Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times

Advertisements

The potlucks will be better on Island C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM

414 posts, read 777,078 times
Post maths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
On island A, I don't expect to see any religion at all appearing spontaneously. With proper education, people have no need to invent an explanation to lightning - or to the apparition of human beings.
I would expect the society to be more peaceful than ours, since everybody would have a higher level of education and that can be linked to a lower crime rate. I would still, however, expect people to lie, cheat, steal a bit, kill each other for love, money or a disagreement over football, do drugs... Humans will always be humans .

On island B, I suppose it very much depends on how much religion is given to the children. If the parents are fundies, the children are much more likely to turn fundie themselves.
I would still expect the average religious level of the children to be lower than their parents'. After all, atheism is correlated with education level. How many creationists really know about evolution?
Therefore, if the experiment lasted for many generations, I would expect the society to eventually become similar to that of island A - with perhaps a few fundies taking their children out of the schools and starting a small religious community on an isolated part of the island .

On island C? Depends on how isolated the children are from those with another religion. If they go to the same schools, eat together etc., I would expect little else than loud disagreements over the dinner table. Now, separate them, and you have the recipe for a holy war. After all, the Old Testament is all about killing those who worship "false deities".
I would also expect violence and crime level reminiscent of the middle ages. Modern science - and atheism - would take as much time to develop as in the real world: centuries.

Seeing only a seeming logic apparently based on the assumption that people are born ("thrown") into this world as "blanks" who would only need to be fed the standard information of the day while left unattended with their personal memories of an individual pathway ....
Utter confusion on any of the islands, imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality