Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM

280 posts, read 1,136,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
So you don't know what you would do or how it would make you feel.
I'll try answering this question a third time for you. I'd pray with my wife to see if he is really delivering a message from God. It is possible that I would be angry at Him for trying to take my wife away. But it's also possible that, if it is a message from God, that He would provide the comfort and peace that I need to make the right decision. There's no way to know exactly what I would do or how I would feel in a hypothetical situation. I'm sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for or is a good enough answer for you but it's the best I can do when talking about a situation I've never been in before.

I've got to head out to an appointment now. Hopefully someone else will be along soon to occupy your time and attempt to answer your questions.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 AM

280 posts, read 1,136,088 times
Quote:
Kind of like the adam and eve story.

I am sure your wife is a wonderful woman, I hope you tell her that often.
I've never thought of it that way before but I suppose it is kind of like Adam and Eve.

My wife is a great woman and she knows very well that that's what I think of her.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I wonder what your purpose is to ask such a strange question.

I believe that the living Prophet of God speaks for Him. In such a situation my wife and I would pray together to get a confirmation from God directly that such a thing was commanded of us by Him.
The Wives of Joseph Smith - Zina Huntington Jacobs
The Wives of Joseph Smith - Presendia Huntington Buell
Just a few examples.

Very strange indeed, let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
I'll try answering this question a third time for you. I'd pray with my wife to see if he is really delivering a message from God. It is possible that I would be angry at Him for trying to take my wife away. But it's also possible that, if it is a message from God, that He would provide the comfort and peace that I need to make the right decision. There's no way to know exactly what I would do or how I would feel in a hypothetical situation. I'm sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for or is a good enough answer for you but it's the best I can do when talking about a situation I've never been in before.

I've got to head out to an appointment now. Hopefully someone else will be along soon to occupy your time and attempt to answer your questions.
I think your church history is fascinating just wondering what modern day mormons would do if put in a situation that has happened before.

There is no right or wrong answer. I am just curious.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Very strange indeed, let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.
Here's a hypothetical for you:

If, as could happen any day now, there were wars in which your husband and most of the men in your nation were killed, leaving very few men alive, and many women:

Would you choose, if asked, to marry a man who had the ability and the means to protect and provide for several women but had already married a few?

I'm just responding to your comment that is obviously based on your negative attitude towards what happened in the early days of the LDS Church. Perhaps polygamy in the future could be a blessing for many women, just as it was in the past.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Here's a hypothetical for you:

If, as could happen any day now, there were wars in which your husband and most of the men in your nation were killed, leaving very few men alive, and many women:

Would you choose, if asked, to marry a man who had the ability and the means to protect and provide for several women but had already married a few?

I'm just responding to your comment that is obviously based on your negative attitude towards what happened in the early days of the LDS Church. Perhaps polygamy in the future could be a blessing for many women, just as it was in the past.
Well I am not a big fan of marriage, but if I were I would rather marry another woman then share a man.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:40 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
I think it's true that the first thing that comes to mind when some men consider polygamy is the few minutes a day or a week or whatever that spouses obey God's commandment to multiply and replenish the earth and engage in sexual relations. Nothing else seems to be important to some men.
Joseph Smith was a man.

Quote:
Faithful adult Saints would have been keeping God's law of tithing whether or not they were married. Joseph Smith was not a wealthy man and his life was far from easy. He was murdered by a mob gathered to do just that before he reached his 40th birthday.

If God the Father, Jesus Christ, Peter, James and John, John the Baptist, Moses, Elijah, etc. all appeared to you and told you that you had been chosen to be the Prophet of a dispensation of time would you consider yourself to be "a horny sociopath" or would you probably conclude that you met with God's approval?
If they did that, I would probably think I was crazy, and/or end up believing in god. However, a 'horny sociopath' would easily make up those claims in order to get away with his otherwise socially unacceptable behavior.

Quote:
You reveal much about your own character by making that disrespectful accusation about the founder of the fourth largest church in America, one of the fastest growing in the world.
You reveal much about your gullibility and wishful thinking by not questioning motives and blindly believing one person's claims that just happened to enable him to control and manipulate so many people.

Sociopaths are real, and they have any number of evil motives that oftentimes involve controlling others.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
You reveal much about your gullibility and wishful thinking by not questioning motives and blindly believing one person's claims that just happened to enable him to control and manipulate so many people. Sociopaths are real, and they have any number of evil motives that oftentimes involve controlling others.
Latter-day Saints have no interest in controlling others. "Control" in your context would go against the very grain of LDS belief in free agency, the right to choose for oneself behavior that could have eternal consequences.

"No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile-" D&C 121: 41-42

Last edited by justamere10; 01-09-2009 at 07:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
And what would you do if your prophet visited your home and told you god revealed to him that he needed to marry your wife and consecrate the union, but it would need to remain private.
LOL! I'd ask him if he really meant "consecrate" or if he maybe meant "consumate." I'm assuming you know the difference.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:35 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
I always think the sisters have it easier without having the priesthood. They get all the blessing without the responsibilites that come with it. I know from conversations I've had with my wife that she prefers it that way.
Well, all I can say is I am quite happy about not having to go to yet another meeting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality