Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:31 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
But why? I can't bring myself to do that and I don't ever want to. Guess I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't because I will not (can not) stop questioning things. That wouldn't be me.
I was being sarcastic! Although I attend a church, I'm really agnostic at best. I just can't force myself to believe something that makes no sense. I questioned religion from as far back as I can remember. It just never made any sense to me that with so many religions on this planet, my parents took me to a church every Sunday that just happened to be the one, true religion. Really, putting blind faith in a book written by ignorant men thousands of years ago, probably based on fables passed down by word of mouth? It just makes no sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
And what Christians keep forgetting is that not only atheists & agnostics don't believe (or at the very least question) in their god, so do the other world religions. What makes Christians right & all other world religions wrong? I'll never understand that thinking.

Last edited by PixiStix; 06-11-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
And what Christians keep forgetting is that not only athiests & agnostics don't believe (or at the very least question) in their god, so do the other world religions. What make Christians right & all other world religions wrong? I'll never understand that thinking.

I believe tht Christ taught the truth and I have faith in God which prevents me from accepting any other possiblilities. It's a definite thing. But I don't think that means that every person on earth who isnt a proclaimed Christian is wrong. I think that salvation is between them and God and don't count anyone out. That isnt for me to do.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was being sarcastic! Although I attend a church, I'm really agnostic at best. I just can't force myself to believe something that makes no sense. I questioned religion from as far back as I can remember. It just never made any sense to me that with so many religions on this planet, my parents took me to a church every Sunday that just happened to be the one, true religion. Really, putting blind faith in a book written by ignorant men thousands of years ago, probably based on fables passed down by word of mouth? It just makes no sense at all.
O wow. That makes more sense - your previous post seemed a bit out of character (but I did know that you are a churchgoer so I wasn't sure).

Anyway, I don't attend church but I'm also agnostic at best. I just can't believe that any of us have "the answers" - nor do I believe that we need them.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No God did not change His mind. Adam and Eve made a choice just like people do today. The Bibles says God had a plan for salvation before the foundation of the world, Jesus. He did not want robots, so we chose to accept Him or deny Him.
The imperfection of mankind is called sin, the answer to it is Jesus.

And today dear OP you have the choice, will you make a wrong decision like your ancestors (Adam and Eve) or will you seek God for yourself, because if you do seek God earnestly and with an open heart, praying he will show you the truth - then you are promised that you will find him. Sounds as though you are already searching, I pray God will show you the truth. It is impossible to believe God without Faith. Faith is defined as the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. But, did you know you can ASK God for Faith. You have nothing to lose by speaking to him - if he's not there then you've lost nothing, but if he is there and you ask him for understanding - well, God says if you seek you will find. I hope you do.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:56 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
O wow. That makes more sense - your previous post seemed a bit out of character (but I did know that you are a churchgoer so I wasn't sure).

Anyway, I don't attend church but I'm also agnostic at best. I just can't believe that any of us have "the answers" - nor do I believe that we need them.
Yeah, I hadn't attended church in many, many years. I compromised with my partner on raising our children in a church by joining a very open-minded church that's accepting of us. I like the music, and sermons are more "self help", meaning they aren't telling you to do X,Y,Z because the Bible says so. I've found that there is always something positive in the message that even an agnostic can enjoy. And then they're not Bible literalists and focus on love, happiness, and actual mission work to help people.

I don't really understand the need to think you know the answers either. I just accept that I can't know what happens when I die or the meaning of life. It really doesn't concern me or keep me up at night.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:07 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, I hadn't attended church in many, many years. I compromised with my partner on raising our children in a church by joining a very open-minded church that's accepting of us. I like the music, and sermons are more "self help", meaning they aren't telling you to do X,Y,Z because the Bible says so. I've found that there is always something positive in the message that even an agnostic can enjoy. And then they're not Bible literalists and focus on love, happiness, and actual mission work to help people.

I don't really understand the need to think you know the answers either. I just accept that I can't know what happens when I die or the meaning of life. It really doesn't concern me or keep me up at night.
You have 'religion' you don't have FAITH. There's a big difference. Being a christian is not just about going to church and hearing nice messages to help you face your life. It's about a real HEART CHANGE. Only Jesus can do this. That is why they talk about being BORN AGAIN - you need to be a new person and that has not happened to you. But it can! Ask Jesus to make you a new person. To come into your life and be Lord of your Life. Ask him for the faith you lack and you will get it! If you don't believe me why don't you just try it! You cannot believe of yourself because you need FAITH. Faith is a gift. God can give you that faith just ask him - you will know the difference when God really touches you. Then your wishy washy church will not appeal. Why don't you go to a Bible believing church where the Pastor can lead you to the Lord in a real way. I think you are so close to an amazing life changing event - Blessings to you!!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
Christians may have Faith but what keeps them going in such a close-minded and tunnel-vision path is that they have Fear. Fear of dying and going to Hell, Fear of being judged and not passing the test. Fear is the catalyst in most religions and Christianity is a biggie. A person can be extremely spiritual and not be a Christian. Faith comes in many packages.

You mentioned to me in another thread that my final destination would depend on what choices I make now, and in a way I agree. My choices now, how I live my life, the deeds that I do, the love I give or take, will certainly determine how my spirit continues on. But since you believe in only two destinations or afterlives (Heaven or Hell), and I believe in a spirit that continues on infinitum...we have a big parting of the ways.

I have read the Bible several times, I studied Christianity most of my life...my sister is a Christian through & through and truly walks the walk as she sees it...but we will never agree on these issues because she is not open to listening to my beliefs. She just turns it off and says she will pray for me. She is afraid to learn anything else, afraid it will shake her faith-tree and she might stumble upon something more than her own narrow belief system. That's okay...it's all okay. But we are who we are and our beliefs are what they are...I will not sway you and you will not sway me. But...I have taken many years and studied what you believe...have you ever picked up a single book or piece of literature about other beliefs? I dont mean something that was written and printed by other Christian groups...I mean the honest history of religions. Take a course in it some time and you will learn, if your mind is not too shut to it, that it's our spirit that matters...not what God or tree we choose to worship.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I believe tht Christ taught the truth and I have faith in God which prevents me from accepting any other possiblilities. It's a definite thing. But I don't think that means that every person on earth who isnt a proclaimed Christian is wrong. I think that salvation is between them and God and don't count anyone out. That isnt for me to do.
Wasn't Jesus Christ Jewish? And did he not teach the truth (word) of the Jewish God? If that is the case then shouldn't Christians really be Jewish? Also, wouldn't that make Jesus a false idol and worship of him a sin? I am being honest here with these questions and I am not trying to flame anyone.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Christians may have Faith but what keeps them going in such a close-minded and tunnel-vision path is that they have Fear. Fear of dying and going to Hell, Fear of being judged and not passing the test. Fear is the catalyst in most religions and Christianity is a biggie. A person can be extremely spiritual and not be a Christian. Faith comes in many packages.
Well, a person can rape, murder and steal all of their lives and then, if while on their death bed admit that Jesus died for their sins, they are then some how saved from an eternity in Hell.

And Catholics, well they can sin all they want as long as they go to Confession.

I know that this is not how it is supposed to work, but these two loop-holes are one of the reasons that I can't accept these religions as valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality