation on imaginary conundrums
They may be Biblical Conundrums but they are NOT imaginary. I wrestled with many such enigmas trying to reconcile the barbaric Christian dogma with my experience of the consciousness of God matching the "mind of Christ."

Old 03-04-2024, 09:26 PM

6,007 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Someone who has been convicted of murder beyond a reasonable doubt has done something deserving of death. Moderator cut: Discussing abortion is not permitted in this forum. Read the rules.

The Bible advocates, if not commands us to do, capital punishment for those guilty of murder:

1. Exodus 21:12 He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.

2. Numbers 35:16-17 But if someone strikes and kills another person with a piece of iron, it is murder, and the murderer must be executed. Or if someone with a stone in his hand strikes and kills another person, it is murder, and the murderer must be put to death.

3. Genesis 9:6 If anyone takes a human life, that person’s life will also be taken by human hands. For God made human beings in his own image.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-05-2024 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Forum rules violation.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:51 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They may be Biblical Conundrums but they are NOT imaginary. I wrestled with many such enigmas trying to reconcile the barbaric Christian dogma with my experience of the consciousness of God matching the "mind of Christ."
Yes there’s certainly plenty of barbaric stuff in the OT.
Blasphemy was still an offence punishable by death, and the likes of Jewish-Evangelical Christian Ray Comfort keep reminding us of these extreme OT laws.
Jesus Christ himself , and the 2 others crucified with him on that same day, were also put to death for quite trivial and minor charges by today’s standards.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:51 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Someone who has been convicted of murder beyond a reasonable doubt has done something deserving of death. Moderator cut: Discussing abortion is not permitted in this forum. Read the rules.

The Bible advocates, if not commands us to do, capital punishment for those guilty of murder:

1. Exodus 21:12 He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.

2. Numbers 35:16-17 But if someone strikes and kills another person with a piece of iron, it is murder, and the murderer must be executed. Or if someone with a stone in his hand strikes and kills another person, it is murder, and the murderer must be put to death.

3. Genesis 9:6 If anyone takes a human life, that person’s life will also be taken by human hands. For God made human beings in his own image.
One of the OP's points is that the New Testament does not agree with this Old Testament practice, changing from "eye for an eye" to "turn the other cheek". That is one of his several points.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well."

None of the apostles ever wrote in favor of the Death Penalty or declared it to be just.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-05-2024 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:16 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
One of the OP's points is that the New Testament does not agree with this Old Testament practice, changing from "eye for an eye" to "turn the other cheek". That is one of his several points.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well."

None of the apostles ever wrote in favor of the Death Penalty or declared it to be just.
So if your loved one is murdered, you’ll just “turn the other cheek”? You won’t seek justice?

Old 03-05-2024, 06:24 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
So if your loved one is murdered, you’ll just “turn the other cheek”? You won’t seek justice?
Is justice anything other than what is imagined?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality