Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times

Advertisements

I'm a very open minded person and I have mixed feelings about polygamy. I know it's nothing I'd have any interest in myself and I can't say that I understand the thinking of people who would want to be involved in this kind of arrangement. On the one hand I think that consenting adults should be allowed to live their lives the way they want to if it doesn't cause anyone any harm but what concerns me is what happens to the children who grow up in this environment. Generally we see one man with a number of wives but I think it must be very rare to see one wife with multiple husbands. The greatest concern is that polygamists live in secluded communities and their children are often pushed into arranged marriages with older men which I think is unacceptable. It's interesting that the Bible doesn't condemn polygamy and it's mentioned a number of times, King Solomon and King David were supposed to have had hundreds of wives and it was acceptable and legal. Jesus said nothing about it. Of course the American tradition of polygamy in modern times is largely due to the influence of the early Morman church who has since renounced the practice. There are secluded towns along the Arizona and Utah border which have the largest populations of polygamists in the US. The estimated number of polygamists in America ranges from 20,000 to 100,000 and it's interesting that Canada has considered making polygamy legal and doesn't enforce the law that makes it currently illegal, but of course neither does the US. What is your opinion of polygamy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,295 times
I think rich people should have many spouses.
But the requirement should be that they can only marry those on welfare.

For me personally, one wife is all I desire.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,988 times
Putting legal problems aside, I don't see anything morally wrong with adults consenting to polygamy, the problem is that the widely reported cases are always mixed in with religious brainwashing and more often than not, children.

I was watching an interesting program on BBC the other day about a couple of 3, 2 women and a man. The women were bisexual which was a bit troublesome for the man because there was always the fear that the 2 women would just leave him if he didn't well...um...perform 100%

Last edited by coosjoaquin; 07-10-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 05:13 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Putting legal problems aside, I don't see anything morally wrong with adults consenting to polygamy, the problem is that the widely reported cases are always mixed in with religious brainwashing and more often than not children.

I was watching an interesting program on BBC the other day about a couple of 3, 2 women and a man. The women were bisexual which was a bit troublesome for the man because there was always the fear that the 2 women would just leave him if he didn't well...um...perform 100%
I would hope that most of us would get attracted to a mate for more than just sexual favors.
I also have no problem if someone really wants to be in a polygamist relationship.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:57 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
I dunno Montana...I found that one wife was too many, and am much happier as a single....I can't imagine the dynamics of having several wives, and I really don't want to.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Why in the world would a man want two wives? Only thing I can imagine (besides maybe he likes variety) is that when he lusts, he would rather marry the gal, convincing himself that it is for religious purposes..Of course I hear the gov. benefits for second, third wives with a bunch of his kids draw welfare for the children, because the Gov. doesn't recognize polygamy..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,730 times
Polygamy okay? Gay marriage okay? Men marrying sheep? Women marrying horses?

.....cats living with dogs, mass hysteria!

Welcome to New Rome.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Polygamy okay? Gay marriage okay? Men marrying sheep? Women marrying horses?

.....cats living with dogs, mass hysteria!

Welcome to New Rome.
Gettin' kind of off topic there. Who the heck said anything about sheep, horses, dogs and cats? Actually my cat and dog live together and are very happy.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,844 times
I think polygramy should be legal in the USA. It would be nice to have nine wives.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Gettin' kind of off topic there. Who the heck said anything about sheep, horses, dogs and cats? Actually my cat and dog live together and are very happy.
I am not off topic at all. I am saying when does it end? Does anything pass for marriage?

As I understand it unless the husband is wealthy, most of these polygamist families are on welfare because the husband can't afford all these wives and all these children without government assistance. That's what this country needs, more welfare.........like a hole in the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality