Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:52 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times

Advertisements

I always wonder what do you think those you have known and loved who have died long ago are doing as we speak. I know if there is an afterlife, there must be some kind of transition period, but then what? I often think about a few friends of mine who were twins, and they committed suicide many years ago at a young age. First one, then weeks later the other followed. I often wonder if they are still together, and what would they be doing right now. What do you think goes on in the afterlife after so long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times
Depending from which perspectives :

From Islam - When a person dies, he wil in be another element - the barzah - this is something like a transition place where all the dead will be in before they await the End of time and the arrival of the Judgement Day. Each soul will be by him/herself. A good soul will have peace & tranquility and where once a day the gates of paradise will be opened for him to view what awaits him making him impatient for the End of the World to come soonest. A bad soul will be tortured and in a dark place where the gates of hell will be opened to let see him what awaits him.
Each soul is responsible for his own deeds and garner the rewards or the punishments solely on that...no sons of god to redeem them.
Unfortunately suicides are not likely to end up in paradise

Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
In my culture and belief, when one passes away, their spirit goes on to the next world, and in the case of your friends, they have much to learn, so their spirits will be in the next world for some time before going on from there, they left this world too early and was not able to gain the knowledge and wisdom from this world in order to carry them over to the next, so they will spend more time in the next world to gain that knowledge and wisdom before going on to the next. In my culture there is no stigma to taking one's own life.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
I tend to agree with Ptsum's beliefs. It is similar to Buddhism, as well, but without the reincarnation. Souls that depart this world too soon are destined to have to spend more time in the next life learning. Suicide is a very personal thing, hardest on the ones left behind, certainly not something to punish nor criticize and I would assume that a caring God would understand when someone takes their own life. He must know the private pain and hopelessness they were feeling.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
If there was an afterlife, then what happens to those who die at birth. No memories, no friends, only true connection I guess would be with mother. Just doesn't make sense to me...

Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I was thinking the other day that this year it will have been twenty five years since my Father died. It's sad to think about but I have to acknowledge that he no longer exists and obviously can't be engaged in some sort of activity that dead people do. That's just not realistic and he didn't believe in anything like that while he was alive either. Death means the end of life, not the beginning of some new adventure or a journey to some new phase of existence. I realize it makes people feel better to believe that but there's no reason to believe there's any truth to it.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
I see death as a chance to recycle our energy and organic compounds back to nature. Who or what gets the matter and energy is as wide as nature itself.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I see death as a chance to recycle our energy and organic compounds back to nature. Who or what gets the matter and energy is as wide as nature itself.
i think its kind of sad if that's all Man is created to be - waste materials

Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
Since so many different faiths/nonbelievers have different thoughts on what happens after we die...do you think it is possible that all those different things happen? Is it possible that our "fate" is dependent on what we believe when we are alive?

I tend to think that the same thing happens to all of us regardless of what we believe. In response to the OP, I believe that those who have died are "asleep" in death as Lazarus was before Jesus resurrected him.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
i see death as a chance to recycle our energy and organic compounds back to nature. Who or what gets the matter and energy is as wide as nature itself.
soylent green??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality