Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:59 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A devout Mormom family will much more readily make life hard for you if you want to head for the hills.

With Catholics and Christians, it's "eh, so what?"

The criticism comes from the fact that Mormons apparently judge others, including non-Mormons, through Mormon lenses. It's the imposition of their value system. Therein lies the problem.

So, yeah, give the defecting Mormon an extra scoop of ice cream. Their trek is a little harder, given the context. I think that, if you find out a religion, a career, an educational track or even a spouse is not good for you and you do something constructive about it, you are very cool in my book.
You are right thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 08:04 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
therein lies the interpretation of some people as to what the problem is.

the majority of devout mormon families that i know have ex-mormon kids, and still love them and treat them with the respect that they too wish to be treated with. in fact, many of them are particularly supportive, hoping that the kids will see the light again someday.

the church teaches that it is not acceptable to disown or drop others for something as stupid as a difference in belief. if you think we really believed that, don't you think we would also be actively ignoring the rest of humanity?

as far as judging others through mormon lenses, there is not a person in the world that doesn't judge the rest of humanity through their own, individual lenses, so i'm not going to be foolish enough to say that it doesn't happen.

but it does not happen as often as you seem to think (note the complete generalization in your post). it is not acceptable. people need to get over petty differences such as the ones that we are discussing. but if you are going to harshly judge a congregation because they are not perfect, then you are failing on multiple levels.

either way, back to the op, i know plenty of ex-(insert any religion or lack thereof here) that are 'cool' people. i have friends and family that are ex-mormons, and i'd be a hypocrit were i to disdain them for their choices.

aaron out.
unless you know the intimate inner workings of their families you do not really know about the ex-members treatment.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
^that is true, but quite a few of the ones that i am talking about are close family and friends, where i do know (obviously not everything) a lot about the inner workings.

i also know that this ostracism is not a mormon phenomenon, though it does happen. plenty of the rest of you belong to churches that do the same thing that you are trying to make us look bad for. again, i'm not claiming that mormons are a perfect bunch (if we were, we wouldn't need Christ's atonement). i'm claiming that this overgeneralization is simply that, an overgeneralization that people are using to cement their already biased fears and resentments. that's it.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 PM

328 posts, read 565,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I like most Mormons I've met. Even worked around a lot of them, and every single individual had good work ethics. They look healthy and stay pretty true to their tenets about not consuming certain things (pork, caffeine) or tobacco, drugs or alcohol. (I do work with one who's a huge chocoholic.)
Just a FYI...

Pork isn't on the list...

Old 11-15-2008, 07:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
Just a FYI...

Pork isn't on the list...
Y'know, I didn't really think so until my husband told me that the other day. I'm married to a "jack-Mormon", and he told me that they refrain from pork. However, he probably hasn't set foot in a Mormon church since he was a teen, so his memory is shot and he's getting his facts mixed up with another religion.

Alright, so does this make my husband more "cool"? His mom was "the Mormon" in his family (not his dad), and while "cool" isn't the word that comes to mind when I think of her, she was a sweetheart, and I liked her better than my own mother, quite frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality