Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 AM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times

Advertisements

Hi Marian, two congregations were mixed, but mostly white. One was black. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:03 PM

170 posts, read 774,459 times
Default Scripture

Its not just a black thing, white church's as well as other nationalities do the same thing. Here are some scriptures to help understand why we do what we do.

We pray together aloud because in the Bible we read, "They lifted up their voice to God with one accord" (Acts 4:24).
We lift our hands in praise because in the Bible we read, "Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord" (Psalm 134:2).
We sing with all our hearts because in the Bible we read, "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise" (Psalm 98:4).
We play musical instruments because in the Bible we read, "And all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments" (2 Samuel 6:5).
We clap and shout unto God because in the Bible we read, "O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph" (Psalm 47:1).
We dance before the LORD because in the Bible we read, "Praise Him with the timbrel and dance: praise Him with stringed instruments and organs" (Psalm 150:4).
We testify publicly because in the Bible we read, "I will declare thy name unto my brethren; in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee" (Psalm 22:22).
We anoint with oil for divine healing because in the Bible we read, "Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord" (James 5:14).
We allow the operation of the spiritual gifts because in the Bible we read, "When ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation" (1 Corinthians 14:26).

Hope that helps.

Old 08-22-2022, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 326 times
The yelling, screaming & shouting are theatrics. They're what the audience expects & what the preacher/choir director/lead soloist/etc. knows is expected of them. ”Spiritual leaders”??? Try ”entertainers”. People go to church to feel the ”exuberance & excitement”, wanting to ”feel the spirit moving through the place”! - they want to be entertained.

My grandparents attended a tiny church in Oak Grove, AL; never more than 8 to 12 elderly people ignoring their bodily aches for an hour or two while listening to ”The Word of God” every Sunday. Even though I attended only during summer vacations (as a child who wasn't even 10 yet), those services felt more sincere & genuine to me than all the megachurch extravaganzas I've attended & watched since... and I've attended and/or helped organize more than a few megachurch events throughout the NoLA area - being the male PK in my household meant being an excellent role model for the other male youth to follow, whether they wanted to or not & whether I agreed to accept that stress or not.

Much more could be said but I'll save it for my next therapist - just wanted to add one preacher kid's ”behind-the-scenes” experience & amake clear my disdain at how gullible people can be. There is no substance to religion except what we allow ourselves to believe. Every religion promotes itself as the one TRUE religion & denounces all others - this has been 100% screamed at the congregation (as a matter of pride) during many Black services I've attended.

TL;DR: A production assistant who admits the show is fake & that it just amplifies the emotions of the more gullible among us vs. several regular viewers who vehemently argue that it's 100% real, there's nothing fake about it & anyone who says otherwise is (use your imagination) - which would you believe?

Old 08-22-2022, 06:29 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
As Teddy said: "I have always been fond of the West African proverb: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

Shouting is not always necessary.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:20 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
I don't understand why there are white people who think it is their place to criticize Black behavior. I've been to Black churches a few times. If the congregants are comfortable with a particular style of worship, that should be fine.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:42 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Ive even been to some Jeohovas Witness Kingdom Hall meetings with friends and no one ever shouted/screamed/yelled or rhymed when giving the sermon. And these were in ALL BLACK areas. Is it just a black baptist thing?
Most likely Pentecostal rather than Baptist. But Southern Baptist black churches are pretty lively too. I've been to one black church and I quite enjoyed it and I hated church. The music was fantastic and I was soooo fascinated by the enthusiasm and not the Christian possessions of the 'holy spirit' and 'encouraging' 7 year olds to speak in tongues.

If black people are shouting in church, I think it might date back to slavery days when they were fighting to be heard. Hell, I'd be shouting too!

This thread is pretty old but the OP seems kinda racist. Just saying.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:46 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROP TABLE table_name View Post
The yelling, screaming & shouting are theatrics. They're what the audience expects & what the preacher/choir director/lead soloist/etc. knows is expected of them. ”Spiritual leaders”??? Try ”entertainers”. People go to church to feel the ”exuberance & excitement”, wanting to ”feel the spirit moving through the place”! - they want to be entertained.

My grandparents attended a tiny church in Oak Grove, AL; never more than 8 to 12 elderly people ignoring their bodily aches for an hour or two while listening to ”The Word of God” every Sunday. Even though I attended only during summer vacations (as a child who wasn't even 10 yet), those services felt more sincere & genuine to me than all the megachurch extravaganzas I've attended & watched since... and I've attended and/or helped organize more than a few megachurch events throughout the NoLA area - being the male PK in my household meant being an excellent role model for the other male youth to follow, whether they wanted to or not & whether I agreed to accept that stress or not.

Much more could be said but I'll save it for my next therapist - just wanted to add one preacher kid's ”behind-the-scenes” experience & amake clear my disdain at how gullible people can be. There is no substance to religion except what we allow ourselves to believe. Every religion promotes itself as the one TRUE religion & denounces all others - this has been 100% screamed at the congregation (as a matter of pride) during many Black services I've attended.

TL;DR: A production assistant who admits the show is fake & that it just amplifies the emotions of the more gullible among us vs. several regular viewers who vehemently argue that it's 100% real, there's nothing fake about it & anyone who says otherwise is (use your imagination) - which would you believe?
I take it you are not religious? There's an Atheist & Agnostic sub-forum here too. Just telling you because this was your first post.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:15 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't understand why there are white people who think it is their place to criticize Black behavior. I've been to Black churches a few times. If the congregants are comfortable with a particular style of worship, that should be fine.
indeed.
this is a good post and response

what comes to mind is:
"I don't understand why there are atheist people who think it is their place to criticize religious behavior in churches or temples or monasteries. If the congregants are comfortable with a particular style of worship, that should be fine"

Old 08-22-2022, 09:34 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
indeed.

what comes to mind is:
"I don't understand why there are atheist people who think it is their place to criticize religious behavior in churches or temples or monasteries. If the congregants are comfortable with a particular style of worship, that should be fine"
I knew that either you or your twin would post essentially this. I've been waiting.

Here's what you failing to understand. In that post, I specifically talked about behaviors, not beliefs. Two different things.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:41 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
indeed.

what comes to mind is:
Quote:
I knew that either you or your twin would post essentially this. I've been waiting. Here's what you failing to understand. In that post, I specifically talked about behaviors, not beliefs. Two different things.
behaviors, yes. you specifically talked about criticizing religious behaviors.
in churches, temples, monasteries.
such as criticizing chanting in this or that language.
criticizing a prayer service in this or that language.
criticizing congregants who prefer attending this or that type of service.

yes. criticizing those religious behaviors

Quote:
And I stand by my belief that chanting in a language a person doesn't understand is plain foolish; just as foolish as my father's mother who was furious that they changed catholic mass from Latin to English, even though she understood not a single word of Latin.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-22-2022 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality