Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,923,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Really...atheism is simply irrational. I'm not suggesting that you can control what you "believe" intellectually or not--but you can control what you're willing to consider.
Oh please. What's more irrational...requiring thought, evidence, facts, and logic to make a decision about something?

OR

Choosing willy-nilly that everything happens because of some magical, unseen wizard in the sky, and logic bedamned?

Puh. Leeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,004,304 times
Quote:

Really...atheism is simply irrational. I'm not suggesting that you can control what you "believe" intellectually or not--but you can control what you're willing to consider.

I guess it all come down to what one thinks this God is.

My point of view, It is the creative force behind all things. We know the universe was created because it is here, how it got here really doesn't matter, nor will it change anything with the exception of "now we know", ok, now what? By knowing how the universe came into existence will it change people lives, will it make this planet a more peaceful place to live, will it put a stop to wars, starvation or any of the things that plague humanity? Once we solve this question, it comes down to what do we do with the information, do we pat ourselves on the back and say "Next".

Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
the one who does not believe in God he also does not believe in the last day and in heaven and hell

so what are the the proofs that makes him so comfortable
Gotcha ... well even if you go completely by science we do know one day the earth will be destroyed. In a religious sense it can be called apocalyse or armageddon but in a scientific sense the dinosaurs were completely wiped out in the past and so can man. Life is a very fragile thing and it's a miracle either way you look at it we are here.

Near-Earth object - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I spoke with a physics teacher once (who was also religious) and she had a very interesting explanation for heaven in a scientific/metaphysics sense she explains that energy is neither created or destroyed (conservation of energy) and thus what religion deems our souls which powers our bodies, in science is deemed as energy, this energy just goes back into the universe when we die as our souls may go towards "heaven", heaven basically means the universe. She explained some interviews of near-death experiences where people see "the light" and how she believes that heaven may be an alternate universe perhaps opposite of a black hole where our energies are merely transformed into another dimension in time and space thus life or energy is indeed eternal. What about hell? Well there is what's called positive energy and then there is also negative energy. As if someone is sad you feel a negative energy around them and you feel sad. Well this negative energy in a metaphysical sense gets trapped in time or gets warped back in time and is never transpired to "heaven". I find it a fascinating story, but to believe it or not is up to your wild imagination.

Personally I try not to explain spirituality through both belief systems - science and religion. They are different belief systems, where science is better used to measure things that can be physically weighed. While as religion a instrument when channeled properly to fulfill our spiritual needs. But I do have respect for both systems of belief and try my best to understand them both. God bless!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,251,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you don't have risk, you don't have life...All life is a risk, and fear of the unknown is the creator of all religion.
i agree with you about risk
but if 1% of the risk could result hell then i think we should played the save way

Old 01-05-2009, 12:11 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,923,573 times
Quote:
i agree with you about risk
but if 1% of the risk could result hell then i think we should played the save way

Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,527,920 times
Has anyone read Zecharia Sitchin's "The Twelth Planet" and his theroy. It has been many years since I read it. I believed he deciphered Sumerian texts, and came to the conclusion that we were were "made" by "others". They experimented with DNA and developed several prototypes. These "gods" were in need of gold and someone to mine it. It was very involved. Finally they came up with man.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,251,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hummmm, it has been my experience over time that those who only see two options are missing a lot of the picture. I remind myself daily that there are always more options than I have awareness of. Oft-times I am too close to an event to see it properly, if I can only envision two options, I need a better perspective.

after the option of God it does not matter if there is one option or centillion options
because they are all not true except the option of God of course

Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Quote:
All the spin aside....how did the universe come to exist? Everything has a cause. What caused the universe?
OK, just for the sake of arguementation, then, assuming your premise to be correct, then...what caused god? If you, as do most christers, say god always existed, then, there is no conflict in believeing that if something could always exist, then the universe could just as easily, always existed.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Quote:
after the option of God it does not matter if there is one option or centillion options
because they are all not true except the option of God of course
As it was explained to me many years ago, by someone much wiser than I. "The pathway of everlasting ignorance is found in the attitude of contempt prior to investigation." ie. "It don't fit with what I believe so it's gotta be wrong!!!!"

Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,882 times
Quote:
All the spin aside....how did the universe come to exist?

Everything has a cause. What caused the universe? esselcue above is actually willing to ascribe it to "an energy force". Ok. That's a start. It's more logical than believing that it always existed, or just saying the "big bang", with nothing prior to it.

And so I ask, have you ever considered anything other than Christianity as the basis for the Universe? I have studied Christianity...honest. I have probably read more books, taken more classes and watched more programs on everything Christian than I can even count...but I have also studied many other concepts. So, yes, I have considered all of it...and my belief is that life and the Universe is much, much more complicated and yet much more simple than the presence of a God Creator could ever make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality