Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I saw a program that touched on an account in the Bible in the unlikeliest of places, the Discovery Channel's Mega Disasters. The premise of the program was to demonstrate that Noah's flood could have actually happened and is not just a parable.

By using sonar and mapping the the bottom of the Bosporus Strait, they were able to show that there had been a different shoreline thousands of years ago. Core samples of the silt showed that the aquatic life changed in an instant from fresh water snails and clams to salt water. They had models to show how melting polar ice caps could raise the sea levels enough to allow the Mediterranean to breech the natural dam and change a fresh water lake to an inland saltwater sea, and the impact on the people living around the lake.

They were not saying that this was the site of Noah's flood, but only offering proof that a similar event could be the basis for the story. In this day and age, when Creationists and Darwinists are so terribly polarized, it is nice to know that some are able to bring science, faith, and history together.

I know there are others who have been involved in looking for evidence that supports stories from the Bible, can someone point me in the right direction? Books? Websites? TV? Please refrain from turning this thread into a debate over the pros or cons of Creationism or the pros or sons of anything. I am really only looking for reference material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
I saw a similar show on discovery many months ago that was a bit like that, I'll get back to you when I remember the name but it was basically a possible explanation for the plagues that apparently hit Egypt during exodus.

"bible uncovered" or something like that

Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Ken Ham's website: www.answersingenesis.org is a site devoted to upholding the bible through science.

They have many such discussions in their "get answers" section at: Get Answers

Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
The flooding of the Black Sea from massive glacier melting has been proposed as the basis of the commonplace flooding the whole world story in many cultures in the near east. However, the timing of the event does not jive with the biblical time line. And it didn't flood the whole world. It didn't even flood Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, or Iran. It was just a massive flood that wiped out the neolithic peoples who were living along the ice-age Black Sea edge that is now submerged.

So the scientific evidence of this event only supports a vague story of a massive flood and shows that if it was the source of the story, the bible/myths greatly exaggerated the event and consequences of it. Be careful how much you make up out of whole cloth with only a weak association to a myth. Exaggeration is not science.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:38 AM

553 posts, read 568,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
And it didn't flood the whole world.
In contradiction to the Biblical account.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM

70 posts, read 122,339 times
Default Read: Evidence That Demands A Verdict

MICoastieMom wrote:
“I know there are others who have been involved in looking for evidence that supports stories from the Bible, can someone point me in the right direction? Books?â€

There is a guy named Josh McDowell who was an atheist, and he was determined to prove the Bible wrong. After years of research and study, instead of proving it wrong he became convinced that it was right. He then wrote a book called Evidence That Demands A Verdict, which is a compilation of his research. Perhaps this book will help you in your search for truth.

The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=josh+mcdowell&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=37214951011&ref=pd_sl_207muqe9 k6_e

Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Oh, dear, I think I may have given John 1707, yydanay515, and Tesaje the wrong impression. The reason that I asked for people to refrain from debating or prosthletyzing is that I have a belief system to which I am committed.

I am merely interested in the subject matter. I was raised in a faith-based home where science put food on the table. My father had no problem with helping distribute communion on Sunday and going to work the rest of the week to put a man on the moon. I know that many of the astronauts back then were also involved with their respective churches.

What I find particularly disturbing, not only on C-D, but elswhere is how terribly polarized we have become. You are either a Creationist or an evolutionist. You either fall into the faith-based camp or the scientific community. I find it really hard to believe that my father and his colleagues were such an anomoly. And to look historically, they aren't. One only has to look at Copernicus or da Vinci to see scientists with great faith; or at Gregor Mendel to see a theologian with an appreciation of science.

So if, as John suggests, I am looking for truth, it is only to find men and women of science who are not conflicted between faith and science, but rather see them as a Venn diagram, overlapping in places, separate in others. After all, curiosity and the exchange of ideas are capabilites of humans alone. They are gifts from God. Why would we not use them in service to Him to further our understanding and bring us closer to Him? Isn't that a good thing?

John and Nikk and Coosjoaquin, I thank you for sharing that information. It is a start to what I hope is more prevelant that what I dare to imagine. Anyone else have suggestions for reference material?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I saw a similar show on discovery many months ago that was a bit like that, I'll get back to you when I remember the name but it was basically a possible explanation for the plagues that apparently hit Egypt during exodus.

"bible uncovered" or something like that
i don't know what it was called, but there was one like this on the history channel (i think) a few years ago that could tie all of the plagues, and the parting of the red sea (kind of) to volcanic activity off the coast of italy. it was fascinating. i am sure that they got some of it wrong (references to red sea vs. reed sea), but it was still very cool.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM

553 posts, read 568,354 times
Sorry MiCoastie. Didn't want to derail your thread at all. I (like Tasje) just wanted to set the record straight off the bat that the Black Sea flood might have been the basis for A flood story that had an effect on one of the world's earlier civilizations, but this does not mean it was a flood that covered the entire globe as the Bible claims.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:20 PM

I totally get that, yydanay, but please remember that you are looking at the event with the benefit of hindsight. 8000 years ago, the bulk of the 5 million inhabitants on earth lived in the fertile crescent. They had no idea how big the world was. When you don't know the rest of the world even exists, a flood big enough to create the Black Sea might indeed seem large enough to have flooded the entire planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality