Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
I am an agnostic, but I am genuinely interested in the opinions on this.

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, where would they be now, for it was sin that led to their deaths? Would they still be on earth, because that is what God wanted them to do....become fruitful and fill the earth.

Did God already have a plan to take them to heaven at some time or as Psalm 115:16 says, 'The earth he has given to the sons of men.'

Was heaven an afterthought, or a change to the original plan, because I cannot see anywhere in the Old Testament that the Israelites ever had a heavenly hope?
Someone would have somewhere down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Global warming would have to have existed....
The North and South Poles wouldn't have been discovered......
Bathroom would not be in the dictionary.....
Nobody would play baseball because the pitcher would throw a perfect game everytime......
A wife would never wonder if her husband was listening to her.....
I would know where the remote is......

Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
At the end of Genesis 2, it says Adam and Eve were naked and not ashamed. It doesn't say they didn't know what their genitals were to be used for...just that there was no stigma or shame attached to them.
Chapter 3 Verse 7 says, "And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked." There's no way we can possibly know for sure, and we may just have to agree to disagree. If they didn't realize that they were naked until they ate the forbidden fruit, it stands to reason that their genitals had never been a source of curiosity, interest or stimulation. It was not until Chapter 4 Verse 1 that we are told, "And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived and bare Cain..." Again, this doesn't state conclusively that they didn't have sexual relations until after the Fall, but there is no indication that they did in any of the preceding chapters. Since they had all the right equipment, I think it's reasonable to assume that since they hadn't figured out that they were naked, they hadn't taken the next step either.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,160 times
So a number of people are saying here that it is a GOOD thing that Adam and Eve sinned? So that we would not be living a boring existence in Paradise? So that we would not have experienced Jesus love for us? We would never have had the chance of going to heaven?

Weigh this against all the suffering from the time they sinned till now and you are saying it was all worth it to experience Jesus' love? Wow. And I am sure Jesus was just dying (pardon the pun) to be nailed to a cross for a world full of worthless sinners, who all deserved to burn for eternity. (According to Christians)

If we dont want a perfect world, why do we all want rid of war, disease, suffering, pain and even death? After all, a world without these things would be bound to be boring would it not? Its these things that spice up our lives and make them worth living don't they? I certainly could do without them and I dont have half the problems some people have.

Also, when you bring our lives down to their bare bones, why do we need to learn and grow now? We are all going to die..... all that knowledge and experience is not going to benefit us one iota, except for a few short years.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:36 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I wish they had not sinned..I like the paradise idealogyAlso there would never have been any reason for the sacrifice of Christ and no need for the bible

Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
So a number of people are saying here that it is a GOOD thing that Adam and Eve sinned? So that we would not be living a boring existence in Paradise? So that we would not have experienced Jesus love for us? We would never have had the chance of going to heaven?
Explain love of god.

Quote:
Weigh this against all the suffering from the time they sinned till now and you are saying it was all worth it to experience Jesus' love? Wow. And I am sure Jesus was just dying (pardon the pun) to be nailed to a cross for a world full of worthless sinners, who all deserved to burn for eternity. (According to Christians)
You bring your own sufferings, this is part of being alive. If you want to be a robot without feeling happiness, sadness, and yes, even suffering, than you can go to your heaven.

Quote:
If we dont want a perfect world, why do we all want rid of war, disease, suffering, pain and even death? After all, a world without these things would be bound to be boring would it not? Its these things that spice up our lives and make them worth living don't they? I certainly could do without them and I dont have half the problems some people have.
Define perfect?

Quote:

Also, when you bring our lives down to their bare bones, why do we need to learn and grow now? We are all going to die..... all that knowledge and experience is not going to benefit us one iota, except for a few short years.
In heaven, you don't have to learn, or grow, everything would be handed out to you by your god. Why bother to use your brain? Imagine this for eternity?

You know, when only thing you do is follow, the scenery never changes.....

Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I agree with you that they were given that commandment. But how do you interpret the verses which imply that they were still sexually unaware, and the change that came over them after they were cast out?[/color]
I don't think God would have given them the command without intending them to reproduce in Eden.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,203,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Chapter 3 Verse 7 says, "And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked." There's no way we can possibly know for sure, and we may just have to agree to disagree. If they didn't realize that they were naked until they ate the forbidden fruit, it stands to reason that their genitals had never been a source of curiosity, interest or stimulation. It was not until Chapter 4 Verse 1 that we are told, "And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived and bare Cain..." Again, this doesn't state conclusively that they didn't have sexual relations until after the Fall, but there is no indication that they did in any of the preceding chapters. Since they had all the right equipment, I think it's reasonable to assume that since they hadn't figured out that they were naked, they hadn't taken the next step either.
I believe the forbidden fruit expanded their minds to include thoughts and emotions that we typically label 'negative' - it was afterall the knowledge of good AND evil. I interpret these passages in Genesis to mean they knew they were naked all along. They had been told to multiply and fill the earth in Genesis 1 so they knew about sexual reproduction. It just never occurred to them to be embarrassed by their bodies until after they obtained the knowledge of good and evil from the forbidden fruit.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
I don't think God would have given them the command without intending them to reproduce in Eden.
Why not? If Eden was literally a place apart from the rest of the world, a place where they would want to stay forever, don't you think it would have become pretty crowded within a short period of time? If they were not subject to death prior to eating the forbidden fruit, do you think it would have just been them who would have lived forever? Or do you believe their children would have also been immortal? I believe that God wanted them to multiply and replenish "the Earth" -- not "the Garden."

Also -- if God had really wanted them to remain in blissful ignorance forever (which would have been the case had they never eaten the forbidden fruit), why do you suppose He permitted Lucifer to tempt them in the first place? Stop and think about it... They did not know the difference between good and evil. They knew they'd been given some instructions and a warning about what would happen if they disobeyed, but they'd never even known someone who had died before. The warning, "you will surely die" meant about as much to them as it would have meant to a four-year-old. I'm not saying they were unintelligent. They were simply naive. They had never experienced anything but pure bliss. Then here comes temptation. They are promised that a single bite of fruit will turn them into gods. Of course they gave in! Who wouldn't have in their situation? All I'm saying is that if it had been God's intention that they never leave Eden and never experience the trials that mortality brings, He could easily have made sure that there was no temptation at all. He could still have placed two trees in the Garden and given them the same instructions exactly. They would still have had their free will. They'd just have probably never given the forbidden fruit a second thought.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
I believe the forbidden fruit expanded their minds to include thoughts and emotions that we typically label 'negative' - it was afterall the knowledge of good AND evil. I interpret these passages in Genesis to mean they knew they were naked all along. They had been told to multiply and fill the earth in Genesis 1 so they knew about sexual reproduction. It just never occurred to them to be embarrassed by their bodies until after they obtained the knowledge of good and evil from the forbidden fruit.
Okay, well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this then. To me, "they didn't know that they were naked" means "they didn't know that they were naked."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality