Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,085 times

Advertisements

I would be very interested in your thourghts on this topic. Found some websites which claim that the ten lost tribes of Israel are to be found in western Europe. That according to the Bible, the two sons of Joseph (Ephrain and Mennassah) were the fathers of Great Britain and the USA. They claim that some of Isiah - point to Israel being Great Britain - as it talks about lost Israel being in the Isles of the Sea to the North and the West. The ancient Britons from Ireland, Scorland and Wales are highlighted as possibly from the tribes of Dan - who left Assyria approx 600 years BC. Check out Brit-Am and tell me what you think. The lost tribes were to be a blessing to all nations and would be wealthy and spread to all corners of the earth. Many emmigrated from the Great Britain to USA, New Zealand, South Africa and Australia. Britain apparantly means 'of the covenant' and the Anglo-Saxons who came to Britain were originally from the Germanic areas called Saxony - but the interesting thing is that Saxon comes from the words ISSAC - the Hebrew to not pronoune their vowels, so dropping the I would leave SSAC - interpreted (apparantly) as SSACON 'SAXON'. Is this all far fetched or do you think it could be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 04:08 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I really don't think it would be possible to trace the lineage of the original population of Britain to a single source and tie it to a Biblical lost tribe. There's just too much guesswork involved and filling in the blanks with what someone wants to hear as opposed to providing substantial evidence. Britain has been invaded a number of times and even the english language reflects the fact that so many of the words are derived from foreign occupiers. The truth of the matter is that no one could possibly state who the very first people were who first set foot on the island of Great Britain. We have a general knowledge of some of the major movements of population that happened over the centuries but we'll never know all of the details.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
I found this article interesting ...

The sixteen grandsons of Noah

Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Interesting story mams, but I'd have to say it was fiction as there was no world wide flood. People first populated China more than a million years ago, and there is no record of a great flood there. Perhaps Noah's flood just occurred in the area known by his people, who probably thought that was the entire world. There was also no great flood in the Americas as the original people can attest to.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Interesting story mams, but I'd have to say it was fiction as there was no world wide flood. People first populated China more than a million years ago, and there is no record of a great flood there. Perhaps Noah's flood just occurred in the area known by his people, who probably thought that was the entire world. There was also no great flood in the Americas as the original people can attest to.

Thanks for your opinion, but I have a differing one that, yes, a world wide flood did happen. And yes, the native peoples of North America do have a flood story and there is evidence to suggest ancient Chinese peoples knew about the contents of Genesis, which supports my worldview that we're all decendants of Adam and Eve. If you're keen, here are some other articles for your reading pleasure...

Chinese Characters and Genesis
The original ‘unknown’ god of China
The Lamb of God in Chinese Characters
CHOCTAW ORIGIN LEGENDS INDEX (http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Emboucher/mikebouchweb/choctaw/originlg.htm - broken link)
Ancient Choctaw Legend of the Great Flood (http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Emboucher/mikebouchweb/choctaw/flood1.htm - broken link)
One Choctaw version of the Great Flood (http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Emboucher/mikebouchweb/choctaw/flood2.htm - broken link)
The Legend of Oklatabishi and the Oka Falamah (http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Emboucher/mikebouchweb/choctaw/flood3.htm - broken link)

As for the millions of years ... that's a whole other thread. Let's just say I have issues with all dating methods.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
Oh good grief! Of course there have been world wide floods, but this is due to the shifting of continental plates and the rising and falling of the sea and the onset & decline of ice ages. The great Sonoran Desert was once a sea...you can find sea shells up on mountain tops...but it had nothing to do with Noah or wiping out humanity. It is the result of millions of years of our planet's gradual changes. The Native Americans have countless legends about creation and how our earth and universe came to be, about why we have thunderstorms, droughts, why babies die or why the locusts wiped out their maize. Every culture has these stories... including stories of men coming from the sky (aliens?) and mating with their women, etc.

I know I'm being facetious here, but why on earth is this so important? Legends are exactly that: legends. They are myths and stories that helped ancient peoples try to understand the world around them. Much of the Bible and Christianty are composed of the same stories that were told and believed by ancient Eastern religions and myths.

There are only a certain number of ways that creation and life can be explained and thus, every ancient culture on every continent has similar myths and stories to try and put some sense into something they cannot understand nor answer. A worldwide flood is the only thing the ancient Native Americans could imagine that would put sea shells on top of mountains...and there was flooding. But credit the continental shifts and the ice-age melt downs for that.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Aside from biblical stuff, I've read that we can actually trace our lineage millions of years using our mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA)

Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
I would be very interested in your thourghts on this topic. Found some websites which claim that the ten lost tribes of Israel are to be found in western Europe. That according to the Bible, the two sons of Joseph (Ephrain and Mennassah) were the fathers of Great Britain and the USA. They claim that some of Isiah - point to Israel being Great Britain - as it talks about lost Israel being in the Isles of the Sea to the North and the West. The ancient Britons from Ireland, Scorland and Wales are highlighted as possibly from the tribes of Dan - who left Assyria approx 600 years BC. Check out Brit-Am and tell me what you think. The lost tribes were to be a blessing to all nations and would be wealthy and spread to all corners of the earth. Many emmigrated from the Great Britain to USA, New Zealand, South Africa and Australia. Britain apparantly means 'of the covenant' and the Anglo-Saxons who came to Britain were originally from the Germanic areas called Saxony - but the interesting thing is that Saxon comes from the words ISSAC - the Hebrew to not pronoune their vowels, so dropping the I would leave SSAC - interpreted (apparantly) as SSACON 'SAXON'. Is this all far fetched or do you think it could be true?
Well, for what it's worth, the Catholic church (BTW I'm not Catholic) has stated this is not true and refutes the connection that Britain and/or USA are part of the 10 lost tribes of Israel.

The Lost Tribes of Israel

I personally hold no opinion either way. The implication that they are or not has no bearing on Christ's teachings. It's a interesting topic for discussion however.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,085 times
Yes, I guess we will never know for sure who the Lost Tribes of Israel are. But, there are pointers - the stone that was placed under the present Queen of Englands Throne has been used for generations. It is supposed to be from Jacobs Pillar and was first used when the tribes of Dan first arrived in Ireland. Currently the stone is in Scotland but when the next Monarch is crowned the stone will be used again. Many people believe that Queen Elizabeth is sitting on the throne of David. Certainly, God has blessed both Great Britain and the USA abundantly - and part of the benefits of being of the Old Covenant and sons of Jacob - was to be blessed and to be a blessing to the nations.

The laws that orginated with the Doomsday book read like Exodus and the Jewish Laws. Yet, there was no Bible around then. The English Language is made up of many parts - Latin, Greek, French, German. Britain has been invaded many times but the Celtic areas stayed pretty constant for a long time.

It is interesting. I know all cultures have their stories and legends. One of the Legends in Britain was of King Arthur - who supposedly orgianted from Joseph of Armithea. (the Uncle of Mary Jesus's mother). Of course the Roman Catholics would deny all this - the catholics have quite a record for blaming the 'Jews' for killing Jesus and there are report that the Catholic church failed to help many Jews in the second World war in Germany. I am not talking about all catholics - just the church's position generally.

I am not a Jew - well, my mother's father's family had a Jewish connection (from the tribe of Judah NOT from the lost tribes). But I find History fascinating.

The truth is one truth. Not all the legends and beliefs about the orgion of man can be true. I am a Christian - and part of the New Covenant - the New Testament. Our family tree cannot be definitely traced so far back I know but it's interesting to think about and discuss.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times
"Saxon" comes from "seacs", which was the name of the knife used by that tribe. I've never read of any evidence that links the Celts with the ancient Hebrews. Most of the websites that I have seen tying Britain with the lost tribes of Israel are in some way related to Anglophiliac Christian Identity movements and include very little actual history in what they promote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality