Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think the bigger danger is that they would become an invasive species. So I don't think they should be allowed to breed. But I would be in favor of a few one or two offs, for scientific purposes.
We killed them off once, we can do it again!!!

From foxnews:

Newly analyzed remains suggest that a modern human killed a Neanderthal man in what is now Iraq between 50,000 and 75,000 years ago.
The finding is scant but tantalizing evidence for a theory that modern humans helped to kill off the Neanderthals.
The probable weapon of choice: A thrown spear.
The evidence: A lethal wound on the remains of a Neanderthal skeleton.
The victim: A 40- to 50-year-old male, now called Shanidar 3, with signs of arthritis and a sharp, deep slice in his left ninth rib.
"What we've got is a rib injury, with any number of scenarios that could explain it," said study researcher Steven Churchill, an associate professor of evolutionary anthropology at Duke University in North Carolina. "We're not suggesting there was a blitzkrieg, with modern humans marching across the land and executing the Neandertals [aka Neanderthals]. I want to say that loud and clear."
But he added, "We think the best explanation for this injury is a projectile weapon, and given who had those and who didn't, that implies at least one act of inter-species aggression
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWishedThatItWasABee View Post
Very well said. That's exactly how I feel about the issue. On one hand, I think it would be extremely interesting and the scientific part of me is saying dooo it....but the ethical part of me thinks it wouldn't be such a good idea.
yea that was the very first thought that crossed my mind, where will he/she live? What will it do? They wouldn't have anyone else like them in the whole world. It would be really sad. Made me think of that movie 'the elephant man' based on that rare diseas,e he was a human, but he was so alone in that movie, I think the neanderthal might be like that

Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

From foxnews:

Newly analyzed remains suggest that a modern human killed a Neanderthal man in what is now Iraq between 50,000 and 75,000 years ago.
The finding is scant but tantalizing evidence for a theory that modern humans helped to kill off the Neanderthals.
The probable weapon of choice: A thrown spear.
The evidence: A lethal wound on the remains of a Neanderthal skeleton.
The victim: A 40- to 50-year-old male, now called Shanidar 3, with signs of arthritis and a sharp, deep slice in his left ninth rib.
"What we've got is a rib injury, with any number of scenarios that could explain it," said study researcher Steven Churchill, an associate professor of evolutionary anthropology at Duke University in North Carolina. "We're not suggesting there was a blitzkrieg, with modern humans marching across the land and executing the Neandertals [aka Neanderthals]. I want to say that loud and clear."
But he added, "We think the best explanation for this injury is a projectile weapon, and given who had those and who didn't, that implies at least one act of inter-species aggression
Is there any reason to think it wasn't thrown by another Neanderthal?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I agree with you about this. Probably most 'evolutionists' would consider it likely.

So you are the only one who is wrong here, by putting up a strawman dummy of 'evolution' that you then knock down to your own (solo) applause.
I don't need to make a strawman of evolution, it is its own strawman. And it is constantly redressed by those farmers, I mean evolutionist to stick in their fields.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

From foxnews:
Only Fox could take skeletal remains showing a lethal spear wound and conclude, without question, that it was a Homo sapiens sapiens who threw that spear. (Much less that one Neanderthal who died that way resulted in the extinction of the entire species).

Hmm...perhaps we don't have to speculate about cloning a Neanderthal. It may be the case that some of them are alive and well, working as editors at Fox.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, the Bible states that near the end of time. The Anti Christ to come will have a clone of Himself made. And his new partner in crime will be able to both breath, and speak. And in the end, the world will be commanded to worship his clone. So go ahead, clone the Neanderthal. It's just bringing us closer, to the clone of the Anti Christ.

Where does it say anything about clones?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, the Bible states that near the end of time. The Anti Christ to come will have a clone of Himself made. And his new partner in crime will be able to both breath, and speak. And in the end, the world will be commanded to worship his clone. So go ahead, clone the Neanderthal. It's just bringing us closer, to the clone of the Anti Christ.
(In the Andy Rooney voice): What I want to know is, why is that everytime we are having a good discussion about a topic, C34 has to come in and add something dumb to it? I mean after all, every court has its jester, so I suppose we'll just have to live with it.

This is Andy Rooney...good night.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Where does it say anything about clones?
It doesn't.. Clone, from the Greek root (for ''twig''), was coined in 1903 by the botanist H. J. Webber. The wide meaning: ''Any group of cells or organisms produced asexually from a single sexually produced ancestor.'' ( He was referring to plants )

But now if "twig" is mentioned anywhere in the bible naturally it will automatically be considered the word "clone" by our friend.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It doesn't.. Clone, from the Greek root (for ''twig''), was coined in 1903 by the botanist H. J. Webber. The wide meaning: ''Any group of cells or organisms produced asexually from a single sexually produced ancestor.'' ( He was referring to plants )

But now if "twig" is mentioned anywhere in the bible naturally it will automatically be considered the word "clone" by our friend.

So then it's safe to assume there's no impending invasion due from an army of large blobs that divide themselves like ameobas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blob.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	49209

Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Is there any reason to think it wasn't thrown by another Neanderthal?
Yeah, Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality