Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

urbanlemur wrote:
Quote:
Lest we forget though, Jesus was the greatest teacher/preacher/evangelist that ever walked the earth and I don't recall Him ever screaming and shouting at those who wanted to hear Him.
How could anyone today possibly know the style of preaching that Jesus might have used? Afterall, there's no videos of any of his sermons and I don't recall that the Bible ever describes his behavior while he was preaching, it doesn't even tell us what he looked like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:08 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
One of the few times I've ever actually been in a church was actually at an M.B Church. It was a funeral for one of my peewee football coaches back when I was about... 12???

I remember the actual funeral proceedings to be rather somber, of course. But prior to the burial they had a sermon of sorts that was pretty active. I didn't really understand why everyone was acting like they were having a good time while my football coach was laying in a casket at the front of the church. Years later I asked a girlfriend of mine who was devoutly Christian why they were doing that. She said that they were just rejoicing that their lost loved one was in heaven. I guess that's the best I could have asked for in terms of an answer...

Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
it doesn't even tell us what he looked like.
In addition, Christians can't even agree on what color he was.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:21 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
It is very rare for a preacher in the church of Christ to shout, and they never 'scream'. When I do hear one shout at the members from a pulpit, it seems to me to be quite disrespectful. I avoid patronizing such a preacher. There is a young man who brings lessons at a yearly lectureship locally. I always go if possible, but avoid the time of that young man's lesson, because he is so loud it hurts my ears...literally.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:49 AM

790 posts, read 4,019,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
In addition, Christians can't even agree on what color he was.
True.
That he is depicted as a white dude with flowing hair (and usually blond) is pretty funny.
Darken the skin and kink the hair. He wasn't aryan!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:52 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
True.
That he is depicted as a white dude with flowing hair (and usually blond) is pretty funny.
Darken the skin and kink the hair. He wasn't aryan!!!
And in the Bible, it says that men should never have long hair.

Hmm..Another verse some people just won't acknowledge.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:35 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
And in the Bible, it says that men should never have long hair.

Hmm..Another verse some people just won't acknowledge.
Well, i'm thankful for that one ... that's it's not acknowledged. Too much short hair out there ... not here in Santa Cruz though

Old 06-07-2008, 03:45 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,986 times
Why do you assume that all black churches have pastors that scream their way through sermons? Some pastors scream and shout. Others talk in quiet voice. Some do a little of both. Why generalize? Visiting a couple of churches with black congregations does not make you an expert on how blacks worship on Sunday.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
This may be a little off the topic but I think that some may see this type of service as being out of order according to how they understand order. I attending this mostly white congregation once and the person speaking was a guest minister. He was white but he was pretty animated and forceful and as he was speaking he accidentally dislodged the top of the pulpit or something like that and when he finished the sermon, one of the men was a little disturbed. He went up to the pulpit and tried to fix it during the service with a look of dismay on his face. They were very orderly and quiet during their services.

This beautiful animated sister in this video by the Mississippi Mass Choir sings about shouting, for anyone who might be interested.

YouTube - mississippi mass choir

2 Sam. 6
14And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.
15So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

God bless.
Shana my parents have that video. There are several great performances on it.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
One of the few times I've ever actually been in a church was actually at an M.B Church. It was a funeral for one of my peewee football coaches back when I was about... 12???

I remember the actual funeral proceedings to be rather somber, of course. But prior to the burial they had a sermon of sorts that was pretty active. I didn't really understand why everyone was acting like they were having a good time while my football coach was laying in a casket at the front of the church. Years later I asked a girlfriend of mine who was devoutly Christian why they were doing that. She said that they were just rejoicing that their lost loved one was in heaven. I guess that's the best I could have asked for in terms of an answer...
We call funerals home going services. When someone dies we celebrate their life, the time we had with them, and the fact that they are now with God. We still mourn and cry. But the pain is ours not the deceased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality