Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,559 times

Advertisements

We are created in God's image because in the future we will be given eternal life and become members of the God Family! God's plan was to use Satan to teach us the lessons of rejecting God and his ways. He let him sway the World for 6000 years; then for Jesus Christ to rule for the next 1000 years... so we will see the difference and remember the lesson forever.

Reading the Bible, I get the idea that once immortality is given it cannot be taken back. The angels were created immortal and a third rebelled. There is no salvation for them nor can they be destroyed... so they face the horrible torment in the Lake of Fire forever!

God in his infinite mercy does not want any human who rejected him and his way to suffer the same fate as the fallen angels. So in the Great White Throne Judgment those whose names are not found in the Book of Life will be cast into the Lake of Fire and die a 2nd and merciful final death.

Last edited by wilvan; 02-20-2009 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 03:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
We are created in God's image because in the future we will be given eternal life and become members of the God Family! God's plan was to use Satan to teach us the lessons of rejecting God and his ways. He let him sway the World for 6000 years; then for Jesus Christ to rule for the next 1000 years... so we will see the difference and remember the lesson forever.

Reading the Bible, I get the idea that once immortality is given it cannot be taken back. The angels were created immortal and a third rebelled. There is no salvation for them nor can they be destroyed... so they face the horrible torment in the Lake of Fire forever!

God in his infinite mercy does not want any human who rejected him and his way to suffer the same fate as the fallen angels. So in the Great White Throne Judgment those whose names are not found in the Book of Life will be cast into the Lake of Fire and die a 2nd and merciful final death.
Sounds like some advertisement for a SciFi movie coming to a theatre near you.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
King James Bible
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Click on the link and you will see ALL the versions of that passage in the bible that specifically says it.

Really? You need me to define Image and one of the most famous passages in the Bible? These are both common knowledge in "Western" society.
I don't know what you're referring to when you say, "both" are common knowledge. I only asked you to explain a single word: image. I also asked for three examples of how you would use the word in everyday conversation, which shouldn't have been that difficult. You gave me just one.

Anyway, let's go with what we have. "He is the image of his uncle." What's the first thing you think of when you hear someone say that?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Are you trying to knock sense into your own head? Because this point is very valid. I see that you just tend to go on any anti-religion thread and just smack your head...what's your point? What do you bring to these arguments? You do absolutely nothing to enhance your side of the argument, you just troll...

If god is so powerful and he created man in his image, why would man have the capacity for sin? That would imply that god himself is a sinner. Otherwise, he was just a weakling that couldn't control his offspring.

If I am a father and my son becomes a rapist, murderer, drug addict or thief, I would have failed as a father. Considering we have 2,000,000 people in Prison in this country alone, God would have to be the worst "father' in the history of the world. After all, "we're all gods children", right? If so, he's a pretty crappy father!
By reading the comments, this is the only thing that comes to my mind. LOL Sometimes I wonder do people listen to themselves before they actually write out their words. I guess not. LOL

Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times
1. God did not create Man in his image.

2. If Adam and Eve did not eat the forbidden fruit, i guess we would all still be in paradise right now living the good life and worshiping our Creator.

3. But fate is written and now their children are scattered all over this world. As to why, there are calamities, failures etc etc in this world, the reason is simple. This has now become a test for all of Adam/Eve's descendants - to see whether we would persevere and keep our faith in Him despite whatever adversities that came our way.

4. If we are able to do that then the rewards are a hundredfold compared to the sufferings here. 60 years of endless toil and patience = Eternal life in paradise. Isn't that a very generous offer by the Creator?

5. That is why i think the atheists have got it all wrong. They are expecting a kind of paradise here in this earth where to them if God exists these conditions would already be in effect here thus elimination of human misery etc etc. What they are expecting will be delivered by God - but not on this earth which is but a short temporary stay for all - but in the afterlife when the universe will be rolled up and folded and mankind stand to be judged. This earth is but a transit station and we are its passengers who will know where we will alight only at the end of the journey.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Adam, as God created him, was perfect. Sin has corrupted us and causes bad things to happen.

As for your question about God's nature? God is presented as male in gender. He is not physical, so really...there is no "physical" body.

I don't believe something perfect can create something less than perfect.....can it ? If it can, then I would think it was never perfect in the first place.

Perfect would leave no room for imprefection, and creating something imperfect would require an imperfection in the perfect being right ?

We were created with an ego....the ego is the human part of us, as opposed to the spirtual part of us. To live a life in this physical earth we need to have the "fight or flight" response to danger as it presents itself. Otherwise we'd all be living very short lives...as in days or weeks at most. The ego in us is what causes us at time to be selfish, judgemental, greedy etc...Obviously we need to keep the ego in check at all times....but none the less it's a necessity that we have one to survive in the physical world.

We are here just as we're supposed to be. We're here to experience the physical, to learn, to grow and mature into more kind and loving beings to our fellow travelers.

The details I know not....but I'm comfortable in the fact that we did nothing wrong to be here as we are. It wasn't eating an apple that made the weeds grow in my lawn, or the rocks to stub my toe....it's just as it's supposed to be to learn the lessons I/we need to learn to advance in our spirtual journey.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
1. God did not create Man in his image.
We are created in God's image but not yet perfect. Since we are created with free will, we need time and experience to develop spiritually. In the future we will be perfect when we are given eternal life.
-----------------
Gen 1
27:
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 AM

Location: Gilbert, Arizona... a suburb of metro Phoenix in the East Valley
154 posts, read 287,867 times
Quote:
Is "God" a drug-addicted, bisexual, crossdressing, homicidal maniac who rapes, tortures, robs and kills the innocent?

After all, if man is in his image, where does man's capacity for evil come from? Where do man's flaws come from? Would "God" have created such imperfection unless it was in "him" as well?
WOW... thanks for offending all bisexuals on the planet. So, to you, being bisexual is man's 'flaw' and evil??? Amazing... I do not find it a 'flaw' - it may be a challenge, but certainly not a personality flaw or character weakness. Nor would I call being bisexual 'evil' either... how can what one is as a uniquely-created human being be considered evil? I love the Lord my God with all my heart, mind, soul and strength - and my neighbor as myself, yet because I am bi, I am evil? I embrace myself fully as God has created me... being bisexual is not something I can control... I just am. I mean, some people like vanilla cones, some like chocolate ones and some like them swirled with both... is liking both evil? How can one control what or whom attracts them? How can one shelve a part of who they are simply because one calls being what they are as evil? I cannot believe my loving God views bisexuals as evil... especially those who have have given their lives to Him become fully devoted followers of His only son who gave us all the precious gift of eternal life, simply for the asking. I became bisexual years AFTER accepting Jesus into my life - and it took me several years to realize God loves me AS I AM for WHO I AM, regardless... and there is no shame within me for being bi. If God loves me unconditionally, then how can I as one who's accepted His boundless love feel ashamed of WHO I am as a new creation in Christ? I tortured myself over being bi until I came to the realization that I am unconditionally loved and eternally forgiven always through grace. Once I confessed myself to my Lord and no longer hid my 'shame' did I only begin to embrace myself fully as God has made me - and as He's loved me... fully.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,386 times
for the op

is this statement have to refer to any resemblance or likeness between the created and the Creator ?

from my islamic point of view , no it dosn't

This statement is not meant to compare or anthropomorphize GOD . may be this refers to the fact that Allah created Adam with the ability to hear, see, and speak at will. These are also attributes of Allah, for He is All-Hearing, All-Seeing, and He speaks when He wants, and He has a Face, may He be glorified and exalted.
However, this does not imply that there is any resemblance or likeness between the created and the Creator, as the image of Allah differs from that of His creatures. What is meant is that He is All-Hearing, All-Seeing, He speaks when He wants, and He has a Face; and He created Adam also able to hear and see; with a face, hands and feet, and the ability to speak at will.

But humans’ faculties of hearing, seeing, speaking, as well as their image, bear no resemblance to those of Allah, (except for the terms used to identify them). Rather Allah has Attributes that befit His Majesty and Might, and nothing can be compared to Him, and man has attributes that befit him, attributes that are finite, imperfect and weak, whereas the Attributes of Allah are perfect, everlasting, and infinite, with no shortcomings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality