Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times

Advertisements

Where have you lived in your life and has that affected your religious (or non-religious) view on life?

Has a particular culture had an impact on your religion or lack thereof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
UK: Moving here has really affected our life due to the multiculturalism.
Philippines: There was something about watching fully grown men whipping and crucifying themselves that really changed my views on faith.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
UK: Moving here has really affected our life due to the multiculturalism.
Philippines: There was something about watching fully grown men whipping and crucifying themselves that really changed my views on faith.
Wow! How long were you in the Philippines?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Wow! How long were you in the Philippines?
Long enough to experience easter there. I lived with my friend on what could best be described by the west as a mudhouse. During easter, there were guys parading themselves around town wearing bags in their heads and bloody backs. Oh and I also ate cat soup which in retrospect was a little insipid but is great for breaking the ice with the ladies.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM

217 posts, read 693,013 times
my moms is a atheist my dad is a muslim...never knew him, but i took on his religion, because its went with my beliefs..and i wouldnt change it for the world..allhumdulilah.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
I can't say that my non-beliefs were actually altered in any way but living in Tokyo for two years certainly gave me an inside look at what a wonderful thing a mostly secular society can be. But, your post brings up two interesting quotes from Mark Twain that I just came across the other day, BigT. They instantly became some of my favorites:

It liberates the vandal to travel--you never saw a bigoted, opinionated, stubborn, narrow-minded, self-conceited, almighty mean man in your life but he had stuck in one place since he was born and thought God made the world and dyspepsia and bile for his especial comfort and satisfaction. - The American Abroad Speech, 1868

and

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.- Innocent Abroad

The more I read Mark Twain the more I love the man's sense of humor and style. He was so far ahead of his time...

Edit: I missed Easter by two days when I went to the Philippines. I was actually very interested in seeing the whole ceremony of self-flagellation. Perhaps another time...

Last edited by GCSTroop; 10-27-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I can't say that my non-beliefs were actually altered in any way but living in Tokyo for two years certainly gave me an inside look at what a wonderful thing a mostly secular society can be. But, your post brings up two interesting quotes from Mark Twain that I just came across the other day, BigT. They instantly became some of my favorites:

It liberates the vandal to travel--you never saw a bigoted, opinionated, stubborn, narrow-minded, self-conceited, almighty mean man in your life but he had stuck in one place since he was born and thought God made the world and dyspepsia and bile for his especial comfort and satisfaction. - The American Abroad Speech, 1868

and

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.- Innocent Abroad

The more I read Mark Twain the more I love the man's sense of humor and style. He was so far ahead of his time...
Twain is one of those people you'd like to have a three finger shot of jack daniels with and just listen..

Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Twain is one of those people you'd like to have a three finger shot of jack daniels with and just listen..
Without a doubt. I always wondered if he actually spoke in the profound way he wrote or if his deepest thoughts were best transmitted through his writing? I bet he was both... That's just my impression. I wonder what he'd have to say about the modern world as well?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Without a doubt. I always wondered if he actually spoke in the profound way he wrote or if his deepest thoughts were best transmitted through his writing? I bet he was both... That's just my impression. I wonder what he'd have to say about the modern world as well?
If he didn't sound like foghorn leghorn I would be deeply disappointed.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
If he didn't sound like foghorn leghorn I would be deeply disappointed.
That's the EXACT impression I imagine his voice to be like as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality