Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I have a question. I had a friend who was a coworker and what she called herself was a "jack Mormon". She does drink alcohol and I don't think she's active in the church although she is a believer. Anyway, when her Father whose first wife had passed away got remarried in the Mormon church in Utah where she's from, she was not allowed to attend the ceremony which I thought was very strange. She attended some family gatherings to celebrate the occasion and didn't elaborate too much about the circumstances of this situation. What do you think would be the reason for excluding a close family member from a wedding? Thanks.
Who excluded her from the wedding? Was it the father? Where were they married?

Old 12-22-2008, 05:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Your points are valid and I'll keep trying. Quite frankly, it's just that so many of the things you ask are things that are typically not asked by people who are serious about learning the truth about LDS beliefs, they are instead things typically asked by those who are steeped in the stuff found on anti-Mormon sites. Such people usually just want to publicly ridicule our beliefs and argue that their sources are right and actual Latter-day Saints lie about their beliefs or somehow have been deceived.

1. I believe that we are made in the literal image and likeness of God. We and God have two legs, two arms, two ears, a mouth, etc. similar to Jesus Christ.

2. I believe that God the Father is the father of the spirit body of Jesus Christ and also the father of the physical body of Jesus Christ His only begotten in the flesh. Whether or not God has or requires a wife to create spirit bodies I don't think has yet been revealed. My personal belief is that He does, but that's just my personal opinion and my hope, it is not an official teaching of the LDS Church, I speak only for myself.

3. I believe that each human being has the potential to 'grow up' and become much more like God than we are now, though we are made in His image and likeness. Each time we make choices towards righteousness we are becoming more like our Heavenly Father. Each time we choose to sin (break His commandments) we are moving further away from being as He is.

4. It's no secret that Mormons who have been through certain ordinances in sacred temples wear from that time on clothing that reminds them of the covenants they made with God. Orthodox Jews too wear special clothing to remind them of God and His commandments and covenants. Perhaps other religions and groups do too.
What I was asking was whether or not God used to be human or humanlike. I've read that Mormons believe that God was once human and was, somehow, elevated to God hood and that humans from this earth can also be elevated to God hood. I would hope we all develop and become more God like but I don't believe that any of us will become Gods ourselves. There is only one God.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
1. Yes we do

2. We do believe in a Heavenly Mother although she is not much talked about
in the church. We believe God the Father is Father of all our spirits but in the way you're meaning, no.

3. Yes we do.

4. Yes those who are endowed in the temple and are faithful members do. There are members who have been endowed in the temple but for personal reasons chose not too. It is a matter of faith.
Well, there we disagree. I don't think God was ever human and I don't think any of us are going to become Gods. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a God. Too much responsibility. You create children, they eat the apple and you know the rest...

Ok, how comfortable are those underwear? (Just kidding)

I would think that if God were a former human/mortal, that it would have been mentioned a time or two in the bible. Heavenly mothers too. I can see not disclosing that we could become Gods. That might go to our heads.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Dreameyes wrote:
Quote:
Who excluded her from the wedding? Was it the father? Where were they married?
I believe they were married in Salt Lake City or possibly a suburb. No, I don't believe it was her Father because they are very close. It was my understanding that her exclusion from the wedding was due to officials at the Mormon church. I wish I knew more but she didn't want to say more and I didn't think it would be appropriate to ask. Although I have a few Mormon friends I do get the feeling that this particular religion is much more regimented than other religions and tends to become involved in the personal lives of it's members more than other mainstream religions do. I don't mean any disrespect by that, it's just the impression I have from talking to a number of coworkers over the years who are Mormons. Personally I have nothing against this religion.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Well, there we disagree. I don't think God was ever human and I don't think any of us are going to become Gods. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a God. Too much responsibility. You create children, they eat the apple and you know the rest...

Ok, how comfortable are those underwear? (Just kidding)

I would think that if God were a former human/mortal, that it would have been mentioned a time or two in the bible. Heavenly mothers too. I can see not disclosing that we could become Gods. That might go to our heads.
You said like God. There is only one God. I'm not very familiar with the whole thing. We do believe that man has the potential to become a god but I don't think everyone will??? I just don't know and I don't wanna say anything false here.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Dreameyes wrote:

I believe they were married in Salt Lake City or possibly a suburb. No, I don't believe it was her Father because they are very close. It was my understanding that her exclusion from the wedding was due to officials at the Mormon church. I wish I knew more but she didn't want to say more and I didn't think it would be appropriate to ask. Although I have a few Mormon friends I do get the feeling that this particular religion is much more regimented than other religions and tends to become involved in the personal lives of it's members more than other mainstream religions do. I don't mean any disrespect by that, it's just the impression I have from talking to a number of coworkers over the years who are Mormons. Personally I have nothing against this religion.
Well the only reason anyone outside of the family would object (and that's not exactly the right way to put it) is if they were married in the temple. Members must hold a special recommend issued by their Bishop and Stake President to be able to enter the temple. If they were not married in the temple then it would be completely inappropriate for anyone other than family to have any say in the matter and personally I don't believe that would ever happen.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
You said like God. There is only one God. I'm not very familiar with the whole thing. We do believe that man has the potential to become a god but I don't think everyone will??? I just don't know and I don't wanna say anything false here.
Ok, that was ambiguous. I meant like God in becomming some kind of God. I've read that Mormons believe they can have their own planet to populate like God did ours. And that God used to be like us. That's pretty bizarre stuff.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:05 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What I was asking was whether or not God used to be human or humanlike. I've read that Mormons believe that God was once human and was, somehow, elevated to God hood and that humans from this earth can also be elevated to God hood. I would hope we all develop and become more God like but I don't believe that any of us will become Gods ourselves. There is only one God.
I am really grateful for other Latter-day Saints who contribute to this thread, I hope many more will come and participate with us. As I mentioned in the opening post we are not lock step, we are all humans and we all have our own points of view on and understandings of things that are not immediately pertinent to our salvation.

But we have many plain and simple beliefs in common. The very best place for those who are serious and sincere about learning the Gospel of Jesus Christ as taught in the LDS Church is to browse and ask questions at Mormon.org - Home as I have pointed out quite a few times now.

Ivory, I personally think that much of the misunderstanding regarding LDS beliefs is in a difference of understanding about the nature of God. Many Christians have been taught that God is incomprehensible, apparently some kind of strange being with three people crammed inside it, I don't know, to me it is a mass of confusion, I cannot wrap my mind around such a concept though many other people apparently can.

Latter-day Saints know God to be the literal father of our spirit bodies. He is not some kind of distant dictator trying to spoil our fun and pleasure on earth. He is God, the one and only God we will ever have because in my understanding "God" is God to His own children only. That's what makes Him God, he's a Father, the same as being the father of an earthly body makes that man the Father of the child, nobody else will do.

Is it possible for God's children to become like Him and share in everything that He has? I personally think that we all have that potential. The question "would you ever want to become God?" is really "would you ever want to become the Father of spirit children?"

Many people would not want to do so, maybe a few do want to live forever with their wife and to have eternal increase. I think that Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness and the atonement of Jesus Christ have made that possible after enormous amounts of training for those whose choices in mortality earned them a place in the highest mansion of the highest kingdom of glory. But ultimately in such far distant matters we are all believing and walking by faith.

I hope that helps, I speak for myself only. There are many things that individual Latter-day Saints may speculate upon that are not clearly laid out in our canon. The possibility that Heavenly Father (God) once lived on an earth like ours I think is probably among those things some of us speculate on, maybe Paul can straighten me out on that, I just don't recall if it's in our doctrine, I don't think it is.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:01 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
Quote:

Although I have a few Mormon friends I do get the feeling that this particular religion is much more regimented than other religions and tends to become involved in the personal lives of it's members more than other mainstream religions do. I don't mean any disrespect by that, it's just the impression I have from talking to a number of coworkers over the years who are Mormons. Personally I have nothing against this religion.
I would not describe Latter-day Saints as "regimented" but we do tend to keep busy with church programs for various age groups throughout the week. Being an active Mormon is not just a go to meeting on Sundays and forget church for the rest of the week environment for most active Saints, though you can be less busy if you prefer it that way.

Most members have a "calling", a 'job' to do including women visiting other women in their homes at least once a month and male priesthood holders being "home teachers" who visit families in their homes at least once a month to leave an inspiring message and to help the bishop be aware of family needs that the church could help with.

Mormon.org - Membership in Christ's Church

Core Beliefs: Why and How Are Mormons Different? - LDS Newsroom

Busy as we can be, every Monday night is kept free of church activity so families can gather together in their homes for a "family home evening." We're very family oriented and always take our children to church with us.

Dreameyes addressed your concern about the wedding. It seems obvious that the wedding was held in a temple where the bride and groom were sealed to each other not only "until death do you part" but for time and all eternity, subject to their faithfulness to each other and the covenants they made with God.

Only members with a temple recommend are allowed inside the sealing rooms of the temple but the service is usually brief and others in the wedding party can wait in a comfortable lobby for the couple to come out. Some couples have receptions etc. to include everyone soon after the temple marriage. It means a great deal to LDS couples to have their marriage sealed for eternity in a temple. If they are first married civilly or by a bishop outside a temple, they usually have to wait a year before they can have their marriage "sealed" in a temple.

Thanks for your interest and your participation in this thread, Merry Christmas.

Last edited by justamere10; 12-23-2008 at 06:13 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 06:09 AM

No, I would not want to become father or mother to spirit children. There are plenty of spirits in this universe now. We don't need anymore.

Besides I already am mom to spirit children. My children do have spirits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality